STUPID question: how long do you keep your boxes?

McHale

• Members

If you want to keep boxes, try taking all the packing material out of all the ones you have (taping together/marking pieces that came together), put all those in a couple of trash bags, then collapse all the boxes.

They'll take up way less space that way.
:thu:

dB

this is what i would do if storage space was a precious commodity. it takes up less space and it's very easy to rebuild the box if it becomes necessary.

• Members

Until recently I used to pitch the boxes once the warranty is over, however, after selling a humongous amount of gear on ebay the last couple of years I now save them...just in case.

I had several synthesizers that were a bitch to find boxes for, after hunting for some at U-Haul, UPS, etc I wound up having to cut U-Haul boxes down and remake them to fit the synth., not much fun!

If it's a small enough item(rack gear, mixers, etc)than I would pitch them after the warranty, but it's a good idea to keep even them if you think there might be a chance of reselling them down the road. It seems to make the sale more attractive if you can take pictures with the original box.:cool:

• Members

If it's the original box I keep it. Might get a little bit extra by mentioning that in the ebay ad when I sell it.

Otherwise I tend to use them to store smaller boxes of other gear with printed manuals, etc. I think in my v-synth box I have a a headphone box with it's parts and assembly list, cubase box with license info and manuals, v-synth packing material, a few boxes for pedals, and some other stuff.

• Members

I keep all my boxes, internal packing materials, manuals, cds, cables, etc. Having all that stuff really is a strong selling point for Ebay sales. I almost never buy something that does not come with the original box (or case for guitars - which I have not purchased in a long time).

I have a large, dry, and clean (fully poured concrete floor) crawlspace in my basement that houses most of my boxes. Some of the smaller boxes are on the top of my bookshelves in my office.

• Members

Just big stuff like keyboards since its easier than finding cheap shipping boxes that fit and won't fall apart. Besides, they double as attic insulation, eh?

The only exception on the small stuff is my MachineDrum since everyone who has owned one seems to have sold theirs at one point...

• Members

I like to keep all my boxes. The oldest is an SH-101 box from 1984. I found it at my parents place after not using it for about 17 years. It had the SH-101 inside. That was a very good day.

That must have been one of those mega 'feel good' moments :D

• Members

I am holding on to my sh-101 and Voyager boxes. I am keeping the sh-101 around because I get a chuckle at the cool cartoon dude jamming on his strapped-on 101. Also, it just happens to fit nicely inside my Voyager box.

• Members

As vintage gear prices keep increasing -the boxe$ themselves may develop their own monetary value.

Currently on E bay it is not uncommon to see old Rhodes or synthesizer adds from magazines selling for $10.00 +.

Twenty years from now that old Moog, Oberheim, etc, box maybe worth $200.00 !

I got an FB01 box, good condition $50.00 free shipping

• Members

I keep them until the gear goes on ebay..... or dies. Even if you don't want to sell the item, you never know if it might need to go somewhere to be serviced. The original packaging is the best bet to keep it safe on its journey.

Usually this is an attractive selling point if you ever want to put it on ebay. Most folks know if you were careful enough to keep the packaging you probably also took good care of the synth. It instills buyer confidence and an added sense of security.

+100.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a place to keep your gear boxes.

• Members

A week or two at most. Since gets case or gig bag the stuff will fit in for any needed transport. If needed to ship it somewhere would go to ups store and have it boxed with them starfoam peanuts added. Only boxes I keep are for stereo gear for any future moves. But cant think of any reason to keep music gear boxes since as said gets gigbag or case for em.

• Members

I keep my boxes until I decide whether or not I plan to keep a piece of kit for a long time. Once I decide, I buy ATA cases for the stuff I plan to keep and go mobile with.

Currently, only my M3, MPC-2500, DJ rig, and records have ATA cases. I may have to get a custom one for the Blofeld KB.

• Members

Nothing new to add really. I keep most of the boxes until it's time to sell. Unless it's something so cheap that it doens't matter anyway.

I keep the boxes more for resale value than warranty because it's VERY rare (With the exception of Mackie products) that I need to send it out.

Archived