Help! Replacing Flexi and Splawn

denkst

• Members

Well here goes. I currently own a Splawn modded Marshall and a THD Flexi 50. There are things about both amps that I like and don't like. This also includes my THD 2x12 (THD Classic 12 and Vintage 12) with Beam Blockers on both speakers.

First up the amps:

Flexi 50: awesome cleans but there is this mid range "thing" that is very prominent and for me ruins an otherwise nice amp. Note that this is in Hi input with boost on, boost tone full yada yada. Anyway, to hear what I'm talking about, go to Bob Savage's Clips of the Flexi (which is now my amp LOL). Settings I use are similar to Bob's and are ones that are recommended. This is in no way an indictment of Bob's playing or tone. I'm just hearing the same thing on my amp with similar settings that I hear in Bob's clips. NOTE: I noticed this when I heard the clips before I bought the amp and ignored this believing I'd get used to it or whatever. I can't stand it!!! LOL.

Splawn Modded Marshall: Well, it's heavier than a boat anchor for one. Too loud and not terribly versatile. Other than that it's awesome.

THD 2x12: Well, I like the construction and all but to my ears and, in more than one environment, the amp is a bit bright and for lack of a better word somewhat boxy sounding.

I know what I'm saying probably contradicts others opinions but this is what I'm hearing.

My question is this: what amp and 2x12 would you guys recommend that is versatile, not too heavy, and has great cleans and crunch/lead?

I don't want or need more than 50 watts. A channel switcher is cool. Most importantly, though is I HATE icepick in the ear treble, excessive brightness and muddiness?

Recommed me an Amp and 2x12. Thanks in advance.

• Members

Originally posted by denkst

My question is this: what amp and 2x12 would you guys recommend that is versatile, not too heavy, and has great cleans and crunch/lead?

I don't want or need more than 50 watts. A channel switcher is cool. Most importantly, though is I HATE icepick in the ear treble, excessive brightness and muddiness?

Try playing a Bogner Shiva!

• Members

I felt the same way about the Flexi.

If you like the Splawn so much (and really what is there not to like!) why not try the Splawn Quickrod. It is more versatile, has a great loop and boost functions. I hear the new ones with the separate clean EQ sound a lot better in the clean channel.

The Shiva is a great amp. Killer cleans. The drive channel is very compressed. Some people dig that though.

• Members

Well here goes. I currently own a Splawn modded Marshall and a THD Flexi 50. There are things about both amps that I like and don't like. This also includes my THD 2x12 (THD Classic 12 and Vintage 12) with Beam Blockers on both speakers.

First up the amps:

Flexi 50: awesome cleans but there is this mid range "thing" that is very prominent and for me ruins an otherwise nice amp. Note that this is in Hi input with boost on, boost tone full yada yada. Anyway, to hear what I'm talking about, go to Bob Savage's Clips of the Flexi (which is now my amp LOL). Settings I use are similar to Bob's and are ones that are recommended. This is in no way an indictment of Bob's playing or tone. I'm just hearing the same thing on my amp with similar settings that I hear in Bob's clips. NOTE: I noticed this when I heard the clips before I bought the amp and ignored this believing I'd get used to it or whatever. I can't stand it!!! LOL.

Splawn Modded Marshall: Well, it's heavier than a boat anchor for one. Too loud and not terribly versatile. Other than that it's awesome.

THD 2x12: Well, I like the construction and all but to my ears and, in more than one environment, the amp is a bit bright and for lack of a better word somewhat boxy sounding.

I know what I'm saying probably contradicts others opinions but this is what I'm hearing.

You could always turn the mids down to about noon. And bias it to 33 mil.

• Members
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

You could always turn the mids down to about noon. And bias it to 33 mil.

Ed, do you hear what I'm referring to in Bob Savage's Clips of the Flexi? And do you think what I'm hearing is can be changed with the eq and biasing of the amp you suggest? Either way I'll try it.

There's a ton to like about the Flexi. I'm just somewhat frustrated is all :). Great product, support, community, etc. just may not be the amp for me. Thanks Ed. You've been a great help (taking my annoying calls).

