NAMM at a glance

Red Ant

• Moderators

Got there at 2pm yesterday.... parking lots all full, luckily i was on my way there to play at the Taylor booth, so Ed DeGenaro (whose band i was gigging with) kindly paid the $28 to park at the Marriott right next to the convention center. Got in and went straing to the THD booth where Carl Verheyen was laying down some SERIOUS guitar, solo... just him, hist old beat-up strat and a THD Flexi amp. That guy has the most insane hybrid picking i've ever seen. There I ran into our own Jimmy James (Oscar Jordan) who ended up hangin with us through the gig. Then it was time for soundcheck and gig. on the way to Soundcheck i passed by Freak Kitchen.. not sure what product they were pimpin, but man were they making some hellacious atonal noise!

Got to soundcheck, checked and then it was time to play. Had a pretty fun gig playing keys with Ed DeGenaro's trio at the Taylor booth - Eddie played a Taylor T5 through his pedalboard into a THD Flexi 50 with matching 4x12 cab. Never have you heard an "acoustic" guitar sound so mean and raunchy! Great turnout and response at the gig - fun! :)

Saw some forumites at the gig - namely Bob Savage and Steve Henning (sh5150)... didnt get to talk to them though, as they left before we got offstage.

Went wandering around after the gig and ran into more people - literally ran smack into Steph Carpenter from the Deftones, who is an old aquaintance of mine - it was cool to catch up with him, apparently the new Deftones record is almost done. Then went over to the Fuchs booth where I saw Scott Lerner demoing the Fuchs Triple Overdrive over one of my old backing tracks ;) Also saw Gainfreak from the amp forum. Both Scott and Ralphie (gainfreak) are AMAZING guitarists, though very different - Scott has the fusion/jazz/blues thing DOWN, and Ralphie is just shredalicious - techique AND feel for days! Then I wandered over to see our own Jim Soloway, who was unveiling a whole mess of new Swans, including the new solidbodies. Didnt have much time to play one, but they looked and sounded gorgeous. Ran into more forumites, namely my buddy Kage (Steel Kage) and Tweed, who Kage was hanging with. Was great to catch up with them, but sadly it was time to leave - the show was closing in 20 min and i had places to get to.

So there it is, Ant's "Lightning Raid" on NAMM.

:D

• Moderators

Originally posted by Digital Jams

Very cool Anton, you guys I assume have some tape of the gig?? Amazing is a good adjective for Ralph, I am lucky to see him play often and he is just so smooth.

Supposedly Eddie is going to get a DVD of the gig in the next few weeks. They did have a pro guy shooting the gig, so we'll see. As for Ralphie.... whew, that boy is a BURNER!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Red Ant

Supposedly Eddie is going to get a DVD of the gig in the next few weeks. They did have a pro guy shooting the gig, so we'll see. As for Ralphie.... whew, that boy is a BURNER!!!!!

Alright, I will have to pester Ed for that one. After bad days I have about 4-5 clips of Ed with his T5, he is one diverse player for sure.

• Members

I was at NAMM yesterday as well. I only stayed a few hours. Parking sucked, I ended up parking on a street in a neighborhood south of the convention center. Probably walked what felt like a mile each way. First time I've been to the show but I've been wanting to go for years. It can be pretty overwhelming for a newb. I expected to take a ton of pics but I didn't, there's so much stuff to see. I need a faster cam, too, you set up to take a pic and then somebody walks in front of you.

I met, Kage, nice guy. He was hanging around the Diezel booth. Lots of nice-looking chix around, too:) Would have liked to have met some of the other HC crowd, but maybe next year; I didn't even think I was going this year. I'm definitely going again next year. I didn't try much. I tried the Peavey Penta which I didn't like at all. The Peavey guitar that I tried, not sure which one (looked like a PRS copy) was nice. Carvin had a cool booth with guitars on the wall and amps with cords just below them so you could pull an axe off the wall and plug in right there.

I liked the stacks of amps some booths had like VHT and Marshall. Pretty menacing, but heaven forbid there was an earthquake! The soundproof booths some vendors had were cool as well. Saw George Lynch, Nikki Sixx, Joe Satriani, Scott Ian, CC Deville; wasn't going to wait in a huge line to get an autograph, though. I couldn't stay as long as I would have liked but next year I'll be more prepared. If anyone has the chance to go, it's definitely a must see. Total candy store and more for musicians and gear junkies.

• Members

Originally posted by Red Ant

Saw some forumites at the gig - namely Bob Savage and Steve Henning (sh5150)... didnt get to talk to them though, as they left before we got offstage.

Yeah, we ended up heading home after the gig. I thought I was going to die, and figured I ought to be home to make it convenient for the coroner. Well, it was either that or I was going to sleep behind the THD booth.

• Members

Anton!!

I can't tell you how good it was to see you at NAMM! I wasn't sure if you were going to be at this years NAMM and I'm glad that you ran into me!!

Thank's so much for the kind words about my playing bro. You know for a fact how much I love the way you play so it I shouldn't have to mention it...... But I will!! You OWN!!!

I had a blast listening to you play and it was so good to see you again!
I also agree that Scott L is the shiznitt!!! I love listening to him as well!!

Like I said to you on the phone brother, If you are ever in the NY area, you have family to stay with

Ralph

Archived