B-52 AT212 for Classic Rock?

Fireproof

• Members

I've done the search and read all the threads. But it seems most discussions were around heavier metal music than I intend to play.

So my question is: How do you think this amp would serve me if I play primarily classic rock and hard rock (like Zeppelin, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Blue Oyster Cult, Jethro Tull, etc...)

Occasionally I might serve up some Ozzy or Metallica or Van Halen.

Thoughts? I played the 100W combo at GC for a while the other night and was really impressed. I've been wanting to get into a tube setup for low dollars, since it's just a hobby (I don't gig). But it seems like this would work well for backyard parties and small gigs if needed.

So whaddya think about the amp tone for that music?

thanks in advance for helping a noooob, LOL.

• Members

I'm sure you could get it with either lower gain settings or putting the recto mode on class A...that's got a more classic vibe to it...

Originally posted by Fireproof

I've done the search and read all the threads. But it seems most discussions were around heavier metal music than I intend to play.

So my question is: How do you think this amp would serve me if I play primarily classic rock and hard rock (like Zeppelin, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Blue Oyster Cult, Jethro Tull, etc...)

Occasionally I might serve up some Ozzy or Metallica or Van Halen.

Thoughts? I played the 100W combo at GC for a while the other night and was really impressed. I've been wanting to get into a tube setup for low dollars, since it's just a hobby (I don't gig). But it seems like this would work well for backyard parties and small gigs if needed.

So whaddya think about the amp tone for that music?

thanks in advance for helping a noooob, LOL.

• Members

I've said many times that for the money you can't beat it...and the combo sounds pretty good too...

I have clips in my sig (it says splawn cliips but there's some at 100 clips there, hiding out..hehe) but they're metal kinda stuff...far as I know, you won't find clips of that amp anywhere else..go figure =)

• Members

Thanks for the tip on your clips. You rock! Damn - good playin'. It sounds pretty sweet.

I do agree it seems like a helluva buy for the money! For under $800 out the door with that many features and pure tubes. I can't stop thinking about it.

I know I'll be happy with it as-is, but can also look forward to upgrading/changing tubes or speakers later to experiment.

I managed to get some decent classic rock-ish tones out of it as far as I can tell. But I'm not a "tone expert" and there was a lot of noise going on at the time. So I thought I'd see what you guys think.

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

Thanks for the tip on your clips. You rock! Damn - good playin'. It sounds pretty sweet.

I do agree it seems like a helluva buy for the money! For under $800 out the door with that many features and pure tubes. I can't stop thinking about it.

I know I'll be happy with it as-is, but can also look forward to upgrading/changing tubes or speakers later to experiment.

I managed to get some decent classic rock-ish tones out of it as far as I can tell. But I'm not a "tone expert" and there was a lot of noise going on at the time. So I thought I'd see what you guys think.

hey, at the very least, you can always return it if you get it at a guitar center right? can't hurt to try it out in a noise free environment!

switchin' tubes would probably wake the amp up as well..

and thanks for the compliments =)

• Members

Hope this helps - I posted this a week ago:

I bought the AT-212 about a week ago and love it but my experience with tube amps is limited to the B-52 and a Peavey Ultra. My experience with SS is a bit more extensive. Also played with Kustom and Marshall hybrids.

The B-52 is the best bang for the buck out there, bar(re) none. As a basement player, the amp sounds fantastic at low and moderate volumes but I haven't cranked it. The gain 2 channel does have some hiss which is quickly compounded by noisey pedals in front or having your pick-up's volume all the way up. Still, the amp does have a lot of gain on tap without having to add more up front.

I read some reviews where people thought that the difference in gain between the gain 1 and gain 2 channels was minimal - this is total bull{censored}. The difference is like night and day - which is good if you are trying to get a bunch of differents sounds using the footswitch. You can also activate the contour for either, neither or both gain channels. I use the gain 2 channel with contour for metal and the gain 1 without for rock. Using the gain channel 2 with EMG 81's or 500T/496T creates a wall of distortion.

The clean channel is a dream. I play a Gibson SG (490/490) Gibson V (496/500) and an Epi Les Paul (EMG 81/81) all tuned E to E. The SG sounds best in this channel and the Epi not as good. I would imagine the tones from a Strat would be amazing on the clean channel, but the SG does sound pretty good.

