Suggestions for EL84?

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

I was wondering on whats the current favorite with respect to new production EL84 tubes? JJ? Russian?

Currently i got TAD EL84STR (Chinese i think) which are i think dying out after playing since May 05 with my amp (Laney LC30II).

Any suggestions for replacements? I was looking into JJs or something. TAD sound like sh1t overdriven (fizzy, undefined and rattly).

Thanks again.

Yannis

PS. Any suggestions for ECC83's will be also wellcome.

Laney told me to replace valves in order to get rid of my sympathetic vibration issues as well as crackling and popping and power/volume fades.

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

I've always liked the JJ EL84's best. They seem to hold up better than the rest.

Jerry

Me too. I have 4 brand new ones from JJ that I got from Eurotubes last week. They are rated at 42 ma. I bought them for a Classic 50 that I sold the day that the tubes got here. I will sell them for $30 shipped to your door. Never used other than to see that they worked.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

This mA rating is what bob calls grade #30 etc etc? it means 30mA?

I don't know about that. Bob at Eurotubes could tell you though. I wanted a little more gain out of the Classic 50 so he put these 4 together for me. For the 10 minutes that I had them in there, they sounded great.

• Members

I like EI's. Not the ones with the gold pins, just the plain white labelled variety.
I use 'em in my Laney. They have the nicest sound of any of the current production EL84's, IMO.
I have a small stash of old Mullards, which I use in my Cornford, that give the best sound I have heard form an EL84.

Archived