Is there a worse singer than James Labrie?

willy22

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

Anything is possible, but I think it's boohickie.

By the way, where are you finding your facts? Their first EP was recorded in 82, which means they were probably around a bit before that.

I have a friend that was a big Queensryche fan. The kind that searches for all the stuff he can about the band. He told me all this, and I believe him. Could be wrong. I personally have never seen an interview where Geoff said these things.

• Members

One does not lear how to be an Opera singer in 3-5 years...

That is all...

Originally posted by typedeaF

Well there is also the fact that Tate was born in 1959, and started Queensryche in 1982, which would have made him 23. You dont think from 18 to 23 he could have taken opera? And you think everyone is just lying about his opera teacher singing with her?
:rolleyes:

• Members

I'm late to the party but I really like La Bries vocals and am of the opinion that DT is not DT today if it was not for La Brie. In 92 he had a modern edge to his voice (or should I say it was not 80's prog) that complemented the music well. It was dark and edgy and sounded new. His vocal work on Awake blows me away and is one of the reasons I think that album is DT's darkest. The vocals are so growly yet work with every song.

Now I do not analyze vocals like I do guitar and so for me if the vocals seem to capture the mood of the song and compliment it I like it regardless of how "technically" proficient the notes or tone is. For DT La Brie is the guy who makes up in part their unique sound. Sure there are other "technically" proficient singers who have a more pure tone but La Bire is DT just as much as the other 4 guys.

I was at the same concert as Bob in LA with DT and QR and hands down DT blew them off stage. I have seen QR twice now since Q2K and both times I walked away disappointed with the lack of energy in their show and the guitar tones.

On the other hand I have seen DT 4 times and each time La Brie sounded great. I think he sounds great in the Budokan DVD as well and though 5YIALT is rougher they are still DT and La Brie is still that guy that I want singing those songs.

• Members
Originally posted by typedeaF

I have a friend that was a big Queensryche fan. The kind that searches for all the stuff he can about the band. He told me all this, and I believe him. Could be wrong. I personally have never seen an interview where Geoff said these things.

In the interview on the Livecrime DVD, Geoff talks about how they found their Sister Mary, and it wasn't coz she was his teacher.

And yes, Dave Mustaine is worse than Labrie. :o

• Members

I like Dream Theater, just recently picked up "Awake". Great album but I noticed on this album more than the others I have there are a lot of times where I cannot understand what he's singing. Other times, his voice sounds really good with vibrato and sustain. Almost reminds me of an opera singer, good tone but what the heck are they saying?