Changing the tone of your amp by changing caps in yout tone circuit.

The Boogie Man

• Members

With all the talk about changing tubes or speakers to find/get a tone, anyone do a cap replacement in their amp?

Please share with me and others what caps you replaced in what amps and the values. And results.

I did one on my Reverend Hellhound, replacing the 50 pf in C22 which was cut out by the original owner, as recommended by the company for more midrange. I wanted to hear what it sounded like stock, brighter and the tone controls were more active, nice. Now I'm thinking about installing a 3 way bright switch using a 25 pf/50pf/open and changing the Mid and Bass caps. I've done a few Fenders in the past but this was the most dramatic tone change mod I've done in several years doing just one thing.

This is a pretty simple thing to do if you know anything about tone circuts.

• Members

Originally posted by The Boogie Man

With all the talk about changing tubes or speakers to find/get a tone, anyone do a cap replacement in their amp?

Please share with me and others what caps you replaced in what amps and the values. And results.

I did one on my Reverend Hellhound, replacing the 50 pf in C22 which was cut out by the original owner, as recommended by the company for more midrange. I wanted to hear what it sounded like stock, brighter and the tone controls were more active, nice. Now I'm thinking about installing a 3 way bright switch using a 25 pf/50pf/open and changing the Mid and Bass caps. I've done a few Fenders in the past but this was the most dramatic tone change mod I've done in several years doing just one thing.

now is this just a simple tone pot change? no rewiring to compensate or anything? and do you think this probably goes for any amp? (i dont see why it couldnt) cause if they use cheaper pots and take shortcuts, it should be pretty easy just to snip and add and make it sound better...

i guess to keep the production costs down they'd have to hold off on the higer quality components. so if you add your own high quialty components, do you think it would allow the true amp's tone to shine?

• Members

Originally posted by CptnMayonaise

now is this just a simple tone pot change? no rewiring to compensate or anything? and do you think this probably goes for any amp? (i dont see why it couldnt) cause if they use cheaper pots and take shortcuts, it should be pretty easy just to snip and add and make it sound better...

i guess to keep the production costs down they'd have to hold off on the higer quality components. so if you add your own high quialty components, do you think it would allow the true amp's tone to shine?

No changing the pot is different but on some amps be an improvement, not always. For example: Changing from a 25k pot to a 50K in some circuits can make for a wider tone responce. Changing a cap or a resistor and cap is a cinch. This Reverend amp is so simple to work on all you need to do is pull the preamp PC board to get to all the parts you want to change. I don't recommend anyone without experience trying this. But fun with caps is cool for those that really want to change their tone.

Archived