Tubeworks preamp - how is it?

fishfartz

• Members

you know, the black one with yellow lettering, looks like a rack (kind of)

at a local music store they had one, they guy assembled it into an amp.

he put it in one of those empty heads that have the "steel fire" grill thats getting to be so common now days. the thing is he also has a laney 50 watt poweramp in the back of that thing. he has the tubeworks running into the return loop of the laney poweramp. i asked and he said the laneys preamp fried, so he threw it all together.

i didnt play it but as I was leaving he said he'd take $200 for the head. i figure its at least worth firing up to see how it sounds next visit, but for now just curious about opinions.

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

So $200 for the head and the Tubeworks pre? That's a pretty good deal... and you might be able to get that Laney fixed too.

actually he basically took the powersection only out of the Laney and put it in the back of this head. its one of those empty heads you can customize and put whatever you want in it, with the steel-fire hanging down in the front.

he basically put the Tubeworks preamp in the front and looks like a typical head - except it has a tubewroks faceplate. the laney poweramp is nice and neat inside, and it looks like a normal head but with custom innards.

he wants $200 for that.

so it sounds OK?

how specifically does the preamp sound? Im not sure about the model laney amp the powersection is from - just that its a 50 watter.

• Members

I would definitely see how it plays. If it sounds good to you then $200 is a good price for it. I'd be interested to see pics of it too.

Those preamps sound very good. Pretty versatile if I remember correctly. Better distortions then cleans, but still very usable.

Matt

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

you know, the black one with yellow lettering, looks like a rack (kind of)

at a local music store they had one, they guy assembled it into an amp.

he put it in one of those empty heads that have the "steel fire" grill thats getting to be so common now days. the thing is he also has a laney 50 watt poweramp in the back of that thing. he has the tubeworks running into the return loop of the laney poweramp. i asked and he said the laneys preamp fried, so he threw it all together.

i didnt play it but as I was leaving he said he'd take $200 for the head. i figure its at least worth firing up to see how it sounds next visit, but for now just curious about opinions.

I use a Tubeworks Mosvalve 962 as a power with a ADA MP Preamp and the comination is tear your face off killer distortion! :thu:

I owned a Mesa Boogie 20/20 (wonderfull lil power amp) but that was over $600 (without replacing tubes) and this is very very close for alot le$$ money!

Really good power amps IMO..

• Members

Back in the early ninties or so i used to gig that preamp along with a Mosvalve power amp. It sounded more organic and "real" than other preamps around at the time. It was the "rack era" and like most i succumbed!

I eventually sold it and to this day the guy uses the Mosvalve poweramp because it is warm like a valve power amp.

It's worth at least trying out the preamp...they are well made and mine was totally reliable and is still being gigged by someone else fifteen years later!:cool:

Archived