BRITISH AMP SHOOTOUT!!! Marshall vs Laney

Mr 5150

• Members
Originally posted by Mr 5150

So I'm still really digging this GH50L head. I like the normal channel boosted with TS9 (or without) for rhythms and the Drive setting, no pedal for leads.

So as my 73 SuperTrem was sitting there doing nothing, I thought Id record a clip of the two doing both Rhythm and Lead for people to hear.

For Rhythm, Left ear is mainly Super Trem, right is the GH50L so you can flick the balance and hear them alone (ish) or together.

Leads are striaght up the middle. A little verb and delay, no eq.

So, for anyone who's interested, heres a bit of Neil Youngs "Rockin in the Free World" with me noodling around on top of it.
:D

For lead, first half is Laney, from 3 mins till end is Super Trem.

See what ya think......
:)

Keep On Rockin

I diggg your playing man...you are an awesome player:D !!
Great tone too...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Deltones

How loud where these amps when you pushed the record button? Both amps sound killer. Great clip!

Both were recorded using a Hotplate on -16dB setting with fine tune set about 1 o clock so pretty quiet levels.

• Members
Originally posted by BluesAxe4Christ

:cool:
Cool! Nice chops man! Both amps sound outstanding. Being a Marshall user back when that old metalfaced Trem of your's was made, I'm giving it the edge.

Thanks

CR >

Cheers! Yeah, that amp is one of my favourites. It has a great mojo about it...:p

• Members

Originally posted by bass_n_drums

I love both amps but in terms of versatility and value. The Laney takes the cake for me!

None the less both are great amps! Just that one of them has more prestige and not to mention over priced.

For what you get for your money, the Laney is definately great value.

That Marshall defainately has something about it though. I've played Reissue SLPs and none of them have sounded a patch on that Super Trem....

• Members
Originally posted by Duesentrieb

Then all you freaks have to do is to decide who gets the VH4 as well
:D:D H + E + V - makes me wonder if Peter had EVH in his mind when he had chosen the names

Thanks btw
:)

Maybe we'll go halves on that one ;)

I would kill to hear a sober Eddie rip through a Herbert :D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by iroc

I have a laney gh50l but i have to give the nod on this sample to the marshall i think, it had a bigger fuller sound. I really like both though. Great playing as usual to.

Cheers!

Yeah, the Super Trem always manages to stand out when ever it gets used however I do like the way these two record together. They give a nice crunchy rhythm section.....

• Members
Originally posted by Big Hair

actually Olaf - marks Supertrem used to be mine and I wouldn;t mind my JMP being voiced just like that if possible. I'll see if I can persuade mark to bring it to musikmesse

Which JMP? The Cameron or the scrap metal JMP? :D
I've ordered the board from Metroamp, but that takes a lot of time since George doesn't have a verified Paypal account.

@Mark: Super nice playing and recording. Sounds excellent. The rythm is nicely fat, not sure which one I prefer though . . . the lead is also very nice, although I would prefer it a bit fatter in the lower mids - but thats this kind of amps. I bet that you will easily achieve it with Einstein :D

• Members

Which JMP? The Cameron or the scrap metal JMP?
I've ordered the board from Metroamp, but that takes a lot of time since George doesn't have a verified Paypal account.

The scrap metal JMP is your blank canvas Olaf :) No worries about time, musikmesse isnt for another 6 weeks or so :)

• Members

@Mark: Super nice playing and recording. Sounds excellent. The rythm is nicely fat, not sure which one I prefer though . . . the lead is also very nice, although I would prefer it a bit fatter in the lower mids - but thats this kind of amps. I bet that you will easily achieve it with Einstein

Cheers Olaf,

Yeah, Einstein mixed with either of these would sound superb. Do you know if Peter is going to be alowed to run his amps a little louder at Messe this year? I think he's in hall 4b is it?

Wouldn't mind having a good blast through Einstein just to further fuel my need have one as quick as possible :D

Archived