Cheapest way to get that "Brown Sound"?

sahlomonic

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by bmf5150

if you cant afford a plexi then check out the crate gfx or crate glx amps.go to jfrocks website and listen to his VH clips.best solid state amp i have ver heard for the VH sound!i like it better than the modellers!

Actually, I bought one! I checked out his site and was blown away. A buddy of mine has a gfx212 that he hasn't played in a couple years, so I bought from him. Best solid state "Brown Sound" I've ever heard! I've owned several modeling amps (POD, Behringer Vampire, J-Station, etc), and they don't even come close.

• Members
Originally posted by sahlomonic

I see that there are a plethora of amps that will get a nice and thick "Brown Sound", but what I don't know is what is the cheapest route? New Mojave Peacemaker? Used Plexi? 5150? Maybe even a solid state amp (digital or analog circuits)? Basically, how to get the brown sound on a budget??

A Peavey Triumph will get you very close for under $200 and an Ultra for maybe 2x that. Add a little swirly-swirly and arena reverb/delay and you'll be pretty close if you dial in right.

• Members
Originally posted by sahlomonic

Actually, I bought one! I checked out his site and was blown away. A buddy of mine has a gfx212 that he hasn't played in a couple years, so I bought from him. Best solid state "Brown Sound" I've ever heard! I've owned several modeling amps (POD, Behringer Vampire, J-Station, etc), and they don't even come close.

i agree,if everyone who thinks those line 6 brown sound is good should hear these crates.best brownsound for the money!if you have the money get what EVH used a 12 series plexi.cant afford the real ones then get the metroamp kit!

• Members

Sure, the closest you can get is by using the correct gear, but there are more than a few ways of getting that recipe... :D

Of course, I am no EVH expert, and certainly can't play like him to save my life, but a friend of mine is a huge fan, and he can get very close with a strat on ANY amp. Because he has the chops. Even in a solid state cheap peavey junk :eek:

If we are speaking strictly on the budget, a POD isn't a bad idea. I have heard a few clips that get close enough for most people.

Of course we are all tube purists here. VHocolic gets astoundingly close with a 5150 using a cab with greenbacks.

A Mojave Peacemaker or a Roccaforte HG 100 will get you VERY close if used right. But that's not on the budget anymore. Those amps are a huge investment. And that is not even mentioning a true Marshall plexi.

Metro amps would be a good option, too.

just my two cents.

• Members

Originally posted by bmf5150

if you cant afford a plexi then check out the crate gfx or crate glx amps.go to jfrocks website and listen to his VH clips.best solid state amp i have ver heard for the VH sound!i like it better than the modellers!

How do u know its the Crate gfx?

He does have a nice BIG sound though..

• Members

Sure, the closest you can get is by using the correct gear, but there are more than a few ways of getting that recipe... :D

Of course, I am no EVH expert, and certainly can't play like him to save my life, but a friend of mine is a huge fan, and he can get very close with a strat on ANY amp. Because he has the chops. Even in a solid state cheap peavey junk :eek:

If we are speaking strictly on the budget, a POD isn't a bad idea. I have heard a few clips that get close enough for most people.

Of course we are all tube purists here. VHocolic gets astoundingly close with a 5150 using a cab with greenbacks.

A Mojave Peacemaker or a Roccaforte HG 100 will get you VERY close if used right. But that's not on the budget anymore. Those amps are a huge investment. And that is not even mentioning a true Marshall plexi.

just my two cents.

• Members
Originally posted by Tatosh

Sure, the closest you can get is by using the correct gear, but there are more than a few ways of getting that recipe...
:D

Of course, I am no EVH expert, and certainly can't play like him to save my life, but a friend of mine is a huge fan, and he can get very close with a strat on ANY amp. Because he has the chops. Even in a solid state cheap peavey junk
:eek:

just my two cents.

i agree,there is alot of ways to get his sound and alot of good gear to do it with.

• Members

Originally posted by ***1776***

How do u know its the Crate gfx?

He does have a nice BIG sound though..

He explains on his forum what settings to use exactly for the GFX-212. Not only that, the guitar I use is similar in construction (woods and pickups) to his and when I'm playing along to his videos, the tone and feel of the amps sound the same. He also has the amp miked up right on the speaker grille, not from a little webcam. That makes a difference. For rhythm work, the Crate gets the job done. For lead and solo work, however, not so great IMO. I don't care, I love the sound.

I think that as far as solid state goes, you need to have analog circuitry to have better tone, in most cases. Digital circuitry, i.e. amp modelers, just doesn't (yet anyways) have the nice fat raw gritty sound. Just my opinion.

And to who said his buddy sounds like EVH with a strat and any amp; I believe it. As said on this forum countless times:

"Tone is in your fingers." Gear can only get you so far; your fingers is what gets you there.

Archived