Anyone played the Laney VC-30?

univox5138

• Members

Hey, i own a Laney VC30 that i think i am going to sell actually. Its a very good blues, jazz, classic rock type amp. The clean channel is as good as it gets. The drive channel is good for what it is, just dont expect to be getting metal tones out of it. The drive works well for blues ala Stevie Ray Vaughan and for Zeppelin oriented rock. The amp does love pedals though so you can get high gain tones out of it. It sounds very similar to a Vox AC-30. I have clips i can post if you want me too. If you are interested in it, pm me.

• Members
Originally posted by .....

Hey, i own a Laney VC30 that i think i am going to sell actually. Its a very good blues, jazz, classic rock type amp. The clean channel is as good as it gets. The drive channel is good for what it is, just dont expect to be getting metal tones out of it. The drive works well for blues ala Stevie Ray Vaughan and for Zeppelin oriented rock. The amp does love pedals though so you can get high gain tones out of it. It sounds very similar to a Vox AC-30. I have clips i can post if you want me too. If you are interested in it, pm me.

Ya know,if you are trying to sell something,it would help to know your location. You don't have yours listed.

• Members

I love mine but the reverb isn't so great (no tube). I'm comparing it to my fender reverb which probably isn't fair.

The clean sound it fantastic, don't use the drive channel.

The fx loop isn't much good either, all my pedals go in front.

Bought mine used and the guy had installed a Weber Blue speaker!!

• Members

the VC30 is one of my favorite amps...best bang for the buck out there IMO.

its been said and i concur, it doesn't do over-the-top gain or heavy thick bottomed grind.

an IMO pro vs con.....

pros:

quality build at low price.

very good clean tone

loud for an el84 based amp

takes pedals well

responds to tube/speaker/guitar swaps well (i've swapped tubes to have it break up as early as '3' on the v/knob and with a tube swap have it break up as late as '7' on the volume knob)

a dynamic amp (easy to use the guitar volume)

parallel FX loop with level control (great with outboard reverb or delay/echo or an EQ)

cons:

stock spkr is OK? (newer ones use celestions now)

stock reverb is the same one that fender uses but isn't tube buffered

there is only one ch. (with ft-sw controled MV boost. it adds a master volume/volume control. this is why there is a "shared EQ", there is really only one ch w/switchable MV)

low-mid gain amp (not a bad thing it just needs to be said)

i guess there can be more. i had the amp for a little less than 5yrs with no problems.

swapped the H|H spkr out for a weber bluedog (perfect match)

swapped the tubes out for various NOS pre's and JJ el84's

i loved the clean ch.

really dug the MV too and used outboard reverb/echo in the loop.

(sometimes used an outboard pre/fx -bypassing the preamp for added versatility.

i did end up needing more gain in the end so the LC30II is what i have now. but the reverb is even weaker on it and the clean ch isn't as beautiful sounding.

there is just something about the VC30 clean that just does it for me. :thu:

if you get a chance to play them both, do it...and crank them up!!

Archived