The VERY best OD-pedal, what's Your fave?

2B

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I like to do is use my SCOD set to the more extreme side of things, and set my Sagrado Poblano Picoso at around 75%-80%. Then I run the Sagrado into the SCOD. The boost on it's own hardly gets turned off, and the boost into the SCOD gets more of a gnarly crunch than just the SCOD on its own.

• Members

Here are the ones I have used:

Boss SD-1
Maxon OD-808
Maxon OD-9
80's Ibanez TS-9
Vox Valvetone
Alfonso Mosferatu Mini
Boss Blues Driver

For a light overdrive the Vox Valvetone was great, it could get a little thin, but it had that slight breakup sound down.

Overall the Maxon Od-9 is my favorite.

For soloing the Mosferatu Mini is great, it has wonderful rich and singing sustain.

I am thinking about picking up an MI audio Blue boy Pro and potentially getting rid of my Maxon OD-808. The maxon OD-808 is great, but I like the OD-9 better.

• Members

I'm using a Homebrew power screamer with the fat boost option and so far that is my favorite. I've owned the sd-1, the maxon od9, the keeley moded ts9 and so far the power screamer just sounds the best and has the most boost. Very clear sound with bite and depth.

• Members

i'm using a maxon 808 right now but my stock sd-1 is right there with it. the sd-1 has more gain, but the 808 was a little more transparent. i've used the sd-1 on at least 10 different amps over the years, and they all liked it. if you can get a little more than an ac/dc ish crunch from an amp the sd-1 will get you the rest of the way for metal.

• Members

Originally posted by The Funk

vox valvetone.

I have two, but both need replacement switches. thats the only weakness of this pedal in my opinion. some people do have a problem with its lack of clean boost power, but thats not an issue for me.

Yeah, the switch is noisy, I'm going to replace mine too.

• Members

Hi.
Thanks a lot for all the cool replies.
I guess I've missed out some nice tones the last years;), just plugging straight into an amp with no fx's (OD's).
There seems to be a lot of great units out there which I have NOT tried out.
The problem now is....where to start. :D

• Members
Originally posted by vlad

Tried:

Crispy Creme

Maxon OD808

Sparkle Drive

ZVex SHO

Keeley SD-1

Stock SD-1

1981 DOD 250

Keep going back to the SD-1

Yep. Ive tried numerous OD's as well, including the Crispy Cream (which I think rules but I dont own one) and I keep going back to good ol' SD-1.

Why mess with a good thing? ;)

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

Yep. Ive tried numerous OD's as well, including the Crispy Cream (which I think rules but I dont own one) and I keep going back to good ol' SD-1.

Why mess with a good thing?
;)

I'll probably end up trying another 1000000 pedals before realizing that the SD-1 is it... :D

• Members
Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

Bro Torbjorn!!! I liked the OCD alot but for the money, get yourself an MI Audio Blues Pro, It was just like the OCD IMO and If Im correct in knowing what kinds of tones you like and prefer, I think that youll love it!!!

Kage

Hi bro Kage!
Hope You're doing fine.
Thanks, I'll try out the MI. Seems like SteveVHT also care for the MI-range.:D:thu:

• Members

The new Fulltone Fulldrive 2 sounds awesome into the clean channel of the DSL series amps. Like a lot of guys here, I've messed with a ton of dirt boxes and just keep coming back to the FD2. But, I'd like to try the OCD sometime.

For exactly the reasons you just described (i.e. fast setup into somebody else's backline at festivals, etc), I designed my pedalboard so that it can be used into any single amp I might encounter and still give me all the tones I need. I can also run into any two-amp, A/B type situations, such as with the Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R two-channel input structure or when running the Flexi/Bad Cat or Flexi/Accomplice rigs.
All_Gear_Crop.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by FLYING V 83

For overdrive that's not too over the top:

POWERSCREAMER.jpg

For heavy-metal type stuff:

TubeZone.jpg

I have the Tube Zone (pictured on the bottom) and although it's a great pedal, in a band context, it sort of disappears in the mix. For my money, the FD2 still blows it away.

Archived