Traynor YCV20 vs. Crate V1512 vs. Fender Blues Jr.

FishMan

• Members

I'm in the market for small tube amp, and narrowed my choices to these three. Unfortunately, I've not been able to try them out as there are none anywhere close to my home. I've tried a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and a Traynor YCV40, and like them both, but they are more amp (size and money) than I want.

Does anyone have any experience with these in comparison with the HRD or the YCV40? I particularly like the warm tones and smooth overdrive of the HRD and YCV40.

Any other suggestions of tube amps in this general price/size range are also welcome.

Rob

• Members

Originally posted by masterwuhan

tlbonehead, what other options besides those listed are worth considering?

Bedrock 600 Series

Ashdown Peacemaker 20/40

Hughes/Kettner Edition Tube 20

Seymour Duncan 84/40

Peavey Classic 20/30

Peavey Bravo

Carvin Vintage 16

Reverend Goblin

;aney LC15,TT20

Mesa Subway Rocket,DC2,Studio 22

George Dennis Blue Beetle/Mighty Mouse www.george-dennis.cz

• Members

Fishman - Go to eBay, search for Traynor Amps, and check out the ebay auctions for Mesaman Music. I'm not sure where this guy gets these from, but I've seen two of the YCV20WR amps go for $355 (one of which I got) in the last few weeks.

Of course now that I've posted this, you may have other bidders. If so, wait a week or two and he should have another one up then. If you are serious about the Traynor, this is BY FAR the best deal I've found anywhere. I couldn't find that amp (the WR model) even used for that price.

And in case you don't know, the WR model has a Celstion Greenback vs. the Celestion Rocket in the black covered amp. Go with the Greenback.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Found mesamanmusic on ebay and watched awhile. Yup, this made my mind up. I just won an auction for the traynor ycv20wr and I expect it sometime next week.

I had been vacillating between the traynor ycv 20 and 40, fender champ, peavey classic 30. Also gave some thought to a tech21 power engine to match up with a j station modeler. I think I'm gonna be happy with the traynor, but it's nerve wracking not being able to play thru it first! Can't beat the deal though. Brand new for around 350.

Any ideas on pedals that would match up well? I'll probably try the j-station with it also, but am leaning toward a pedal board setup eventually. Most of my playing is at home( blues classic rock alt country), but I will be playing with a praise band occasionally.

Wade 8^)

• Members

Hey, good call on the Traynor. I just played the Crate today, so I've now played all four (including the Epiphone). I liked the Traynor the best. I also like the Blues Jr Tweed Limited Edition, but they're asking too much for it at about $525 street.

• Members

Hey thanks!

The traynor should show up tuesday...gonna be a long weekend.

I'll probably have to mike it when i play with the praise band in church, but 99% of my playing is in a little 15 x 15 room and I'm sure it'll still be way too much power most of the time. It seems to be the only little amp with all the features. I can't wait!

Wade

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

wader....

I just foudn this thread. Did you get your Traynor and start playing it? How do you like it?

I've been looking over the YCV20 for some time, but I've been hesitant because it doesn't have a jack for an external speaker cab. The YCV40 has the jack, but I'm afraid it will be too much volume to play at home and still get good tone.

I have a small 2x10 cab I'd love to play thru the YCV20, but is there a mod to add a jack??

SC

• Members

There is a speaker out ith a switch to defeat the internal speaker on the traynor ycv20wr. I don't know about the ycv20, but I believe it has it also. The wr has the celestion greenback an is covered a a wine red leatherette tolex. Other than that I'm not aware of any differences. Some older models didn't have the speaker out.

I like the traynor a lot. The only thing that didn't do it for me is the boost on the gain channel is way too much for my use. The volume jumps up too far and the distortion isn't usable for me. I wish they would have made the boost a little less overbearing. And it's not an amp for playing metal. Both clean and gain channels have a gain and volume and for the life of me I can't tell much difference between the 2 channels. So instead of using the boost, I set one channel a little hotter and just switch channels.

I've been driving this thing with a Johnson J station modeler. Haven't tried it in the effects loop yet, but will. Tried it into the power amp in(bypassing the whole preamp), but I like it better into the preamp. I am currently looking into replacing the j-station with another multi fx floorboard or individual stomps. Any input in this area is welcome!! I have never had a tube amp before and it is somewhat different than expected. I know individual stomps are best, but I'd like to get a decent sound with lots of flexability and minimum fuss....mult fx in other words. The only reason I'm rethinking the j-station is the lack of a floorboard..the j8 footpedal goes for $180 on ebay.I could get a bossme 50 or korg ax1500g for that easily ....newer technology and built in flooroard.

