what amps give the hotrodded marshall tone?

LIAR-502

• Members

i've got an engl screamer that i love but i'm wondering if its not really right for me. what amps give that screaming hotrodded marshall tone. clips?

i love steve stevens tone on billy idols new album devils playground. i heard its a roccaforte, is that true, which amp and is it an accurate representation of the sound?

what else is there out there?

• Members

5150s!!!!!!!!! LOL they can be a decent hotrodded marshall tone, since they are based on the Soldano SLO which was a hot rodded marshall circuit...but...

Splawns are really good at the tone, and Steve Stevens used a Roccaforte and a couple other amps (possibly a 5150 II, i know he used them live...). Voodoos could probably cop the tone also...

and then theres always just a hot rodded marshall LOL

as for which Roccaforte...i dunno, i suppose the man himself needs to come in here and elaborate!

• Members

Actually, Steve Stevens used many many amps to record that album with.

He used a Rocca, 5150, Marshall and a real nice Custom Audio/Suhr OD100...

His live rig is three 5150's and the Custom Audio/Suhr OD100...At least that's what he used this past year.

I know he's been working with Doug on the Rocca amp too, but the inside scoop is that he's staying with at least one OD100 and the 5150's.

Steve

Archived