John Petrucci liquid lead tone?

SFW

• Members

Ok, here a question that I would seriously appreciate some help with: How does John Petrucci get such a liquid quality to his lead tones on the last two DT discs? I know that he uses DR RKs on these albums, so what

• Members

Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

I like the Mark IV for liquid lead tones...don't you have a Mark IV?

Here's a clip I did recently where the leads were a Mark IV lead channel without EQ engaged...raw liquid lead tone IMO
:)

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=18891

For a rectifier series I would recommend some sort of clean boost pedal to help smooth out the tone.....

Cool stuff!

I think the trick is to make sure you are using lots of reverb and delay :)

• Members

Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

I like the Mark IV for liquid lead tones...don't you have a Mark IV?

Yes, I have a Mark IV. However, at the moment, for the band I play in the TOV is a better fit. Until I can afford the mondo amount of rack gear that it would take to switch between the two heads, I have to figure out a way to get my lead tone a bit smoother. Not that I hate my lead tone, I just want to improve upon it.

• Members

Originally posted by SFW

Yes, I have a Mark IV. However, at the moment, for the band I play in the TOV is a better fit. Until I can afford the mondo amount of rack gear that it would take to switch between the two heads, I have to figure out a way to get my lead tone a bit smoother. Not that I hate my lead tone, I just want to improve upon it.

Try a clean boost pedal, it will help IMO :).

• Members

He uses reverb on his lead tones? I just thought a load of delay.

I don't think JP uses a boost with his RK rig. He used a fulltone fulldrive with his IIC+ rig I believe.

I really like his current tone, and really want that lead tone, but I can't get it liquid enough. Even with a clean boost, and an improvement in my technique, it's still not as liquid as his..

hmm..

• Members

Originally posted by desiderium

i think a lot of it has to do with his neck pickup too... when i saw them live he switched to it for several solos.

yep. This will give you a smoother tone. The bridge pickup is better for rythem really.

I find its best to use the bridge pickup for any low notes and as you start playing further up the fret board switch to neck pickup.

If you've ever seen michael angelo live you will see him doing a run low down and he will switch to the neck pickup just before he starts playing higher up the fret board for a smoother sound.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDirtyCat

yep. This will give you a smoother tone. The bridge pickup is better for rythem really.

I find its best to use the bridge pickup for any low notes and as you start playing further up the fret board switch to neck pickup.

If you've ever seen michael angelo live you will see him doing a run low down and he will switch to the neck pickup just before he starts playing higher up the fret board for a smoother sound.

I also +1 this.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDirtyCat

You are giving away me and the Petrucci's secrets!!!! Actually, sometimes I like the sound of the neck pickup for those leads and sometimes it sounds liquidy and kind of wimpy so it depends on where my ears are at that day whether the neck pickup sounds good for leads to me.

When I first started listening thwe the early DT stuff I loved the MarkII rhythm hard crunchy stuff and then disliked the Santana-like droney lead style he does with the neck pickup. Then it started to grow on me I guess...but only sometimes. There's no free lunch.

• Members

I think it's a combo of things. The Roadking is there, but he adds lots of stuff to spice up the tone. Delay, comp, etc and you gotta take his guitar wood and pickup choices into consideration too. Like mentioned above, he also uses the neck position a lot for leads.

On one young guitar vid, he demos his TOT rig going through cleans to distortion and you can hear his "dry" leads (with a touch of delay) to really wet lead tones.

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by SFW

MicroABcream.JPG

Archived