Is there a worse singer than James Labrie?

willy22

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by bstaley

Tony Harnell is a badass. To each his own I guess.

He has power no doubt, but it's so high that I can't figure out what he's understand what he's saying.

I prefer Geoff Tate. He's loud, high but he's clear.

Yeah.. to each his own.

• Members
Originally posted by willy22

So I'm in a Dream Theatre mood. Listening to the Once in a Livetime disk. Do the other guys not realize that he sucks huge donkey balls?

Yes, that is . . .

Graham Bonnet

have see them live here a couple of times and yes, have to agree in some extent to other fellas here. seems that sometimes he's struggling real hard to stay in pitch. but i like his voice, tho.

• Members

When Labrie joined DT in early 90's that kind of singing was the thing to do for metal singers at that time...Now the thing is that i bet James Labrie along with other similar vocalists like Geoff Tate,Ray Alder and many others,did not think for a moment what would happen 15 years later and if they had the chance to become famous and tour constantly using the vocal lines they wrote many years ago....
Because you know...Doing something once or some times when your in great shape is logical...try doing that for 15 years in a row with albums each year and the most busy tour schedule...Add to that that DT is playing 3-4 hours per show and in all songs he barely finds room to breath between those lines...Add to that that a vocalist always works with his voice and he's stuck with it no matter what problems come along the way with extensive use...Well,i believe you undestand that in a voice you can't change a set of strings when you feel like it...
Well i think you get my point this far...
You will notice that all these singers with amazing range and everything begin to go downhill at some pointof their lives..ALL OF EM...Its only natural of course..Some to a more obvious degree and some to a less obvious one...
What i can tell you,is that Labrie's task through the years has been the most demanding from the singers i mentioned...This is partialy his fault because of his decision but the point remains the same..

Ok...so now you're gonna say to me "Can't i say my opinion on this freakin dude??"...
I will say that you definatelly can...But through your posts you were talking about his ability live and the Livetime video you watched....So i guess i reffer to those statements..
plus you mention that you dont like DT much in general and dont find em intersting as a guitarist...So this seems like some whinning for a band you dont like in general which is kinda..emm..you name it..
anyway...

BTW some more stuff....
i suspected something similar watching their carrier through the year but a recent interview with JL justified me...
For 2 albums (Images and Awake..also ACOS) Labrie was kicking all kinds of ass..If you have any live bootleg from that era live or the official Tokyo live you'll notice that Labrie's pitch is perfect...He goes thourgh all his voice range easily..(now if you like that voice or not is another sotry as we said before...)..
In the interview h admited that in a show in Brazil i think on 1994-5 he destroyed his voice and could not speak for weeks...He also admits that up to this day he's trying to recover..(Although i hated Octavarium most people say that he found his voice again..)

ok..you might wanna know some basic stuff on this matter...
Or we can always jump up and say.."Dudes...Labrie sucks!!" :freak:

not to the guy that started this thread specificaly,but...
I really can't understand WTF someone is thinking when he's bashing someone else out of the blue.....
What's the reason?? Want to find others that agree with you??Want to create a hate fun club with em??
I just dont get it...:confused:
Alex

• Members
Originally posted by vlad

Man... The guy from TNT sounds like he has his nuts caught in a door or something...

Oh man..that was funny....almost fell out of my chair.

I'm not a fan of the style of this singing in particular....I'm more of a Sebastian Bach/Joe Elliot type of guy....I like the grit in their voice even if they are not the virtuosos that these guys are.

• Members
Originally posted by ranalli

Oh man..that was funny....almost fell out of my chair.

I'm not a fan of the style of this singing in particular....I'm more of a Sebastian Bach/Joe Elliot type of guy....I like the grit in their voice even if they are not the virtuosos that these guys are.

:D:freak:

I generally like/have no issue with that style, but I don't know... His vocals on TNT songs are either too processed or layered or something. It sounds really messy.

• Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

I dont like him for the most part. He does have moments but When I think who sing in the upper ranges) My favorites would be Tony Harnell of TNT, Roy Khan of Kamelot, and Michael Sweet( And he doesnt do it for me all the time) Another guy who I dig is this dude Ralf Sheepers(SP?) from Gamma Ray, Great friggin voice!!!

Kage

Gamma Ray..Cool Kage. I beleive that band was started by at least one guy from Helloween.. I do not know if he is still in it. I grabbed some stuff off the net and it's good.

• Members

He has power no doubt, but it's so high that I can't figure out what he's understand what he's saying.

I prefer Geoff Tate. He's loud, high but he's clear.

Yeah.. to each his own.

Man, the funny thing about Tate's voice is that, even when he's in the stratosphere, the tone quality is such that it "sound" like he's singing lower... I often don't realize how high he's singing till I try to sing along. :o Of course, other times it's more obvious... :p

• Members
Originally posted by draelyc

Man, the funny thing about Tate's voice is that, even when he's in the stratosphere, the tone quality is such that it "sound" like he's singing lower... I often don't realize how high he's singing till I try to sing along.
:o
Of course, other times it's more obvious...
:p

Wasn't he trained as an opera singer?

