Do your guitar skills justify your gear collection?

televisionary

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well,,, I'm with you feller's !!!!!

I used to have bunches and bunches of stuff,,, but over the years,,, thinned it down to what worked best out on the road,, and minimally too,,with smaller, lighter, and cheaper,but decent, good sounding stuff.....and most of it,, what I could buy almost any old place,, just in case it got stolen or whatever....... I might also add,,,I got old, i got tired with a bad back and lots of muscle aches I didn't used to have,,,, and probably got a little lazy too... and working as a full time musician,, the dollar just seems more dear to me now than when I had a real day job....

I'm glad I'm a blues guy,(keep it simple), I really feel for those of you who GAS a lot,(been there, done that), I'm happy just to window shop on e-bay,,,and talk about girls or other weird stuff...... :D

• Members
Originally posted by televisionary

Wouldn't it rock if Guitar Center or wherever, tested you before you could buy the high end gear? They had a panel of musicians (albeit dead end ones, considering they work at GC) that critiqued your playing, and based on your score, you get to buy a Crate and a Squire, or a Les Paul and a Triple Rectifier. If the Sonic Youth type guys liked your playing, they'd let you buy a Jazzmaster and a Vox.

So just what do you see yourself playing under those rules?

Then they should decide at the DMV what kind of car you were allowed to own based on your driving test. Just made it guys would be driving used Yugos and top qualifiers could own Ferraris or Porsches.

Bob has the right answer if your wallet qualifys you that is all that's needed. It is about MONEY and nothing to do with talent.

• Members
Originally posted by Casey4s

So just what do you see yourself playing under those rules?

Then they should decide at the DMV what kind of car you were allowed to own based on your driving test. Just made it guys would be driving used Yugos and top qualifiers could own Ferraris or Porsches.

Bob has the right answer if your wallet qualifys you that is all that's needed. It is about MONEY and nothing to do with talent.

:thu:

absolutely..... people often wondered why Strom Thurmond had a 30ish year old wife,, AND fathered a child when he was almost 90.... I suppose the answer is,,,, because he COULD.......:D

• Members

I think that if there is anything that justifies the gear you have besides your budget it is how often you use it. That being said, I think that if someone wants nice gear and can afford it, thats their business no matter what their skill level is or how practical it is for them to own.

Tyler

• Members

A better arugment would be does your playing justify the road cases.
Quantity and quality is fine,hell I'd love to have as much gear as some guys on here do but when you see people who stick their gear into huge roadcases when they never play outside there hometown is just stupid.

• Members

After hearing my playing the shops around here won't even sell me an amp. Thats the real reason why I had to build my own. :(

Yeah, these parts are for old RADIOS. Thats the ticket. :thu:

Actually it wasn't so much my technique they objected to. I just didn't know any songs by the "cool" bands.

• Members
Originally posted by RupertB

After hearing my playing the shops around here won't even sell me an amp. Thats the real reason why I had to build my own.
:(

Yeah, these parts are for old RADIOS. Thats the ticket.
:thu:

Actually it wasn't so much my technique they objected to. I just didn't know any songs by the "cool" bands.

:D

• Members

That's kind of a stupid question. What qualifications other than $$$ do you need?

Do your driving skills justify the car you drive?

Do your {censored}ing skills justify the {censored} you get?

Etc etc etc.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont have to resond to any of those, do I Casey? Im not sure If I could handle the truthful answers!!!

Kage

• Members

That's kind of a stupid question. What qualifications other than $$$ do you need?

Do your driving skills justify the car you drive?

Do your {censored}ing skills justify the {censored} you get?

Etc etc etc.

:(

Originally posted by televisionary

I'm not sure if this is a good argument. It's about as effective as "Why do fat people wear nice clothes? Everything looks like {censored} on them...."

I guess it would make since if some terrible driver was driving a professional NASCAR vehicle around town. But I think that's illegal so it doesn't work either...