Take care.

George

• Members

Originally posted by badtoneno

I felt the same way about the Flexi.

If you like the Splawn so much (and really what is there not to like!) why not try the Splawn Quickrod. It is more versatile, has a great loop and boost functions. I hear the new ones with the separate clean EQ sound a lot better in the clean channel.

The Shiva is a great amp. Killer cleans. The drive channel is very compressed. Some people dig that though.

Thanks I'll add the QuickRod to the list. Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

why don't ya go to the splawn site and check out all the different types of clips of the Quick Rod? theyu're very representative of how it sounds....

I have some in my sig, but they're probably heavier than you're looking for..

I love heavy stuff too. The QuickRod appears to be able to go from Vintage Crunch to all out war! If the Clean Channel can be made to resemble a Fendery type clean than that's a huge plus.

BTW do you find that Scott's cabs are balanced or do they favor a particular frequency. I hate harsh tones!!! I like cut but a "smooth" cut if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your input.

George

• Members

I love heavy stuff too. The QuickRod appears to be able to go from Vintage Crunch to all out war! If the Clean Channel can be made to resemble a Fendery type clean than that's a huge plus.

BTW do you find that Scott's cabs are balanced or do they favor a particular frequency. I hate harsh tones!!! I like cut but a "smooth" cut if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your input.

George

scott's cabs kill....they sound huge, but they're not boomy or harsh...can't recommend the eminence x pattern any higher than I already do =) great match with the QR...

• Members

Ed, do you hear what I'm referring to in Bob Savage's Clips of the Flexi? And do you think what I'm hearing is can be changed with the eq and biasing of the amp you suggest? Either way I'll try it.

There's a ton to like about the Flexi. I'm just somewhat frustrated is all
:)
. Great product, support, community, etc. just may not be the amp for me. Thanks Ed. You've been a great help (taking my annoying calls).

Take care.

George

I do. But also the cut control needs to go down to about ten o'clock as well.

• Members

Great! Thanks. I'll try it out tonight. There's a lot for to learn regarding eq ing an amp. I think I'm too rigid in my thinking about how an amp should sound based on my eq settings. Good deal. Thanks again.

George

• Members

Ed, did as you suggested and I guess it's a no go. Still has the sound and running down the mids to noon with amp volume cranked sounded bad to me. I guess I don't have the right amp for my playing style. Oh well. Thanks again for your help!

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

First up the amps:

Well, I disagree regarding the Flexi. I don't hear any weird midrange thing going on. Try some different settings and a Hot-Plate (or Air Brake) with the Master OFF and the Cut maxed. I also dime the mids. The Flexi cranks my fave distortion tones ever! I have always loved Bob's recordings (especially his Uni-Valve stuff), but never liked what he did with the Flexi. I think his settings are part of the problem! DeGenero's Flexi clips are still definitive, IMO.

Regarding your comments on the THD 2x12, I tend to agree! I think it could be unfavorably coloring your opinion of the Flexi. I placed a THD cab next to my Jenkins Highway 61 and the THD sounded like an overly bright, small-sounding little box, with no low end. Ironically, it was especially bad-sounding with the Flexi! However, plug the Flexi into my G12H30-loaded H61 and it was tone from God!!! Absolutely HUGE and SWEET compared to the THD. It completely transformed the amp! HOWEVER, the THD cab does tend to come alive when running very high volumes. It seems to need high volumes to open up and get the bass happenin'. As for the accentuated highs, they were still there and required rolling them off quite a bit on whatever amp I had plugged into it.

So, I wouldn't give up on the Flexi just yet. I'd try different settings and cabs/speakers. Maybe different tubes.

• Members

Originally posted by maz_master

Well, I disagree regarding the Flexi. I don't hear any weird midrange thing going on. Try some different settings and a Hot-Plate (or Air Brake) with the Master OFF and the Cut maxed. I also dime the mids. The Flexi cranks my fave distortion tones ever! I have always loved Bob's recordings (especially his Uni-Valve stuff), but never liked what he did with the Flexi. I think his settings are part of the problem! DeGenero's Flexi clips are still definitive, IMO.

