Triton Le - Plays Out of Tune...?!

GigMan

• Members

Ok, I think I've posted on this when it happened before but I'm too damn tired to look it up... :rolleyes::facepalm:

On Sat. nite's gig I think I heard one of the string patches on my Korg Triton Le playing out of tune... like, sour-sounding. Is that possible? It is almost 7 years old and it's a lightweight little sucker to begin with, not to mention I only have it in a soft-shell case. Could I have banged it once too often, in the hundreds of times I've put it in and out of the car going to and from gigs and on my Rock'n'Roller cart (getting in and out of venues) in the last nearly 7 years?

It was very noticeable - I play in a wedding band that uses a headphone distribution system, the Hearback system & so I hear my own keys very clearly (the Triton Le and a Yamaha S90ES) - this was on a lovely, slow ballad too ("At Last")... where it was very noticeable. :cry:

It was the string patch called "Silk Strings" -for those of you who have the Triton Le... it's Combi patch C065, I think. I fixed the problem by turning the Le off & on - right in the middle of the song - then it came back, then I turned off and on again (all the while playing a Piano/Strings patch on the S90ES at the same time). I finally gave up and played a different string patch on the Le... then came back to Silk Strings and it sounded OK.

Weird. :eek:

• Members

Gary,

I experienced the same problem... and other sound deficiences as well with my 61 key. On a few occassions I experience either some general degredation of the sound quailty (either mild distortion or a 'detuned' effect as you described) and in each case a reboot mid-song fixed the issue. At the time I believed it may have had something to do with the power we were getting from the venue (it happened twice at the same venue two seperate gigs) as one room we played had old electric and pretty dirty power. If you were playing an older wedding style hall it may be what the cause was. I remember a few hotel gigs where my mixer buzzed like a banshee no matter what circuit you plugged in!

At the time Korg had no explaination for the event. Hence it was the main reason I sold my LE and replaced it with the Extreme. Never a problem since. I might suggest a factory refresh (remember to save your settings on SM card first). For a long time my LE wasn't saving edits until I refreshed the factory settings and upgraded my OS.

• Members

Gary,

I experienced the same problem... and other sound deficiences as well with my 61 key. On a few occassions I experience either some general degredation of the sound quailty (either mild distortion or a 'detuned' effect as you described) and in each case a reboot mid-song fixed the issue. At the time I believed it may have had something to do with the power we were getting from the venue (it happened twice at the same venue two seperate gigs) as one room we played had old electric and pretty dirty power. If you were playing an older wedding style hall it may be what the cause was. I remember a few hotel gigs where my mixer buzzed like a banshee no matter what circuit you plugged in!

At the time Korg had no explaination for the event. Hence it was the main reason I sold my LE and replaced it with the Extreme. Never a problem since. I might suggest a factory refresh (remember to save your settings on SM card first). For a long time my LE wasn't saving edits until I refreshed the factory settings and upgraded my OS.

WG3! Whaaaaadup... :wave:

Ha - at least I know I'm not crazy... now that you mention it was at the same hall (for you), I realize this happened to me at the same hall - last time was January or so. I don't think it's an older hall but still - it definitely happened twice at this exact same place...

I think I'll ride it out a while, see if it happens any where else - just bought the S90ES AND the RD300GX, I don't think another kybd. purchase would go over too well on the home front. :lol:

• Members

It could also be a joystick issue.

I've seen issues crop up as the result of a keyboard gig bag stressing the joystick mechanism during transport.

Plug it in, move the joystick a few times and let it spring back on its own to see if you end up with a different center pitch each time.

If you do, then you probably need to visit a Korg service center.

• Members

It could also be a joystick issue.

I've seen issues crop up as the result of a keyboard gig bag stressing the joystick mechanism during transport.

Plug it in, move the joystick a few times and let it spring back on its own to see if you end up with a different center pitch each time.

If you do, then you probably need to visit a Korg service center.

I've had this happen to my old Triton Extreme two times. When I got it back the first time it started happening again after only half an hour of playing :facepalm:

• Members

+1

This has popped up a number of times over on KORG Forums and in every case so far a UPS ended the problem.

I'll add that I had to replace the DC power supply twice. Personally I have strong (negative) opinions on the build quality of the LE series (one of the reasons I'm not so hot on the M50's) but I will say that my LE was very sensitive to power issues.

• Members

I'll add that I had to replace the DC power supply twice. Personally I have strong (negative) opinions on the build quality of the LE series (one of the reasons I'm not so hot on the M50's) but I will say that my LE was very sensitive to power issues.

Agreed that the Triton Le is flimsy & light w/a cheap-ass crappy lightweight keybed... but the truth is, I've gigged hard and often w/the thing since I got it in July of 2002 (almost 7 yrs.), w/carrying it in a soft-shell bag/case... so I'd say it has actually held up pretty well, considering. :cool:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Ok, so it's been a few months and the Triton Le hasn't flaked out at every single gig but it did do it again this past Saturday - right in the middle of "At Last" a beatiful ballad w/pronounced strings, where one of the notes I'm holding in the F chord just started sounding sour and out of tune, the oscillators got all whacked out... it was nasty. It was the same song, same exact patch as when I 1st posted this (see original post at the top, dated June 9th) - so I don't think it's a power issue, I think the TLE is just dying a very little bit at a time. Unfortunately, I can't let it die on stage or my wedding band won't get call backs or referrals, when the brides/grooms hear that sour note as they dance their 1st dance to the lovely ballad "At Last" - !?! :eek::cry::lol:

So I checked out the Triton M50 at Guitar Wanker today. I figure I have several options:

Option #1

Buy another Triton Le used.

I do dig the sounds in the thing but this just seems too risky - used gear is risky enough in the 1st place, plus what if I get one that's about to start flaking out the way mine just did?

Option #2

Buy a used Triton Extreme

Probably a better option but I'm still kinda leery about getting used gear. Though there's a guy a few towns over that had one for sale about a yr. ago, I'll email him and see if he ever sold it.

Option #3

Buy a new M3

Too damn expensive, too many features I wouldn't use.

Option #4

Buy a new M50

The M50 does have some cool sounds, plus w/a new one I wouldn't have to worry about it's history... it isn't built like a tank the way the Extreme was but it's not bad. I gigged hard w/the TLE for over 7 years, with it in a soft case! - - so I think an M50 in a hardshell case would last me a while. Plus, because of it's lightweight build I could get the 73 key version and still not be lugging much weight around (where's the other 3 keys btw, to make it 76 key like most other shorter 'boards?) . :thu:

So at this point, Options 2 & 4 seem like the best choices... unless of course I switch to a Fantom? :facepalm::p Nahhhh - too steep of a learning curve, I'll stick w/the Korg line. Not even considering a Motif to replace the Triton Le, since I already have a Yammie S90ES. Actually I'm very impressed w/the S70XS, with it's lesser weight/bulk and dedicated Transpose & Octave keys & built-in recorder, SMF playback & easy layering and split capabilities. :love:

Archived