Is there a worse singer than James Labrie?

willy22

• Members

Wow. I really offended some of you guys with the thread title. Maybe I should've said he blows goat balls instead? :p
I guess that as a guitarist I should really be impressed with DT, but I can only stomach them every once in awhile, and it's always because of the singer. He's cheesy and annoying on the studio stuff. Granted he does have range, but again, this is in the studio. Everything I've ever heard from DT that was live, it seems that LaBrie just can't pull it off.

I will try to be more kind when giving my .02 cents so as to not offend you oversensitive types. :wave:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by willy22

Wow. I really offended some of you guys with the thread title. Maybe I should've said he blows goat balls instead?
:p

I will try to be more kind when giving my .02 cents so as to not offend you oversensitive types.
:wave:

I don't know that you really offended anybody. I think the lashing is due to the stupidity of how you presented your "opinion."

• Members

So I'm in a Dream Theatre mood. Listening to the Once in a Livetime disk. Do the other guys not realize that he sucks huge donkey balls?

When I saw DT with Queensryche in Atlanta, Geoff Tate simply outclassed LaBrie. But to LaBrie's credit, he seemed to concentrate on serving the songs, and he avoided the over-the-top stratosphere screams I'd been told to expect from him live.

That said, I love his work on _Images and Words_.

(But at the Atlanta show, when they did a duet towards the end, I thought it was cool that Geoff took the high parts, & never once sounded stretched, forced, or strained... ;) )

Chris

• Members
Originally posted by draelyc

When I saw DT with Queensryche in Atlanta, Geoff Tate simply outclassed LaBrie. But to LaBrie's credit, he seemed to concentrate on serving the songs, and he avoided the over-the-top stratosphere screams I'd been told to expect from him live.

That said, I love his work on _Images and Words_.

(But at the Atlanta show, when they did a duet towards the end, I thought it was cool that Geoff took the high parts, & never once sounded stretched, forced, or strained...
;)
)

Chris

I saw DT and QR in L.A., and while I wasn't comparing singers per se, I walked out of there thinking QR got their arses handed to them. DT's sound was tight, thick and just knocked your socks off, whereas QR had probably the worst guitar sound I have ever heard from a band playing a venue the size of the Universal Amphitheater.

Just so I'm not misunderstood though, I'm not throwing QR in front of the bus to make a point. I think QR is great, but Geoff suffers from the same vocal straining Labrie does, at this point in time, and I think they just made some bad decisions on their guitar amps that year.

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

I saw DT and QR in L.A., and while I wasn't comparing singers per se, I walked out of there thinking QR got their arses handed to them. DT's sound was tight, thick and just knocked your socks off, whereas QR had probably the worst guitar sound I have ever heard from a band playing a venue the size of the Universal Amphitheater.

Just so I'm not misunderstood though, I'm not throwing QR in front of the bus to make a point. I think QR is great, but Geoff suffers from the same vocal straining Labrie does, at this point in time, and I think they just made some bad decisions on their guitar amps that year.

Hehe~ I know you're not hurling QR towards any large passenger conveyances, Bob. :) We compared notes on these repsective stops from that tour before, and I got the distinct impression that we each got treated to an "on" night for the opposite band. Hopefully, that means the overall tour balanced out, with good/great performances from both groups.

Now, I'll give you this -- a major strike against QR on that tour was that DeGarmo was *s'pozedta* be playing with them (at least for the Atlanta show, I was told), but he canceled at the last minute, and his replacement was, imvho, utter {censored}e. Tone AND playing -- just complete rhinocerous crap. But Michael Wilton sounded godly when I saw 'em, and Tate was 12 feet tall. :eek:

At any rate, I have no problem accepting the fact that QR didn't do well at the LA show, and I'm glad to know that DT did. At least you got to see one great band kick ass, right?

I also think you're spot on about both singers having put a lot of hard-travellin' miles on their respective vocal chords for long years. Good call.

• Members

I think, love him or hate him, LaBrie is as intregral to DT sound as Portnoy or Petrucci. I think LaBrie is a good singer, but maybe he tries to do too much with his voice in DT. That can work in a studio, but live it's harder to pull off. James has done some non-DT stuff that shows that he is a very good singer..

Back to the QR/DT issue - I think Geoff Tate is a better singer and I'd would have loved to see Tate singing for DT - but that ain't gonna happen. I have seen both bands live (not together though) and I enjoyed Tate's singing more than LaBrie's.

• Members

I really liked Larbrie's vocals on Train of Thought. I haven't heard much of Octavarium. The Once in a Live Time album, however, is very hard to listen to. He slides up and down and barely hits the notes. You can hardly understand the lyrics either. I've always thought his style of singing was a bit in contrast to the music behind him, maybe he should have been an opera singer. Great band overall though!!

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

Yeah, he sounds
slightly
influenced by Tate.
;)

Good stuff Bill.

LOL. Well he named his son Zachary Tate Holtz. Zachary (Stevens of Savatage) and the Tate part is obvious.

It was both a blessing and a curse. The guy could sing his balls off but no matter what we did we always got the QR comparison.

• Members
Originally posted by bstaley

LOL. Well he named his son Zachary Tate Holtz. Zachary (Stevens of Savatage) and the Tate part is obvious.

It was both a blessing and a curse. The guy could sing his balls off but no matter what we did we always got the QR comparison.

I hear you man. Singers with that much influence from another single artist care both a blessing and a curse, especially when they're good, because they can pull it off to the point that it's obvious.

• Members
Originally posted by draelyc

Yeah, I hear the influence, definitely!
:)

Cool groove of a song, mang. Sounds like it was a helluva band.
:thu:

Thanks for the compliments Chris.

This song (Wings) probably shows the best mix of what we were into at the time which was Dream Theater and Queensryche...and a hint of King Diamond. :thu:
Wings

• Members

So I'm in a Dream Theatre mood. Listening to the Once in a Livetime disk. Do the other guys not realize that he sucks huge donkey balls?

I guess there is a ton out there who is worse.
Maybe You just not like his "voice".:idea:

• Members
Originally posted by Robotechnology

I LOVE James Labrie's voice and singing
:cool:

(I'll go run and hide now, so the lynch mob doesn't get me)

I dont like him for the most part. He does have moments but When I think who sing in the upper ranges) My favorites would be Tony Harnell of TNT, Roy Khan of Kamelot, and Michael Sweet( And he doesnt do it for me all the time) Another guy who I dig is this dude Ralf Sheepers(SP?) from Gamma Ray, Great friggin voice!!!

Kage

• Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

I dont like him for the most part. He does have moments but When I think who sing in the upper ranges) My favorites would be Tony Harnell of TNT, Roy Khan of Kamelot, and Michael Sweet( And he doesnt do it for me all the time) Another guy who I dig is this dude Ralf Sheepers(SP?) from Gamma Ray, Great friggin voice!!!

Kage

Man... The guy from TNT sounds like he has his nuts caught in a door or something... I can't stand his voice..