• Members

Man, the funny thing about Tate's voice is that, even when he's in the stratosphere, the tone quality is such that it "sound" like he's singing lower... I often don't realize how high he's singing till I try to sing along.
:o
Of course, other times it's more obvious...
:p

I'm probably going to catch a load for this, and it's to a much lesser degree, however, I always found this to be true with Roth too. Some of the stuff he's done is a lot higher than it sounds... not on Tate's level, but I'm just sayin'...

• Members
Originally posted by ranalli

I completely agree. You know who has a fantastic voice IMO? Joe Cocker.

• Members

I heard that he sang opera professionally for a time, before Rock N Roll claimed him. Can anyone confirm?

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he did. There's an operatic element to Queensryche that I always loved.

• Members

Man... The guy from TNT sounds like he has his nuts caught in a door or something... I can't stand his voice..

LOL.

Tony Harnell was just like that when he became a member of TNT years back. Many here just thought of him beeing a "castrated woman in pain" (I guess such a person don't exists..), or something similar.

BUT, this guy can sing great. Too many remember him from the old days, these times around a lot have changed.
TNT is up and running again, maybe better than ever. A f... killer band, with a cool T.H. in front with Ronnie who just still is a killer player, who still can make quite some heads spin.
Great stuff!:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by 2B

LOL.

Tony Harnell was just like that when he became a member of TNT years back. Many here just thought of him beeing a "castrated woman in pain" (I guess such a person don't exists..), or something similar.

BUT, this guy can sing great. Too many remember him from the old days, these times around a lot have changed.

TNT is up and running again, maybe better than ever. A f... killer band, with a cool T.H. in front with Ronnie who just still is a killer player, who still can make quite some heads spin.

Great stuff!
:thu:

YO Brother Torbjorn!!! wassup?!?!

I have to tell you that recent TNT is disappointing me. The New album " all the way to the sun" did nothing for me , there are a few tunes that had a lot of potential to be great but they seemed like they just dont care anymore. "MyReligion" has 5-7 kick ass tunes on it but after that its eh....

they need to take their time and come out with an updated version of Intuition. That album( and Tell No Tales to a lesser degree) defined that band IMO

Ronni's definitely one of my heroes for sure, I just wish hed get back the fire...

be well Bro!!

Kage

• Members
Originally posted by Alex Flouros

In the interview h admited that in a show in Brazil i think on 1994-5 he destroyed his voice and could not speak for weeks...He also admits that up to this day he's trying to recover..

Alex

What happened during that show? Bad monitors? I guess if you can't hear yourself one might blow out their voice.

Just curious.

• Members
Originally posted by Alex Flouros

Add to that that DT is playing 3-4 hours per show and in all songs he barely finds room to breath between those lines...

Alex

Well that's not exactly true. They have so many long instrumental breaks in all the songs that there's lots of time to rest between vocal parts.

• Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

YO Brother Torbjorn!!! wassup?!?!

I have to tell you that recent TNT is disappointing me. The New album " all the way to the sun" did nothing for me , there are a few tunes that had a lot of potential to be great but they seemed like they just dont care anymore. "MyReligion" has 5-7 kick ass tunes on it but after that its eh....

they need to take their time and come out with an updated version of Intuition. That album( and Tell No Tales to a lesser degree) defined that band IMO

Ronni's definitely one of my heroes for sure, I just wish hed get back the fire...

be well Bro!!

Kage

Hi bro Kage.
Cool to hear from You!

Maybe the last album is "so-so". But live they still are just a killer band. I wonder why they just do not capture that rawness on record when they sure can do it live:confused:
Strange..

Take care!
:)

• Members
Originally posted by thegame

What happened during that show? Bad monitors? I guess if you can't hear yourself one might blow out their voice.

Just curious.

could be the bad speakers, but in that evening was raining like hell (and it was an outside venue), possibly some damage have occur on the equipment.

• Members

Well that's not exactly true. They have so many long instrumental breaks in all the songs that there's lots of time to rest between vocal parts.

there's something not smart about his singing...
most good singers have 1-2 highlights during a song..
i believe thats the best things to do because
a)you don't become annoying ala Mariah Carrey
b)the song has it's peaks that way..kind of a climax..
3)you can do the same live and in longer terms without killing your voice..

Unfortunatelly JL went full throttle when he joined DT and has more highlights in one song than most singers have in a whole live show..
Alex

• Members

Just curious.

i dont know exactly...hge just did..
i guess its not that hard when pushing yourself much..
maybe an outside factor like the monitors could hav helped..
Remember Ian Gillan losing his voice on his first "child in time" live attempt??
Singers are fragile for sure...
maybe thats why most of em act like pricks...:D
Alex