Speaker Question, Jensen MOD, Good or Bad?

The Boogie Man

• Members

I have a 3/4 backed 2x10 with Jensen MODs in it. It's a homemade cab with a power amp built in that I run my V-amp through. I've never run anything else through those Jensens, so I'm not in a great position to comment on the tone.

I went with the MODs because:
1) they were cheap
2) they are supposed to fairly neutral sounding speakers

IMO the MODs are suitable replacement speakers for practice amps, but if you're hoping for tone on a Celestion or Eminence level you're going to be disappointed. They don't seem to colour the sound much, but they do break up a little when pushed and have a good crunch for mid-gain tones. I've heard they don't take well to closed back cabs.

• Members

Thanks for your reply.

I pretty much run my amps clean this speaker is going into a Reverend Hellhound I picked up over Christmas, the stock speaker farts out too much when pushed. Who ever had this amp before me pushed it to hard for the speaker and knew nothing about maintenance on tube amps. I tested and replaced most the tubes, the stock EH power tubes were almost dead, now it really sounds great at moderate volume, above that the speaker starts to rumble.

Archived