Roland Cube or Peavey ValveKing?

Uze Soap

• Members

I need a new, smallish guitar amp. I was originally gonna go with the Peavey ValveKing 112, but it's out of stock right now at AMS and I don't wanna wait. So I was considering the Roland Cube 60. I want a versatile sound, but mainly a really great tone for the distortion. Of course I want a good clean sound but I have a real problem with getting the right distortion sounds. I need something that isn't muddy and that won't lose too much tone when turned down lower. Well, that's not really an issue but I just need something with a good classic and heavy tone. Which one? Or maybe a different one?

• Members

have you tried a cube 60 yet? i usually use an sd-1 as a solo boost with mine. the reason i'm asking is becasue it's kinda like comparing apples to oranges.
the cube is a modeler and you loose something when you use them.. imho. i'm using mine in a cover band that changes musical styles so i need the versatility the cube gives me. if i were only looking to cover two tones i'd probably be looking for something else. just my .02
i forgot to mention that the cube actually sounds pretty darn good imho.

• Members

I haven't been able to try either, which is why I'm asking. I suppose I could get a pedal but I've always liked amp distortion better. I don't know, what about the tubes, how much of a difference will that make? The Roland is sounding good right now...

• Members

the cube 60's default clean channel is the roland jc 120. it's about as neutrally clean as clean can get. one of the knocks on the cube is that you can't set up the black face.. ac 30.. or tweed models as your clean channel. it will only go to the 120 as the default clean. that means that you can't go from a recto model to a twin for clean.. you'll always go back to the jc clean channel.
i like to boost the clean models with an sd-1 for soloing. it takes pedals pretty well. the other effects seem to get lost in a mix.. except for reverb and delay. just my opinion.

• Members

I would get the ValveKing and use a OD pedal to clean boost it. That way you would get a higher gain tone, but all your distortion would be coming from the amp itself. You would have the option of four different tones with that set up.

1) Clean
2) Clean + boost
3) high gain
4) high gain + boost

That would make for a pretty diverse set up.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by VanR

I don't know how much gain you guys need, but my Valveking has more gain than I could ever use. I usually run the gain on about 6.

Ditto. I never have the gain above noon.

I'd go with the VK over the Cube, no question.

• Members

I am new to tubes. Just bought a Traynor blue50. Compared to my old Peavey transtube it kicks all kinds of ass.

My Peavey raptor plus does not sound as good as my ESP EC-1000 w/ SD JB/59 pickups. The ESP stays clear even with high gain, but the raptor muds up into a mess. I used to like the raptor and my transtube, but now my ears don't tolerate them as well anymore.

My guitar appetite evolution:

balony >> hamburger >> sirloin >> filet mignon!!!!!!@

By the way, I like the valveking too :)

• Members

I have a Valveking
Treb 7.5
Mid 4
Low 7.5
Gain 4
Boost on
Then I clean boost with Bad Monkey-
Vol 10
Low 6
High 8
Gain 0

Sounds great, very similar to my old 5150 combo. The key is to keep the amps gain down, and push it with a boost so it doesnt sound so muddy and muffled.

• Members

I think the VK is plenty high-gain, too. That said, I do enjoy boosting it with a Bad Monkey (clean boost, like mentioned above), but I usually turn the gain way down (like around 3) before doing that.

I'm actually thinking about swapping out my preamp tubes (at least one of them) for a 12AT7. Somebody on here suggested that for making more of the gain knob useful (i.e. slower ramping up of gain).

Archived