Boss GT 8 vs Line 6 POD XT Live vs ToneLab

wheresgrant3

• Members

wheresgrant...

The guy in my band uses the monitors to hear. Having a powered speaker defeats the purpose of "going direct".

FOr what we do in this band...nobody complains. We're kind of a wedding/corp bandplaying music form the 60's to 90's. Low stage volume.

Now if we were doing metal or whatnot it would sound horrid.

I only notice it when he is trying to do a dirty sound...it sounds fake/funny. The crowd doesn't really care. I think he could get it better but he doesn't tweak much. I am responsible for much of the guitar tones so it doesn't matter too much.

I vote for guitar>GT-8>direct to board for your circumstance. Plug it right into your keys mixer. Easy, simple, and effective enough. Make it easy on yourself. I am sure you can find a handful of useable tones.

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

wheresgrant...

The guy in my band uses the monitors to hear. Having a powered speaker defeats the purpose of "going direct".

FOr what we do in this band...nobody complains. We're kind of a wedding/corp bandplaying music form the 60's to 90's. Low stage volume.

Now if we were doing metal or whatnot it would sound horrid.

I only notice it when he is trying to do a dirty sound...it sounds fake/funny. The crowd doesn't really care. I think he could get it better but he doesn't tweak much. I am responsible for much of the guitar tones so it doesn't matter too much.

I vote for guitar>GT-8>direct to board for your circumstance. Plug it right into your keys mixer. Easy, simple, and effective enough. Make it easy on yourself. I am sure you can find a handful of useable tones.

Well... I would only go direct in situations (small space) that would warrant it. My setup (including keys)takes less than 30 mins to setup and typical rooms we play we have more than 1 1/2 hrs between load in and soundcheck. I tried using a POD 2.0 thru my mixer in a room with a small stage a few years back. It was also one of the few rooms we played that had their own sound. I ran the keys/guitar to the sub mixer through a DI box to the PA. It was incredibly hard to get stage volumes. During the first set, my guitar was being monitored through the keyboard amp at my feet. Our lead guitar player complained that my guitar coming through the monitors was making it difficult to monitor his singing. I agreed. It was distracting and really f**ked with what I was hearing on stage. So during the second set I moved my keys amp to our backline.... however standing 7-9 feet away I could barely hear myself with the paper thin tone coming through the keyboard amp. It sounded like I was playing through a transisitor radio.

I'm sure the BOSS offers some killer amp models. However, spending 10 days tweaking patches, arranging a usable monitoring setup, and seting unified volume patch levels is not my idea of simplistc. It sort of defeats the purpose of plugging into a tube, no matter how much onstage gear it eliminates. I gig with my XXX and 2x12 because it's simple to set up and sounds great on stage. Effects switching is my primary concern. Just want something easy to use. Having the usable amp tones are just a plus.... gravy. Some extra assurance that if the stage is too small or my tubes fail I have some options. ;)

• Members

Okay...sounds like you have this mostly figured out.

I will say that running stuff through th emonitors isn't unusual. It's nice to have a separate monitor mix (that's not REAL hard to do)...but guitars through monitors can still be done. Your singer just isn't used to it, and possibly the guitar was too loud.

Keep in mind that you'll need to tweak a little bit no matter which unit you use. The factory has a tendency to mismatch the vloume level form patch to patch, as well as abuse the effects levels.

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Well... I would only go direct in situations (small space) that would warrant it. My setup (including keys)takes less than 30 mins to setup and typical rooms we play we have more than 1 1/2 hrs between load in and soundcheck. I tried using a POD 2.0 thru my mixer in a room with a small stage a few years back. It was also one of the few rooms we played that had their own sound. I ran the keys/guitar to the sub mixer through a DI box to the PA. It was incredibly hard to get stage volumes. During the first set, my guitar was being monitored through the keyboard amp at my feet. Our lead guitar player complained that my guitar coming through the monitors was making it difficult to monitor his singing. I agreed. It was distracting and really f**ked with what I was hearing on stage. So during the second set I moved my keys amp to our backline.... however standing 7-9 feet away I could barely hear myself with the paper thin tone coming through the keyboard amp. It sounded like I was playing through a transisitor radio.

I'm sure the BOSS offers some killer amp models. However, spending 10 days tweaking patches, arranging a usable monitoring setup, and seting unified volume patch levels is not my idea of simplistc. It sort of defeats the purpose of plugging into a tube, no matter how much onstage gear it eliminates. I gig with my XXX and 2x12 because it's simple to set up and sounds great on stage. Effects switching is my primary concern. Just want something easy to use. Having the usable amp tones are just a plus.... gravy. Some extra assurance that if the stage is too small or my tubes fail I have some options.
;)

Personally, I think the time you spend at first to set up the GT-8 is not that bad. It is fun, and it will take longer than you expect because you'll accidentally stumble onto new sounds that really turn you on.