Haven't played the traynor out yet, but it's plenty loud and would easily work even if I needed to mike it or use the direct out in back. A lot of people retube these or replace the speaker. Can't say how that would help. The greenback is nice, retube kit from eurotubes was approx $60 I think. Gain is a little harsh to my ear, but I don't know how much tubes would change that... Could just need to break the speaker in.

Only other thing of note...The footswitch lets you switch channels and kick the boost in on the gain channel. It seems to me that they should have allowed you to kick in the brightness function for the clean channel with the footswitch too.

Don't get me wrong, I love this amp. I don't think there is another 15 watt tube amp out there that has the features and sound for $350 brand new! The greenback itself runs $100.

Any other traynor ycv owners out there ...I'm curious how this thing compares to the voicing of the ycv40 or 50. Also what are you guys running into these things for od/effects?

ok, book over

wader 8^)

• Members

Thank You! Thats exactly the kind of stuff I'm interested in hearing...... great report!

I've been hearing that the WR model has a couple of extras like the speaker out jack and the Greenbacks, features that are missing on the black one. If I can figure out how to guarantee that my dealer gets the right model, I'm gonna jump on this little beast! - SC

• Members

Definitely get the wr version if you go for it.

I found mine on ebay. Dealer is mesaman music. He just raised the starting bid to $359, but he's not getting any bids so you can probably get it for the $359. Everytime he sells one he posts another! Brand new. I've seen them go for $300 to $480.

I am going to retube soon, eurotubes has a complete kit for $44. The amp is sweet without, but I have been convinced that it's even better with new tubes.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by fred zappelin

I own a Traynor YCV20. I think a YCV80 would be a wiser choice over the 40 but all have SS circuitry that may color yur sound in a bad way.

I ordered the YCV20WR, it shoudl be here in a week.

But I dont understand why Fred said that about "all have SS circuitry"...????

The Traynor YCV amps are all tube. Tube preamp, tube power, no fx, spring reverb.......where does the SS circuitry come into play here??

• Members

The reason why I said that they have SS circuits is because I looked at the schematics and noticed a few OP-Amps in there. Like Wader said, the reverb is a SS driven Accutronics. Bt At least you're getting the WR version with the Greenback...I had to swap out the cheapo Rocket 50 in my YCV20.

I think you will enjoy the Traynor but I am not 100% happy with mine and this is why:

The reverb is very "sploingy" at settings higher than 4 on the dial. Other reviewers noted this also.

I`m not thrilled with the lead channel with the boost, it just doesn`t do it for me. ( I play a Strat so the pickups may have something to do with this)

My overall feeling is that I think EL84 amps are better suited for humbuckers straight up and I think I need to look at a different tube arrangement for the sound I`m looking for. I think an overdrive pedal through the clean channel may be needed o get the slightly tight OD tone I`m searching for.

I will say that the clean channel with a touch of reverb is very enjoyable with my strat.

The lead channel and the boost and brightness are useless to me.

If I were to spend 450 again I would look at a single channel point to point wired combo with just a volume and a tone knob, thats it.

If anyone's interested in my Traynor leave a post....

:p

• Members

And it sounded very good and LOUD. Mine has the Reverend Alltone 1250 speaker and J&J blues package re-tube. I was playing my American Strat on the "Clean" channel with the pre-gain cranked 3/4 and the volume also at 3/4 full.... Let me tell you it was awesome to open this amp up and let it go. At those settings I was getting a very loud and snarley screaming tone that was taking me into that special place where only a cranked up amp can take you. ACDC, ZEP, Social Distortion....

Then the family came back home and it was time to go back to playing it at "bedroom" volumes..where this amp just doesn`t want to be.

This amp is made to be cranked.

• Members

Seriously, The Traynor is OK at lower volume levels on the clean side with a touch of verb. But the lead channel at low volume with the gain cranked isn`t anything inspiring. Boost or no boost it just doesn`t happen at low volume on the lead channel. In fact I can set both channels to where they sound identical at lower volumes. You really notice the difference in the channles when this thing is cranked. The clean channel doesn`t have alot of headroom , it will get edgy with the gain and volume both at 3/4. In a very good way though. The lead channel gets very loud with the boost on, gain and volume both cranked.

You`ll like it.

From now on I`m just gonna turn the Traynor on when I can play it loud which isn`t often enough. The rest of the time I`m plying through my PC using Garageband.

Adios Amigo !!!!

:p

Archived