help with fender amps

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I've really gotten into old fenders lately, and I would like to know how they rate as far as how dirty they can get... I'll put my bandmaster up at the top of the crunchiest, simply because in my limited experience it's been the one to get raunchiest when cranked... and I'll put a twin at the bottom as damn near impossible to get overdriven, along with a bassman... where does a dual showman rank on this list? I'm guessing it's closer to the twin side... also, how about a super reverb? I think of these as overdrivable, but not quite like a bandmaster... or am I wrong... Honestly, I've only played twins, bassmans, and bandmasters... I'm trying to get a sense of scale, so if my assumptions are wrong, let me know!

• Members

My 59 Bassman can get good med gain when craked on it's own. ( I post clips here and there, you can do a search for me if ya want) But for some good gain I'll use a boss eq to boost it. Pretty much any tweed fender is going to crunch more than the silver and blackface fenders due to preamp design for the most part.

• Members

Super Reverb will distort more than the bandmaster because it has an extra gain stage just becaue it's got the reverb in it. They use it as a reverb mixer in the amp. If you had the bandmaster reverb is the real good one to get and you can do all kinda things with them as far as modding ect.:thu:

• Members

First of all, a Dual Showman is a Twin reverb in a head configuration.

A Super reverb overdrives nicely but is pretty loud at that point.

If you're looking for Fender tone w/ some dirt at reasonable volume levels, I would say check out the Hot Rod Deluxe or
one of the lower powered amps like a Deluxe or a Princeton.

If you want dirty Fender tones, check out some of the older
tweed amps. These can get down right nasty at volume levels
that won't pop your eardrums.

I always loved the 6V6 powered Fender amps but didn't like
how they farted out when driven hard. I wound up putting a
princeton reverb into a head configuration & ran it into a 1X12
or a 2X12 cabinet.

Another thing you might consider is finding a Fender amp that
gets you the clean to mid gain tones you like & running your
favorite OD pedal in front to get you the dirt you crave.

Good luck & enjoy the journey.

Princrig.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by xMadiMx

Super Reverb will distort more than the bandmaster because it has an extra gain stage just becaue it's got the reverb in it. They use it as a reverb mixer in the amp. If you had the bandmaster reverb is the real good one to get and you can do all kinda things with them as far as modding ect.
:thu:

xmadimx...
Please explain about the mods!!

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

I've really gotten into old fenders lately, and I would like to know how they rate as far as how dirty they can get... I'll put my bandmaster up at the top of the crunchiest, simply because in my limited experience it's been the one to get raunchiest when cranked... and I'll put a twin at the bottom as damn near impossible to get overdriven, along with a bassman... where does a dual showman rank on this list? I'm guessing it's closer to the twin side... also, how about a super reverb? I think of these as overdrivable, but not quite like a bandmaster... or am I wrong... Honestly, I've only played twins, bassmans, and bandmasters... I'm trying to get a sense of scale, so if my assumptions are wrong, let me know!

Well your question is vague, because there are MANY incarnations of Bandmasters, and most other Fender amps...

I'm digging blackface Vibrolux's. Low power and pre tubes voltages make for some great crunch

I reccommend reading through this website

Fender Amp Field Guide

• Members

I didn't know a showman was really a twin in a head... that's awesome...

and my bandmaster is just a silverface non reverb... would getting it "blackfaced" give me more dirt? or should I try and chase down a super reverb?

I'm still confused because they didn't make Silver Faces till 68.....

• Members

the best way to check the year is to open the amp and compare the circuit against a layout diagram - along with component codes.
fender used components untill they were gone - the circuit codes inside the shell are not always accurate.
as far as breakup goes if youre talking about amount of gain not the volume at which they break up -the blonde and blackface bassman should be at the top of the list.they breakup a little more than the bandmasters due to circuit and voltage differences. iirc the trem circuit in the bandmaster uses two of the gain stages.
it should go like this :

tweeds/blondes
bassmans/super
bandmaster/vibrolux/tremolux
twin

• Members

Originally posted by 57GLDTP

First of all, a Dual Showman is a Twin reverb in a head configuration.

No, a Dual Showman Reverb is a Twin Reverb in a head configuration.

The Dual Showman is like two normal channels of a Twin Reverb. One less gain stage. VERY clean, cleaner than a Twin.

• Members

thats another thing I was going to ask... but in a different thread... I just heard about that today, but the guy I bought it from swore it was a 67... what's the best way to check? I guess I'll go look for the ser. code

67 was a transition year. The first silverfaces came out in 67, but there were blackface 67's too. 68 was the first full year of silverface production, but the first ones were made in 67.

Chances are pretty good that your amp is a '67.

Steve

• Members

what about the dual showman reverbs with tremelo as well? I kind of want the undistortable tone as well as one that gets nice and crunchy... I think I'll hit up ebay for blackface stuff, cuz I'm pretty sure the tweeds are a bit out of range

Dual Showman Reverb only exists as a silverface. As mentioned before, essentially the head version of a Twin Reverb.

• Members
Originally posted by Kap'n

No, a Dual Showman
Reverb
is a Twin Reverb in a head configuration.

The Dual Showman is like two normal channels of a Twin Reverb. One less gain stage.
VERY
clean, cleaner than a Twin.

That's really what I ment to say. Just forgot to type "reverb." :o

• Members

Originally posted by playdabluze

I have a Bandmaster Reverb head. What kind of mods are you talking about?

One of the most popular Bandmaster Reverb mods is to "Vibroclone" it. Install it into a 1x15 cabinet.

Archived