Regarding your comments on the THD 2x12, I tend to agree! I think it could be unfavorably coloring your opinion of the Flexi. I placed a THD cab next to my Jenkins Highway 61 and the THD sounded like an overly bright, small-sounding little box, with no low end. Ironically, it was especially bad-sounding with the Flexi! However, plug the Flexi into my G12H30-loaded H61 and it was tone from God!!! Absolutely HUGE and SWEET compared to the THD. It completely transformed the amp! HOWEVER, the THD cab does tend to come alive when running
very
high volumes. It seems to need high volumes to open up and get the bass happenin'. As for the accentuated highs, they were still there and required rolling them off quite a bit on whatever amp I had plugged into it.

So, I wouldn't give up on the Flexi just yet. I'd try different settings and cabs/speakers. Maybe different tubes.

Thanks. I have a Splawn 2x12 coming in for the Splawn. Will see how the Flexi likes it. Also, am contemplating purchasing a Hotplate. Also, I'm using George Ls from my guitar to the amp. I've heard, for instrument cable, these might not be the best choice as they emphasize the higher frequencies. Still fiddling. Thanks again.

• Members

Thanks. I have a Splawn 2x12 coming in for the Splawn. Will see how the Flexi likes it. Also, am contemplating purchasing a Hotplate. Also, I'm using George Ls from my guitar to the amp. I've heard, for instrument cable, these might not be the best choice as they emphasize the higher frequencies. Still fiddling. Thanks again.

Man, I gotta' tell ya, the Flexi is one of the smoothest, sweetest-sounding amps I've ever owned, played or heard. But, it did take me a while to dial it in. Gotta' really use your ears and not your eyes with this amp. And, IMO, it really needs the power amp distortion to sound its best. Oh, I'd also try the new Tung-Sol 12AX7s. Awesome tubes all-around, IMO. Still diggin' the Ruby/Shuguang EL34BSTRs as well. Biasing hotter also helps, as Ed said. I find that running at 30mA works great.

• Members

Man, I gotta' tell ya, the Flexi is one of the smoothest, sweetest-sounding amps I've ever owned, played or heard. But, it did take me a while to dial it in. Gotta' really use your ears and not your eyes with this amp. And, IMO, it really needs the power amp distortion to sound its best. Oh, I'd also try the new Tung-Sol 12AX7s. Awesome tubes all-around, IMO. Still diggin' the Ruby/Shuguang EL34BSTRs as well. Biasing hotter also helps, as Ed said. I find that running at 30mA works great.

Keep in mind that Bob uses the Master Volume on the Flexi, which I think is a mistake. Sounds much better with the Master disengaged and controlling output level with a good attenuator - Hot Plate sounds best with this amp, but the Air Brake is killer too. I know Ed recommends running the Mids at noon and rolling off the Cut, but with anything resembling single-coil PUPs, I much prefer diming the Mid and Cut knobs, keeping the Bass below noon to taste (high enough for fullness, low enough to avoid flubbiness) and tailoring the high end with the Treble and Boost Tone knobs. I'd start out with the Boost Tone dimed and control overall highs with Treble. If you can't get a good balance between the Boosted and unboosted highs, *then* start messing with the Boost Tone.

• Members

Keep in mind that Bob uses the Master Volume on the Flexi, which I think is a mistake. Sounds much better with the Master disengaged and controlling output level with a good attenuator - Hot Plate sounds best with this amp, but the Air Brake is killer too. I know Ed recommends running the Mids at noon and rolling off the Cut, but with anything resembling single-coil PUPs, I much prefer diming the Mid and Cut knobs, keeping the Bass below noon to taste (high enough for fullness, low enough to avoid flubbiness) and tailoring the high end with the Treble and Boost Tone knobs. I'd start out with the Boost Tone dimed and control overall highs with Treble. If you can't get a good balance between the Boosted and unboosted highs, *then* start messing with the Boost Tone.

Thanks so much. THIS is why I come to the forum: to get help and information. Much appreciated Maz!

Archived