The SG using gain 1 overdrive is pure Rock and Roll - think AC/DC. The EPI in gain 2 overdrive is pure Metallica metal.

The amp has a setting in the back for Class A, Class AB or SS. Each sound distinctly different and have to be changed by hand. Right now I'm stuck on Class A and really have not tried out the other two setting except for checking to see if they work and a quick check of the sound.

I bought mine at a Guitar Center for $775 including tax and made them get one that was unopened from another store. The amp has a three year warranty, although there is not a authorized repair shop close to me. Their web page (www.b-52guitar.com) has the locations of repair shops and the manuals.

I am also a basement player and I really like this amp. The overdrive channel using gain 1 is perfect for classic rock. Yes the 100 watts is overkill, but I really like the sound of a 2x12 over a 1x12. Depending on the classic rock, you may want to drop down a little on the gain and reduce the volume (gain) on your pick-ups.

The amp also response well to pedals in front using the clean channel. I tried a bunch of them and decided to simply keep a Zoom G7-1ut with a wah (Dunlop Dime) in front. This gives me the option to use a host of effects. Using gain with the overdrive channels takes a bit more thought, but you can turn off the gain on the Zoom and use the other effects.

A lot ofthe sound you get is going to also be based on your EQ.

• Members

Originally posted by Acid Test

Hope this helps - I posted this a week ago:

I bought the AT-212 about a week ago and love it but my experience with tube amps is limited to the B-52 and a Peavey Ultra. My experience with SS is a bit more extensive. Also played with Kustom and Marshall hybrids.

The B-52 is the best bang for the buck out there, bar(re) none. As a basement player, the amp sounds fantastic at low and moderate volumes but I haven't cranked it. The gain 2 channel does have some hiss which is quickly compounded by noisey pedals in front or having your pick-up's volume all the way up. Still, the amp does have a lot of gain on tap without having to add more up front.

I read some reviews where people thought that the difference in gain between the gain 1 and gain 2 channels was minimal - this is total bull{censored}. The difference is like night and day - which is good if you are trying to get a bunch of differents sounds using the footswitch. You can also activate the contour for either, neither or both gain channels. I use the gain 2 channel with contour for metal and the gain 1 without for rock. Using the gain channel 2 with EMG 81's or 500T/496T creates a wall of distortion.

The clean channel is a dream. I play a Gibson SG (490/490) Gibson V (496/500) and an Epi Les Paul (EMG 81/81) all tuned E to E. The SG sounds best in this channel and the Epi not as good. I would imagine the tones from a Strat would be amazing on the clean channel, but the SG does sound pretty good.

The SG using gain 1 overdrive is pure Rock and Roll - think AC/DC. The EPI in gain 2 overdrive is pure Metallica metal.

The amp has a setting in the back for Class A, Class AB or SS. Each sound distinctly different and have to be changed by hand. Right now I'm stuck on Class A and really have not tried out the other two setting except for checking to see if they work and a quick check of the sound.

I bought mine at a Guitar Center for $775 including tax and made them get one that was unopened from another store. The amp has a three year warranty, although there is not a authorized repair shop close to me. Their web page (
www.b-52guitar.com
) has the locations of repair shops and the manuals.

I am also a basement player and I really like this amp. The overdrive channel using gain 1 is perfect for classic rock. Yes the 100 watts is overkill, but I really like the sound of a 2x12 over a 1x12. Depending on the classic rock, you may want to drop down a little on the gain and reduce the volume (gain) on your pick-ups.

The amp also response well to pedals in front using the clean channel. I tried a bunch of them and decided to simply keep a Zoom G7-1ut with a wah (Dunlop Dime) in front. This gives me the option to use a host of effects. Using gain with the overdrive channels takes a bit more thought, but you can turn off the gain on the Zoom and use the other effects.

A lot ofthe sound you get is going to also be based on your EQ.

the countour switch is definetly the best part of the amp..

as far as gain 1 and 2 are concerned, there's definetly a difference..I always used gain 2 as my lead channel...

and yes, it did have a VERY nice clean

• Members

I played it at Guitar center and was quite impressed with it.

Anybody who says its a bad amp is insane.

Not many people are insane!

The only thing though is...... you know tubes are one of the places where they cut costs on (I dont know whats in it. I'm just assuming).

You will surely want to do a retube with some good quality tubes............and thats going to cost a bit cause it has 1001 tubes in it.

