What type of band dominates your state

DonaldDemon

• Members

What I mean is that here in NJ there are 2 types of band on almost every bill. Hardcore/Metal or Emo/Screamers. I am just wondering if it is a Jersey thing or is it the same in most of the states in the U.S.

My band is not hardcore/emo/screamo/metal so we just never fit in anywhere and I don't think most younger audiences are open to it. We are certainly not a jam hippy band or a lame alterntaive band and we do play heavy songs but not the typical chugga chugga double bass stuff. I guess we sort of have a classic rock 70's vibe so old dudes sometimes dig it but i don't know about the younger ones.

The reason I ask is because this weekend we are playing a Battle of the Bands for a spot on the Bamboozle Tour (mostly emo) and I wonder why my bassist got us this gig. We basically have no chance since we are not whining about our girlfriends kicking our ass for wearing their pants and stealing their hairstyle.

So are all atates like that? I know NJ has a pretty popular hardcore scene and anything not Uber-heavy is seen as lame most of the time.

• Members

Des Moines really has about every type of music I can think of around here which is really cool. There are an abundance of the hardcoremetal bands and that is a big chunk but there are also bands like mine that sound nothing like that and a bunch of others doing their own thing. For such a small community Des Moines has a very strong music scene imho of course.

• Members

Originally posted by DonaldDemon

What I mean is that here in NJ there are 2 types of band on almost every bill. Hardcore/Metal or Emo/Screamers. I am just wondering if it is a Jersey thing or is it the same in most of the states in the U.S.

My band is not hardcore/emo/screamo/metal so we just never fit in anywhere and I don't think most younger audiences are open to it. We are certainly not a jam hippy band or a lame alterntaive band and we do play heavy songs but not the typical chugga chugga double bass stuff. I guess we sort of have a classic rock 70's vibe so old dudes sometimes dig it but i don't know about the younger ones.

The reason I ask is because this weekend we are playing a Battle of the Bands for a spot on the Bamboozle Tour (mostly emo) and I wonder why my bassist got us this gig. We basically have no chance since we are not whining about our girlfriends kicking our ass for wearing their pants and stealing their hairstyle.

So are all atates like that? I know NJ has a pretty popular hardcore scene and anything not Uber-heavy is seen as lame most of the time.

I don't think I've ever seen an original band by me...LOL....

by the way...you have MAIL! and I might have a proposition for ya (no, nothing dirty..lol)

get back to me man

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

by the way...you have MAIL! and I might have a proposition for ya (no, nothing dirty..lol)

get back to me man

Did you pm me here or on the Splawn site? U know i have a girlfriend man, I'm not interested;)

• Members

Did you pm me here or on the Splawn site? U know i have a girlfriend man, I'm not interested;)

damn you...lol...

I emailed ya, I pm'ed you over on splawn as well...same basic message.....the proposition's not in either of those messages though..I just thought of it...lol

• Members

Indianapolis has no music scene...

unless you count country bars....we have clubs that have acts that come thru town..( you can get the gamut.)..Same club can have Willie Nelson
one week and then BLS next week..

all the decent places to play have dried up..one the best is closing..
( the Patio )..we have Byrdies and the Vouge..and this new place the
Music Mill..( i haven't checked that one out yet.).its 1/2 a restaurant..

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

Des Moines really has about every type of music I can think of around here which is really cool. There are an abundance of the hardcoremetal bands and that is a big chunk but there are also bands like mine that sound nothing like that and a bunch of others doing their own thing. For such a small community Des Moines has a very strong music scene imho of course.

I figure it has to do with the wise guy Jersey attitude. Too many tough guys who need to outdo each other with heaviness. I blame the Sopranos! :D

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

get back to me man

Yeah in NJ it's cover band Hell. There's a million of them. But you guys are down there in SOuth Jersey but it's really not soo different. Lots of Philly cover bands come up to North NJ to play. A lot of these guys are making a living out of it. I could have made enough to not work in my last band, that is if my band could manage our finances.

A word of caution to anyone thinking about doing covers who still wants to make original music. PLaying covers 3 or 4 night s a week can suck the life out of you. I often never touched my guitar unless i was playing out so i stopped practing. And how many cover bands went on to do anything. Some cover bands play 80% covers and 20% originals but it seems to never work. Just think about all that waysted time playing covers when you could have spent it on songwriting.

I think Fuel and Disturbed are 2 cover bands that eventually had success playing originals.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

Indianapolis has no music scene...

unless you count country bars....we have clubs that have acts that come thru town..( you can get the gamut.)..Same club can have Willie Nelson

one week and then BLS next week..

all the decent places to play have dried up..one the best is closing..

( the Patio )..we have Byrdies and the Vouge..and this new place the

Music Mill..( i haven't checked that one out yet.).its 1/2 a restaurant..

As much as there is a scence here it is being over run by cover bands. CBGB's is gone and a few other important ones. People are too over-entertained now to come out and see original bands. They would rather play x-box all night.

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

Yeah in NJ it's cover band Hell. There's a million of them. But you guys are down there in SOuth Jersey but it's really not soo different. Lots of Philly cover bands come up to North NJ to play. A lot of these guys are making a living out of it. I could have made enough to not work in my last band, that is if my band could manage our finances.

A word of caution to anyone thinking about doing covers who still wants to make original music. PLaying covers 3 or 4 night s a week can suck the life out of you. I often never touched my guitar unless i was playing out so i stopped practing. And how many cover bands went on to do anything. Some cover bands play 80% covers and 20% originals but it seems to never work. Just think about all that waysted time playing covers when you could have spent it on songwriting.

I think Fuel and Disturbed are 2 cover bands that eventually had success playing originals.

heheh...you're right.,.there are alotta cover bands in my area...we've been doin' pretty well so far lately though..been gettin' asked back repeatedly at a few different places...wasn't easy gettin' to tha tpoint though

• Members

As much as there is a scence here it is being over run by cover bands. CBGB's is gone and a few other important ones. People are too over-entertained now to come out and see original bands. They would rather play x-box all night.

HEY! xbox rules!

lol

• Members

I'm in Montreal.....i doubt there is anything good around here. I think the latest thing from here is the Arcade Fire.
As you can see..i don't follow the local scene or the Canadian scene for that matter :rolleyes:

The only canadian band i listen to is Alexisonfire. They do what they do well and they are a bunch of nice guys.

• Members

in indianapolis, lots of metal (slayer esque type stuff) and hardcore (not metalcore). more traditional hardcore, and then more progressive stuff closer to the locust or late period fodus. also we have a weird almalgamation of whiskey drinking hardcore bands, its like ac/dc on a rampaging speed fueled murdering spree in a completely awesome way.

and we have a couple of pretty kick ass doom bands too.

• Members

we've got a pretty diverse original music scene around here, it kinda varies from town to town as far as what kinda bands are popular, and play more often

i follow the hardcore/metal scene pretty closely but honestly don't really stay tuned in to what else is going on, except for occasional jazz fests and things like that

Archived