2 heads, 1 2x12

zadiqof

• Members

I have two Matchless heads and one orange 2x12 cabinet. You get the picture.

I know the extra jack in the cab is generally for running to another cab, But;

I hooked it up, 8 ohm output on both amps, one to the right input, the other to the left (the inputes arent labeled on the orange, so I assumed it was a stereo operation, I did it cautiously with the volume down). Surprisingly, I lowered and raised each volume (very low volumes) to test if it worked, and heck, it did. Anyone want to tell me if it is safe to turn this up, and make sure my impedances are correct?

• Members
Originally posted by zadiqof

I have two Matchless heads and one orange 2x12 cabinet. You get the picture.

I hooked it up, 8 ohm output on both amps, one to the right input, the other to the left (the inputes arent labeled on the orange, so I assumed it was a stereo operation, I did it cautiously with the volume down). Surprisingly, I lowered and raised each volume (very low volumes) to test if it worked, and heck, it did. Anyone want to tell me if it is safe to turn this up, and make sure my impedances are correct?

I'd be far more worried about making absolutely certain it was a stereo cab before even attempting such a silly stunt.

• Members

I think you sir have very luckily escaped the simultaneous execution of two amps.

I'm pretty sure if you turn it up both amps will blow, as in BOOM. AFAIK no Orange cab is wired for stereo, and if it was it usually has a mono/stereo switch.

Therefore, your cab = mono. Therefore 2 amps = boom.

• Members

Originally posted by Bumble

I think you sir have very luckily escaped the simultaneous execution of two amps.

I'm pretty sure if you turn it up both amps will blow, as in BOOM. AFAIK no Orange cab is wired for stereo, and if it was it usually has a mono/stereo switch.

Therefore, your cab = mono. Therefore 2 amps = boom.

dang

its just strange that a speaker output on this cab works like an amp input at low volumes. strange.

• Members

dang

its just strange that a speaker output on this cab works like an amp input at low volumes. strange.

The two jacks on the speaker cab are identical, they are wired in parallel with each other so that when another cab is connected, bam, you have a cab in parallel. Connecting two amps there is like, well, performing double penetration. The two dicks must go through the same hole, but they have to touch each other to do so and that is just plain WRONG. You are just connecting the two amps together, and the amps are juicing each other with no load between them. You hear sound because some current still flows towards the speakers.

Sorry about the analogy, couldnt think of a better one.

• Members

is there any way I could wire them in stereo?

Yeps sure, easy as ABC, just wire one jack to one speaker, and the other jack to the other speaker, without leaving any interconnects between the two jacks or speakers. That will result in a 16ohm per side stereo cab if before it was 8ohm mono.

• Members

The two jacks on the speaker cab are identical, they are wired in parallel with each other so that when another cab is connected, bam, you have a cab in parallel. Connecting two amps there is like, well, performing double penetration. The two dicks must go through the same hole, but they have to touch each other to do so and that is just plain WRONG. You are just connecting the two amps together, and the amps are juicing each other with no load between them. You hear sound because some current still flows towards the speakers.

Sorry about the analogy, couldnt think of a better one.

HAHAHA

• Members

Yeps sure, easy as ABC, just wire one jack to one speaker, and the other jack to the other speaker, without leaving any interconnects between the two jacks or speakers. That will result in a 16ohm per side stereo cab if before it was 8ohm mono.

Im gonna do that right now, although, one thing, it said 16 ohm mono as a cab, so I would assume after rewiring it, each is 8 ohms per side?

• Members

Im gonna do that right now, although, one thing, it said 16 ohm mono as a cab, so I would assume after rewiring it, each is 8 ohms per side?

Yes sir, that would mean you currently have two 8ohm speakers in series. Just make sure the two channels arent in any way in contact with each other, and do the wiring carefully, amke sure everything is in order. I'm sorry if that sounds patronising but, although this is a very simple job, I dont know how electricity-savvy you are, and wouldnt like you to damage your amps :D

• Members

Yes sir, that would mean you currently have two 8ohm speakers in series. Just make sure the two channels arent in any way in contact with each other, and do the wiring carefully, amke sure everything is in order. I'm sorry if that sounds patronising but, although this is a very simple job, I dont know how electricity-savvy you are, and wouldnt like you to damage your amps
:D

well, its not gonna work because the wires are connected & soldered via the inputs... damn it. I can't solder.

• Members

well, its not gonna work because the wires are connected soldered via the inputs... damn it. I can't solder.

Ah yes they would be, I thought you could solder, sorry! Best take it to someone who can then, or maybe your local shop can do it.

Take Care.

• Members

Ah yes they would be, I thought you could solder, sorry! Best take it to someone who can then, or maybe your local shop can do it.

Take Care.

If I was macgyver, how would I do this right here, right now?

• Members

{censored}, i forgot which wires go where
:freak:

..well, i hooked them back up in guessed locations due to the chart ^^ up there ^^ and the amp/guitar sounds now, so I assume I got it right? G'damn, I can buy the stuff, I can play the stuff, but I sure as hell can't work on the stuff.

• Members

If I was macgyver, how would I do this right here, right now?

Take a lemon and some baking soda an old lady dropped on her way back home from the store to produce some heat from a chemical reaction to melt the solder. Then pull 2 rabbits out of a nearby bush to bite the wire into and strip them. Then set them on fire with a cigar some homeless person threw down 3 days ago that still happens to be smoldering. Then steal a baseball and bat from a kid walking by and hit the ball to the cigar to ignite the rabbits who in turn jump in the cab and precisely melt the joints back correctly in place. A large gust of wind then comes along and blows the panel back on the cab and all is done.

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyChains

Take a lemon and some baking soda an old lady dropped on her way back home from the store to produce some heat from a chemical reaction to melt the solder. Then pull 2 rabbits out of a nearby bush to bite the wire into and strip them. Then set them on fire with a cigar some homeless person threw down 3 days ago that still happens to be smoldering. Then steal a baseball and bat from a kid walking by and hit the ball to the cigar to ignite the rabbits who in turn jump in the cab and precisely melt the joints back correctly in place. A large gust of wind then comes along and blows the panel back on the cab and all is done.

All wrong, McGuyver always uses his Swiss knife :mad:

• Members

All wrong, McGuyver always uses his Swiss knife
:mad:

Damn, I knew I missed something. I rarely watched the show but I remember him stopping the bad guys from getting away by grabbing a bat and ball and hitting the scoreboard in the right place as it fell on the speeding car. LMAO!

Archived