Scary stuff, new internet usage fees

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Scary stuff indead... subscription plans for the internet dictating which sites you can go to, how often, and how many e-mails you can send? Hmmm...

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060213/chester

"Under the plans they are considering, all of us--from content providers to individual users--would pay more to surf online, stream videos or even send e-mail. Industry planners are mulling new subscription plans that would further limit the online experience, establishing "platinum," "gold" and "silver" levels of Internet access that would set limits on the number of downloads, media streams or even e-mail messages that could be sent or received."

great, another monthly fee... :rolleyes:

• Members

seriously... this combined with the anti lyric and tab movement going on is really starting to feel opressive and crazy...

I knew the government wasn't gonna take thier losses in postal tax sitting down... not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or nothin, I just knew something like this was gonna happen

• Members

so lets get everyone we can together, sign a petition, and voice our opinion on the matter...

if enough of those big-wigs see that well be pissed off by this and not vote them back in office because of it, theyll probably think better of it :thu:

then again, they might not...so well just use our Rights given by the Constitution to disband the current government and reinstate one that would better suit the needs of us citizens. :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by Shask

The Internet would probably be like 80% gone, because people wouldnt put up their own sites on policies like that.

exactly...it would be a cluster{censored}. im all for the government doing things it needs to do...getting that involved with the internet is something it doesnt need to do...

probably thinking "hey, if we make people pay for all this stuff, well have more paper trails to lead us to terrorists by golly!" :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by Shask

I guess Im confused by the article, it keeps saying using their pipes for free....

:confused:

Last time I checked, I pay every month for Internet. And its not exactly cheap either.

i didnt think we were using anything free...

all the lines used in the internet are owned by companies, which get paid by ISP companies to use them, who in turn charge us to use their servers, routers, and switches to navigate on the lines the ISP paid to use...

and many companies make lots of money through advertising on various sites (such as Harmony Central).

like i said...more fees = more trails to terrorists. conspiracy theory? maybe. could it be true? what say you? :)

• Members

let them do it..and more outside companies in other countries will open up business and have there phone number ( access) here in the usa...
bypassing this kind of thing...you can get hosting in any country you want now and that wont change..( I have web sites that are hosted in Canada and mexico)..so what you will see will be accsess phone numbers here in the usa that will be less then what the locals can charge...

its kinda of like everybody will be like AOL is now...AOL is just a layer on top of the net ..to get to the net..( its a total joke)..

• Members

I dont think anything is going to happen to the internet that people dont want to happen to the internet.

HaXers know about this and I am sure they wont allow it, infact, it may be the biggest greed-induced internet cluster{censored} of all time, if they even try it billions will be lost because of the haccking, and protests.

• Members

One step closer to the "Beast Grid"

A world tax on all electronic transactions is coming too...

Watch the Middle East closely... If a peace deal is struck that allows a Jewish temple to be built in Jerusalem... then you're living in the biblical END TIMES predicted in Revelations.

From what I understand, the US national ID database is going to be housed at the Former Nevada test site.. My best friend of over 20 years was a military contractor that worked there... he was so freaked out by what he learned... that he has now given up his high paying job and is going to be a pilot flying missionaries to 3rd world countries... he became a born again Christian after seeing portions of the emerging police state with his own eyes... don't believe it?... According to him, the coming US National ID card is likely the next to last step before the biblical "Mark of the Beast"

don't believe me?....not my problem.. but don't say I didn't warn ya

• Members
Originally posted by dinrodef

Watch the Middle East closely... If a peace deal is struck that allows a Jewish temple to be built in Jerusalem... then you're living in the biblical END TIMES predicted in Revelations.

From what I understand, the US national ID database is going to be housed at the Former Nevada test site.. My best friend of over 20 years was a military contractor that worked there... he was so freaked out by what he learned... that he has now given up his high paying job and is going to be a pilot flying missionaries to 3rd world countries... he became a born again Christian after seeing portions of the emerging police state with his own eyes... don't believe it?... According to him, the coming US National ID card is likely the next to last step before the biblical "Mark of the Beast"

LOL.:wave:

• Members

You understand that you've lit the fuse for a Christian-bashing explosive in this thread that will mark a long and dreadful demise into a flame war, yes? ;)

• Members
Originally posted by hal9000

You understand that you've lit the fuse for a Christian-bashing explosive in this thread that will mark a long and dreadful demise into a flame war, yes?
;)

Well... actually, he has a point IMO. In other words, if what he said never comes to pass, then that'll be further proof against what he said, but if that unimaginable thing occurs, it shouldn't just be written off but rather pondered over. At least IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

let them do it..and more outside companies in other countries will open up business and have there phone number ( access) here in the usa...

bypassing this kind of thing...you can get hosting in any country you want now and that wont change..( I have web sites that are hosted in Canada and mexico)..so what you will see will be accsess phone numbers here in the usa that will be less then what the locals can charge...

Wait a minute. This is not about phone numbers. It's not particularly about hosting either. This is about traffic. Big companies own the big pipes. Everybody else, all others, beit small or big companies and their customers pay for transit. To dial in, somebody upstream has to have transit and for hosting companies it's the same thing. It's not like you're tied together by a bunch of telephone lines anymore. The internet is an infrastructure, controlled by a very rich few. If I got this right, what they are talking about here is traffic shaping, rate limiting, quality of service, content scanning and/or inspection, blocking etc. etc. at the highest level. That creates a very powerful position. And that will, of course, if they continue to have their way, have consequences for all of us.

If you own the infrastructure you can easily shut off world regions. It's like the big oil and gas pipes. Think about it.

• Members

Operators are trying to make more money with the internet, it's that simple. Right now everybody is on best effort, no classification on the traffic type is done but that's coming.
Eventually, the operators will ask you to pay if you want to have priority over "best effort" (Platinum, gold, silver).

This could be good for business and bad for users...Potentially...If it ever see the light of day....don't hold your breath :)

• Members

Wow, you took this thread in a completely different direction. :freak:

A peace deal in the middle east,...hmmm,...Hamas just won the election in Palestine. I don't see a peace deal happening anytime soon, so the Jews will have to wait to build their temple.

And where in the bible does it say that the US National ID card is the next to last step before the biblical "Mark of the Beast"? Me thinks you may be extrapilating a bit too much.

Archived