OT... IRS Audit

Fxrs

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by telephant

I was thinking the same thing... But in honor of this thread, I will say, you mother{censored}ers disgust me!
:mad::p

Aren't you the {censored} who tore me a new one for taking the cash out of that wallet I found in a bathroom and flushing the wallet down the toilet? LOL

Boy did I catch hell for admitting to that stunt! HAHA!

• Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

Theres a Very fine line in what youre talking about Don....

You're absolutely right. Some guys will tell their clients exactly what they want to hear, regardless of whether it crosses the line. But there are also lots of grey areas where the law isn't clear, and you have to help the client make a judgment call. You can certainly influence that call, but you shouldn't make it yourself. If the client takes a position you can't live with, then you have to disassociate yourself. 'Course, this all easier to say than to do, because no one likes to lose a source of income. :)

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

Seriously though, cut the guy some slack...

There is a world of difference between taking a position on a questionable expense and supporting your position and then deducting it, and committing fraud. If the IRS disagrees, they disallow the deducition and you can argue over that one and reach a compromise.

But manufacturing fraudulent deductions that don't exist? No sympathy here.

• Members

Originally posted by DonK

Not if he wanted to keep his license. We might take aggressive deductions, but very few of us would be willing to sanction making them up.

I never had trouble telling a client that wanted me to commit outright fraud to take his tax work someplace else. They think that the initials CPA stand for Certified Public Accomplice.

• Members
Originally posted by Doug's Tubes

I never had trouble telling a client that wanted me to commit outright fraud to take his tax work someplace else. They think that the initials CPA stand for Certified Public Accomplice.

I know the type, man, I'm with you. :)

• Members
Originally posted by kannibul

I don't remember any boxes to check...

hmm. How can I check to see if I am signed up on that?

they should have asked you about it when you signed your mortgage paperwork. It's pretty standard here. The Homestead Act prevents you from being sued and losing your primary residence. I am not sure if non-payment of taxes counts. And of course it doesn't stop forclosures if you don't pay your mortgage. But it does prevent anyone else from suing you and taking your house. Of course they can take everything inside the house that has any value, but at least you still have a house.:D

• Members
Originally posted by SkidMarx

they should have asked you about it when you signed your mortgage paperwork. It's pretty standard here. The Homestead Act prevents you from being sued and losing your primary residence. I am not sure if non-payment of taxes counts. And of course it doesn't stop forclosures if you don't pay your mortgage. But it does prevent anyone else from suing you and taking your house. Of course they can take everything inside the house that has any value, but at least you still have a house.
:D

edit: not the Homestead Act. I have the wrong law. There is a law that allows you to declare your primary residence a Homestead and it is protected from seizure if you are sued. Anyone else know what it's called?

• Members

edit: not the Homestead Act. I have the wrong law. There is a law that allows you to declare your primary residence a Homestead and it is protected from seizure if you are sued. Anyone else know what it's called?

ok, I figured out my mistake. I thought the law as a federal law. Of course the federal "Homestead Act" was repealled in 1976(?). The law I was referring to is actually a Massachusetts law. Here's a link:

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/rod/rodhom/homidx.htm

• Members

You will get out of this trust me... I didn't read the whole thread but on the deduction you faked you may owe 3-4K depending on the tax bracket...

You will not loose your house... Assuming that you are not hidding anything else, something you didn't mention in this thread.

You can negociate with the IRS for monthly payments.

BTW, there are several types of audit. Sometimes they just give you a call and ask you a few questions. That is an audit by definition.

Etienne.

• Members

You will get out of this trust me... I didn't read the whole thread but on the deduction you faked you may owe 3-4K depending on the tax bracket...

You will not loose your house... Assuming that you are not hidding anything else, something you didn't mention in this thread.

You can negociate with the IRS for monthly payments.

BTW, there are several types of audit. Sometimes they just give you a call and ask you a few questions. That is an audit by definition.

Etienne.

• Members

The Get out of jail FREE card?

• Members

I don't know where I heard this piece of advice so I don't know how good it is, but...

If the agent comes to your house, try to schedule the meeting sometime Friday afternoon. It's gonna be the end of the work week, and he'll probably want to get the {censored} out of there. May cut you some slack, you never know.

• Members

I believe the Homestead Act prevents your house from being seized under these circumstances.

Some states have homestead acts, but that protects your house from BANKRUPTCY.

Declaring bankruptcy does not relieve you of your tax obligations.

And there is no federal homestead act, in fact the latest bankruptcy reform puts limits on state homestead acts.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Residential is one of the few areas, other than known speed traps, where I do maintain the speed limit. It's just too dangerous to speed in residential areas, IMO.

Ditto.

I speed all over....but residential areas and parking lots I CRAWL.

Archived