What does a JTM45 sound like?

BrassMonkey

• Members

a jtm45 is a very smooth, mellow and round sounding amp in my opinion. Very saggy, extremely 'untight' and it doesnt have too much gain, you really need to turn it up for some acdc kinda tone. It's a perfect blues amp and if i had to choose a famous guitar tone/guitarist i would say jimmy page/led zeppelin.

• Members

It does a great AC/DC. Angus uses JTM45's. Clapton used JTM45/100's for Cream. It won't do Sabbath or Zeppelin though. A Superlead with EL34's will get you closer to Page and Iommi tones. Iommi used Laney Supergroups which were close in design to the Superlead Marshalls of the same period.

• Members

nah, the jtm45, which i think is sounds really rich and very nice, however will not do any of that ac/dc or black sabbath stuff, u'll need a more modern marshall get those tones

those bands used jcm800 2203s, i think, not sure tho

i think a DSL will do the job tho

• Members

Originally posted by wanky

nah, the jtm45, which i think is sounds really rich and very nice, however will not do any of that ac/dc or black sabbath stuff, u'll need a more modern marshall get those tones

those bands used jcm800 2203s, i think, not sure tho

i think a DSL will do the job tho

Tony Iommi used Laney and he used a treble booster to boost his Laney's live. While it won't do Sabbath, the JTM45 can do AC/DC at higher volumes. The AC/DC sound is not that distorted. The JCM800 was introduced in 1981, after quite a bit of their work was released.

• Members

Originally posted by BrassMonkey

Well I don't play anything super hard. Mostly classic and hard rock. I don't think I would need a DSL.

A channel switcher might come in handy though!

Anyhow, a JCM 800 is a pretty good amp.

My Metro Amp started out of as a '69 1959SLP. I modded it with a PPIMV (post-phase inverter master volume) - which gave it more of a cranked amp sound at volumes that are easier on the ears. Then, I got the idea to modify it to a JCM 800, which it is currently. I'm still playing arond with a few values, but, it sounds basically like a Plexi, but a bit warmer and thicker...

I think I like the JCM 800 version of it better - though, I'm not quite finished. Really I've only varied by about 2 components from a "OEM" JCM 800, and it's brought up the gain a tad, and knocked down some treble. I just need to continue on that path, and I'll have what I want - the hard part is getting the gain without the fizz, and the thickness without the flub. I'd a learing experience....I can say that much!

• Members

The JTM is capable of great AC/DC-tone, early Clapton, old ZZ-Top etc...This amp has a very warm clean tone at lower volumes, and a great chrunchy tone when cranked.

A great amp for those styles, but it lacks gain for "heavier" rock.

One of the BEST reissues of the original jtm is the Germino Classic 45. This amp is killer.:thu:

• Members

The Bluesbreaker combo I had(I guess that counts as a JTM45) would pretty much nail AC/DC. I don't think the Greenbacks in an open back were a good choice for Sabbath. The gain was there for Sabbath(dimed) but the speakers didn't like it and there was quite a bit of sag at this level. I think you could do it with a closed back cabinet and some pedal distortion for sure.

And, yes, the cleans are very nice.(fat and round)

• Members

Yeah, the early Marshalls were rather mellow and bluesy sounding, being British takes on the Fender Tweed. The Randall site used to have great sample clips of their JTM-45 module that I find caught the JTM tone on the nose. Still have those on my hard drive.

• Members
Originally posted by BrassMonkey

Will this amp get AC/DC, Black Sabbath type tones? Or does it have less gain?

BTW-Merry Christmas to you all!!

:)

Punchy and a little woody and rounding off at higher levels. It'll do AC/DC at higher levels just fine,probably old BS too with a bit of a push on the front end,if your ears can take the volume.

Archived