Alesis QS6.2 versus MM6/Juno D

Blubum

• Members

I have just read about the Alesis QS6.2, and it seems to be the same price as the Roland Juno D/Yamaha MM6. This is not a Juno D versus Yamaha MM6 thread, as there are many of those, I just want to know how the QS6.2 stacks up against the two, and if it is worth it to buy were it the same price as those two models. I have read a bunch of reviews that all give it glowing praise, but I figured I would get some actual comparison before going further.

• Members

Many years ago I bought a QS6.2. It stayed in my rig for two hours before I phoned the shop, paid their restocking fee and basically begged them to get it the {censored} out of my life.

On paper, it seemed like a really decent buy. In reality, it's a piece of {censored} and I hated it. Playing through the patches gave me a gnawing sense of disappointment and I just knew it wasn't right.

What did I buy instead? A Korg X5D. I love the living {censored} out of that board, and still have the rack version in my rig today. :)

• Members

I have just read about the Alesis QS6.2, and it seems to be the same price as the Roland Juno D/Yamaha MM6.

Really? It should be half the price. Hasnt it been discontinued for several years?

The QS6/2 has 16mb of ROM, the MM6 has 70. The MM6 has a lot of sounds from the Motif, including the Power Grand Piano, e. pianos, megavoice guitars, etc.

• Members

Really? It should be half the price. Hasnt it been discontinued for several years?

The QS6/2 has 16mb of ROM, the MM6 has 70. The MM6 has a lot of sounds from the Motif, including the Power Grand Piano, e. pianos, megavoice guitars, etc.

The QS6.2 is still alive and 'well' and being sold by retailers.

OFFIMG_alesisqs6.2.jpg

The more famous QS6 or QS6.1 were discontinued years ago. That's probably what you're thinking of, Cygnus.

alesis-qs6.1.gif

• Members

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-QS6.2-61Key-Synthesizer?sku=705537

"We're sorry, this product has been discontinued."

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEQS62

The more famous QS6 or QS6.1 were discontinued years ago. That's probably what you're thinking of, Cygnus.

I own a QS6.1. I have it in a position of honor, stuffed in the back of my closet upstairs.:lol:

• Members

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-QS6.2-61Key-Synthesizer?sku=705537

I own a QS6.1. I have it in a position of honor, stuffed in the back of my closet upstairs.
:lol:

I stand corrected(!)

FWIW, I think the QS6.1 has one of the best feeling keybeds I have ever played.

• Members

I stand corrected(!)

FWIW, I think the QS6.1 has one of the best feeling keybeds I have ever played.

It was a good board and a good value at the time, it merely got outclassed due to the ROM capablities of modern boards, among other things.

I've been looking at sample libraries, that will be my next big purchase. 149 gigs!!:love:

• Members

It was a good board and a good value at the time, it merely got outclassed due to the ROM capablities of modern boards, among other things.

I've been looking at sample libraries, that will be my next big purchase. 149 gigs!!
:love:

:eek:

I'm still fighting the urge to....

roland7d50.l.jpg

• Members

:eek:

I'm still fighting the urge to....

roland7d50.l.jpg

I was never cool enough to afford that in the day.:mad: I've never been cool enough to get anything cool.:cry::cry: The one exception was my loaded K2000 in 92, I was the coolest kid around.:thu:

• Members

Glad I didn't go for the QS6 then. I guess I'm probably just gonna go with the yamaha then. Thanks for saving me. I wonder how the user reviews on this site are so high based on everything you guys said here. Go figure...

• Members

Glad I didn't go for the QS6 then. I guess I'm probably just gonna go with the yamaha then. Thanks for saving me. I wonder how the user reviews on this site are so high based on everything you guys said here. Go figure...

Quite a few of the user reviews are from 2003-4, a long time ago in synth years.

• Members

Quite a few of the user reviews are from 2003-4, a long time ago in synth years.

Yeah I guess that's something I should pay more attention to. I wasn't really sure on how quickly the synth world evolves though.

• Members

Ultimately it's going to depend on how you like the sound of the thing. Age has nothing to do with it IMHO. How many people do you hear say: "Oh, Jupiter 8, that's 80s technology, totally superceded by today's stuff".

I have my QS8.2 (88-key version of what you were considering) alongside a 61-key Triton Classic, in my studio. For most sample-playback duties, I almost always turn to the Alesis over the "newer, i.e. supposedly improved" Triton. There's something about the way the QS delivers sound in a clear, uncolored, inbaised way (I put my own samples into it). And the resonant filter on the Triton SUCKS. I never use it.

Just give me a decent sample-playback machine with sample-upload capability, nevermend the resonance - I get that from my synths which is where they belong.

• Members

i gave my QS7/S4 bad reviews 10 years ago. It was even bad in those days.

For me though, only the keys & internal roms are bad. It's kinda OK keyboard for the price.Classical Q-Card was nice. And very robust and reliable. Now I'm contradicting myself

• Members

The QS6.2 has solid build quality. Taken strictly as a keyboard, it's got all the essentials - velocity, aftertouch, release velocity, and an adequate number of assignable sliders and pedal inputs.

The display is a bit small by today's standards, as is the amount of rom sounds.

Quality of sounds is relative, but I like the majority of them.

Even if you don't care for the built-in sounds, it still makes a good controller keyboard.

• Members

I had a QS6.1 around ten years ago. For its compact size it was a heavy bugger. The 6.2 was basically a 6.1 minus one Q-Card slot, and painted silver. Personally I thought the 6.1 had a substantive, solid feeling keybed.

The sounds were kind of "meh" but in a band setting, was able to cut through a mix well enough with a guitar, bass, and drummer, if that means anything to you. At the time I was playing through a massive Peavey 1x15 keyboard amp though.

• Members

I own a QS6.1. I have it in a position of honor, stuffed in the back of my closet upstairs.
:lol:

And of course you should, as an MM6 owner.:thu:

I've never heard anyone playing a QS-series that sounded like anything other than tinny crap, live. Which is a shame because a couple of them were even good players.

• Members

And of course you should, as an MM6 owner.
:thu:

I've never heard anyone playing a QS-series that sounded like anything other than tinny crap, live. Which is a shame because a couple of them were even good players.

Which is one of a multitude of reasons why I just ditched my QS7.1 in favor of a Juno-STAGE.

Archived