Tube rattle in Peavey Classic 30?

dennis138

• Members

Bought a Peavey Classic 30, and I'm bringing it home and there's this crazy rattling noise coming from the amp while I'm driving. I got it home and everything works fine and there is no rattling. I imagine this was the tubes making the noise. Now, I'm afraid to take it out of the house to jam with people. Is this a common problem with Classic 30s and is there a solution to the problem?

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

Could just be the reverb tank. Just check that the tubes are properly in their sockets and it should be fine.

+1

Reverb tanks rattle all the time when moving amps around. As long as there is no rattling while you're playing it, then it's fine.

• Members

Originally posted by dennis138

Thanks. It's my first tube amp. Can you mess tubes up by transporting them or maybe screwing them in too tight. I've heard they are evry fragile and I'm almost afraid to touch them.

You'll mess them up by screwing them in that's for sure! They just push into the sockets. They're about as fragile as a light bulb so don't be scared of them!

One thing you should be careful with though is making sure you wait for them to cool down before moving the amp - they're more fragile when hot.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny toetags

See if it does it when playing.

C30's are known to have tube rattle.

Go on ebay and get Toms Tube Tamer (7370537299)

I had to get one when i had a classic 30.

Fixed the problem right away.

There has been no rattling when I actually play. Does that mean I really don't need Toms Tube Tamer?

• Members

Originally posted by dennis138

There has been no rattling when I actually play. Does that mean I really don't need Toms Tube Tamer?

No you don't need it. I really expect the rattle is the reverb tank - it's a metal box with springs in it & it's designed to "rattle".

• Members

Originally posted by TU BE

+1

Reverb tanks rattle all the time when moving amps around. As long as there is no rattling while you're playing it, then it's fine.

I think that's what it is because there is no rattling when I play. Thanks guys. I LOVE tube amps. My old S.S. was great for maxing out the gain but this amp has so much more character to it.

Archived