having second thoughts about my splawn compatition (that isnt even here yet!!)

freakk guitarist

• Members

i think i want a quick rod!! ahh. bassicly its 450 bucks for an extra 50 watts, 3rd gear and clean channel. is it worth it? i own a studio so a more versitile amp would be best. how is the clean channel on the quickrod? and is the 3rd gear worth it? stock JCM800 gain, pplus a boost sometime is plenty of gain for me. i play hardcore, metal, death metal, and pop/rock emo, indie rock, plus TONS of bands are gonna be using this in the studio. should i change my order to a quickrod? if i even can.

Ian

• Members

i think i mgonna ask him to change my order to a quickrod. but i dunno, so indecided... the real toss up is.... i need clean. i was thinking of just running 2 amps live, getting a roland jazz chorus, and or hand my friend build me a clean tube amp. and using my 2x12 avatar with CL80s for my dedicated clean setup, and the compatition with my framus cab for all the dirty.

its like, i almost dont care, so long as im getting a splawn, i just dont want to make decisions anymore damnit!

• Members

Honestly if your only using it in a studio setting theres a million other cheaper things you could use for a clean channel that will sound fine, or even direct. I don't use 3rd gear that much so if I were in your shoes and had already ordered I'd be fine with this amp. I own 2 Quick Rods and my old one doesn't have 3rd gear and I've been gigging with it for over a year. Its sounds fantastic.

• Members

I'm with DirtyCraig. I have an older QR without 3rd gear...I'm convinced it would be overkill for me because I hang out on 1st gear all the time...love the bite and vibe it throws off. 1st gear is pretty plexi-ish...hit OD2 and you're in modded plexi land. 2nd gear will throw more bass with less bite, Shredder75 told me that 3rd gear has the bass of 2nd gear, with the bite of 1st gear. That description alone made me conclude I don't need 3rd gear for my personal taste...I don't like all the bass that is inherent in 2nd gear.

• Members

I'm obviously the dark horse in splawn land as I pretty much use third gear exclusively...lol....

there's a few things that make the clean channel VERY useable...

depending on guitars, pickups, and cabs of course....I found turning the mids all the way down makes it sound very nice..I run the bass high and the treble a little lower..

also, it's very sensitive to pickign dynamics..pick softly and it'll sound nice and full...slam the strings and it'll break up....if you wanna be able to slam on the strings then roll off the guitar's volume...

my new settings involve third gear with the gain at around 11:00...it kills at shows that way =D

THIRD GEAR 4 LIFE BITCHES!!!

lmao

• Members

Originally posted by dropthisd

Please don't cry. Say what you want to say, as long as its true. After all, you do generate quite a bit of interest, about Splawn amps.

~grabs a kleenex, subsequently blows nose~

heheh...

I'm just bein' a drama queen =D while I get fired up, it's not stoppin' me.....hey, no different than other amp owners right? someone asks a questions about a peavy XXX or JSX, those owners chime in, right? same with mesa mark IV's, rectos, marshalls, etc, etc..you get my point =)

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

~grabs a kleenex, subsequently blows nose~

heheh...

I'm just bein' a drama queen =D while I get fired up, it's not stoppin' me.....hey, no different than other amp owners right? someone asks a questions about a peavy XXX or JSX, those owners chime in, right? same with mesa mark IV's, rectos, marshalls, etc, etc..you get my point =)

haha.........antibacterial or aloe with vitiman E? :D

There's been a boatlaod of interest, for all things Splawn. I can't think of a more deserving person. So you have that next QR clip done?

• Members

Originally posted by zao

I gotta get a another footswitch because mine is broke, does od 2 have more bass and lows than od1. I like the amp but I want more lows I'm running the bass at 3 o'clock on od1.

OD2 has more of everything. (That can be good or bad.)

This is actually a good example of people having different tastes in tone...I'm on the other end of the spectrum...I feel that the amp tends to throw too much bass unless it's on 1st gear. The cabs/guitars/pickups/etc., we use all have a big affect on what we hear.

Archived