Once you learn the basics of the GT-8, you will spend very little time on stage fooling around with it. As I said earlier, the only big issue is making sure all the patches are at the right volume levels. When playing live, you adjust the levels with a dedicated knob and then hit the write button and be done with it.

As for using the GT-8 into a guitar amp or direct: IMHO, going into the guitar amp is better. Even though going direct is easier since you don't have to lug around the amp, the amp is better for 2 reasons:

1) With the amp, you have a backup in case an idiot breaks your GT-8 or spills beer all over it, etc.

2) Guitar amps are more fogiving than line inputs, especially tube amps. If you drive the output too hot on a line input, it clips. If you do the same on a guitar input of a tube amp, it still clips, but in a way that is pleasing instead of harsh.

If you decide to get the GT-8, buy 2 right-angle guitar cables. Hook the right-angle sides into the GT-8. This keeps the chords much less susceptible to sombody walking on them and ripping them out and possibly damaging your GT-8.

• Members

I'm late to this thread - but in my experience, a Variax with a Vetta/XTlive is the most flexible rig I've ever had.

The vetta is my go-to choice....the XTL as a backup. I've used the XTL many times just to get used to it in case I need to use the backup - tonally it is the equal of the Vetta (without the dual amp feature)

You could theoretically walk into a place with a Gator double gigbag - the XTL on one side, the variax on the other. Everything you need strapped on your back.

And cover virtually any tone you needed - including acoustic.

It does need some tweaking to get the best tones - but the on-line library of patches will really help there. It's not as hard as some make it out to be.

Monitoring? Many solutions for that. I would probably just mix the montor sound into your keys monitor sys. I use the Vetta - so that takes care of my onstage "monitor" needs - but I'm considering trying IEM's soon. If they work out - the XTL will be my primary rig.

• Members

How does the ToneLab SE sound into an amp for lower gain sounds? How would that compare to the GT8?

I'm playing 60's music in a band that plays coffee houses... I have never played this quiet in my life and find myself struggling with my F-50 to keep the level down while still getting tone that I can live with.... even using a Hotplate.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by SuperStrat

How does the ToneLab SE sound into an amp for lower gain sounds? How would that compare to the GT8?

I'm playing 60's music in a band that plays coffee houses... I have never played this quiet in my life and find myself struggling with my F-50 to keep the level down while still getting tone that I can live with.... even using a Hotplate.

Thanks!

How do you like the F-50?

• Members

Originally posted by amplayer

How do you like the F-50?

It's a great amp. It's quite versatile, but takes a little time to get it dialed in.

If I was playing in any other band life would be good... these guys play so quiet that people can converse in a normal voice ten feet away from the band. It's kind of cool playing that quiet, but dynamics and decent tone can be a challenge.... maybe I can do better with a modeler. I've resisted up till now.

• Members

It's a great amp. It's quite versatile, but takes a little time to get it dialed in.

If I was playing in any other band life would be good... these guys play so quiet that people can converse in a normal voice ten feet away from the band. It's kind of cool playing that quiet, but dynamics and decent tone can be a challenge.... maybe I can do better with a modeler. I've resisted up till now.

Resistance is futile.

• Members

Even though I love the GT-8, I've been thinking about getting a Mesa Road King. With 4 totally independent channels and reverb, it is quite the versatile amp. Of course, the GT-8 is even more versatile, but having a great AND versatile amp to go with the modeller would be the best of both worlds. Now, if I can just talk my wife into it...

• Members

Even though I love the GT-8, I've been thinking about getting a Mesa Road King. With 4 totally independent channels and reverb, it is quite the versatile amp. Of course, the GT-8 is even more versatile, but having a great AND versatile amp to go with the modeller would be the best of both worlds. Now, if I can just talk my wife into it...

No offense, but if weren't for the volume problem I'm having I would never play a modeler. Talk to your wife and buy that amp... you won't be sorry!

I

• Members

Actually, if I got the Road King, I would probably end up using my GT-8 as a stomp-box only. When the GT-8 is bypassed, I can't hear any difference from plugging straight into an amp. I know that real tone purists say that the pickup has to go straight to the first 12ax7 or the tone is ruined, but I have not found that to be true, especially with the GT-8.

However, I need the Road King if I do it, because it has 4 channels plus SOLO levels. There aren't ANY other amps on the market that have enough versatility for me to consider the amp instead of the GT-8. The GT-8 sounds great by itself, so the Road King is really just a case of GAS, but I still can't get the thought of the mighty Road King out of my mind.

I am with you amplayer. I know there are many fantastic amps out there. But there are very few that are usable to me in all my live incarnations. the Mesa MK IV with it's footswitchable FX loop is one. The RK may be another, I'll have to look into it.

• Members

I can't remember if the GT-6 has the amp switching capability. I traded in my GT-6 for a GT-8, so I should know, but it's been a while and I never used that feature.

However, I strongly suggest the GT-8 over the GT-6 even if they both have it. The GT-8 has way more effects possibilities and noticably better sound quality IMHO.

Archived