• Members

I just got it... and it's been an experience that one can't not affor to miss. The clean channel is too fu*** amazing... Of course... you have to tweak the knobs to get the sound you like...

There's really no difference between Dist 1 and Dist 2. Both are the same but give you the option of havbing to different gain settings... that's it.

I don't have complaints about this amp... other than its reverb... which is somehow useless....

Sorry I got to go to the bathroom... I can't write any...shi***

• Members

Funny but i just came back from playing one today also, i have played them before and im really starting to think these amps are the real deal! I didnt move for about a 1-1/2 hrs on the damn thing lol.. Oooooo yes u can smell those tubes coooking after a lil while!:eek:

I thought it was impressive at low volumes for a tube amp, the master volume knob comes in very handy for this! The Channels share the same EQ knobs, but have a sperate gain knob, i think the contour knob with the master volume can affect the tone, i can see where some people can say the 2 channels can sound alike..

Very nice raspy but crisp overdrive, which really opened up when i turned up the master volume! Again it sounds very nice at lower/bedroom type volumes also! I may check it out again real soon..

I think the combo has over 10 tubes in it, am i right?

PS --- I cant seem to remember, is there more than 1 contour knob? Or do they share it? Anyone? :confused:

• Members

Ok, great guitar amp... 212 config. is really amazin on how it delivers the most of the amp stages... clean and drive. I was hopping to receive a couple of vintage 30 but the do come with the extension cab.

About the amp... it really gets warm and sounds as warm as the tubes are... I believe it will become a clasic among the bests amps ever. Well, I won't write anything else... if you have the chance to try it... go and spend some time tweaking and playing around and you'll figure yourself how the clean channels go totally crystal and how the driven channels can take you from bluesy overdrives to heavy really heavy stuff.

Rock 'n roll!!!!!:thu:

• Members

Okay, I took the plunge and bought one the other day.

OMG!!! :thu: This thing rocks. The more I play with it, the more I tweak it, the more I like it.

I'm even more impressed with it in my home than I was at GC trying it out.

The 2 gains are awesome - you can tweak them much differently to go from classic rock gain to ozzy or metallica with the stomp of the switch. Or just taylor one to be more of a boosted lead and the other a crunchy rhythm. So many options.

(BTW - to the question above - there's only one contour knob, but there are two selector switches that go with it. So you can set the amp so that the contour knob setting applies to just Gain 1, just Gain 2, or BOTH. Pretty cool).

And the clean is SUPER clean. Wow. Very impressed.

Okay, That's it for my mini-review. Haven't had much time with it, because I was out of town for a death in the family. But I'm looking forward to playing with it more this week. I haven't owned any of the vintage tube amps that are popular - primarily because I couldn't afford them. But this baby is certainly worth more than the price tag.

FYI - I got it for $780 out the door at Guitar Center. :thu:

• Members

Cool! I just responded to your PM - I think a get together can be arranged to compare equipment and chops. Would be fun just to mess around for a few hours. I'm a hack though - so don't expect anything impressive out of my fingers, LOL.

:)

• Members

I dont know what happened but i went back to GC today and played the same B-52 and it didnt sound as good as yesterday! WTF? :confused:

It just sounded alot more distorted, i dont mind a thick rich heavy distortion but it was tough to "clean her up today"! She sounded buzzy on whatever channel i tried (2 channels) maybe it was me..

Funny but i was ready to "wheel and deal today" and think about getting 1 or buy it today but im going to chill out 4 now..

I will give it another chance again though, because yesterday it was a {censored}ING MONSTER and today she was a flubby buzzy raspy bunch of Beeee's.. :confused: Agsin she SMOOOOOKED Yesterday!!!

PS - Probably was my suck ass playing..:o

• Members

Well... the Solid-State on this amp really rocks... and the difference is barelly noticeable between the Tube A and the SS. What I mean... is that it sounds amanzigly good in SS comparing to what you say about the Bees....

Try another one... or check the guitar and cables... maybe you blew some tubes yesterday when trying it... or some m**f*** moved it while still hot...

• Members

glad you guys are enjoying the AT-100

it really is an amp that's come in under the radar..also alotta people dispell it because it's 'cheap'...but it's built solidly and it sounds good especially considering the price..I liked it much better than the triaxis or triple recto or peavy 5150 I owned before it, that's for sure..

great little amp!

Archived