2006 3 Gear Splawn Quick Rod

BeauNasty

• Members

Hey,

The QuickRod sounded great with the Genz-Benz G/Flex. After talking with Scott Splawn alot- and taking some advice I just decided to order 2 cabs. I am going to put the new cabs to a full test the day after tomorrow. I hope they kick ass. i am almost sure they will.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by cqc6

Hey,

The QuickRod sounded great with the Genz-Benz G/Flex. After talking with Scott Splawn alot- and taking some advice I just decided to order 2 cabs. I am going to put the new cabs to a full test the day after tomorrow. I hope they kick ass. i am almost sure they will.

did you get them with the redcoats?

I've been considering pulling the trigger on a 4x12 splawn slant...so the sound travels better to my ear at a gig

• Members

Nothing can beat the tone of a broken in cab!!! My 76' Orange and 71' Marshall cabs are my seceret weapon. Honestly, they're as important to my sound as the amp itself :eek:. Both of these cabs have 30' watt Greenbacks in them, and they excel at any kind of rock/metal. They're extremly tight for rhyhtm playing and just flat out sing for leads. I run the QR through these 2 cabs in stereo, and it's truly a killer setup.

My 80's Marshall cab has a bit more edge to it than the other 2, but it sounds great as well.

• Members

Hey Shreder-

Yup-

I got them with the Emi's and X Patterned.

I just said go ahead to Scott - they are awesome!!!

I got Black with Black Basket weave and Silver piping. They look killer. Cant wait to try em out. Just need to get them to our warehouse- where the gear is stored.

• Members
Originally posted by cqc6

Hey Shreder-

Yup-

I got them with the Emi's and X Patterned.

I just said go ahead to Scott - they are awesome!!!

I got Black with Black Basket weave and Silver piping. They look killer. Cant wait to try em out. Just need to get them to our warehouse- where the gear is stored.

can't wait to hear your thoughts ;)

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a splawn 4x12 slant cab..not sure if I wanna go with the redcoats again or try something different

• Members

Do you guys want a good laugh??? Everyone is going to throw up...

That "Splawn" cabinet in my rig pic is actually a Line6 cab with custom 80w Celestions. That mother {censored}er gets more bottom end than Craig's Splawn 4x12. Scott sent me an extra Splawn nameplate so I could fake a match.

Now...all you tubeheads go ahead and rip me a new ass, but I'm telling you, that Line6 cabinet sounds {censored}in' awesome. I run it in stereo and wreak havoc on any ears within drinking distance. Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha! I bought a Classic Cases 4x12 road case built for a Marshal 1960 for the cab, and it fit beautifully.

Shreder...what's with the 11:00 gain in 3rd gear? Are you afraid your {censored} is going to drip down your leg if you try the gain @ 3:00??? Gain @ 3:00 is like guitaral masturbation... I use 3rd gear for rhythm and hit the lead boost for solos. The only time I jump out of 3rd gear is for the intro in Hells Bells.

• Members

Originally posted by BeauNasty

That "Splawn" cabinet in my rig pic is actually a Line6 cab with custom 80w Celestions. That mother {censored}er gets more bottom end than Craig's Splawn 4x12. Scott sent me an extra Splawn nameplate so I could fake a match.

Now...all you tubeheads go ahead and rip me a new ass, but I'm telling you, that Line6 cabinet sounds {censored}in' awesome. I run it in stereo and wreak havoc on any ears within drinking distance. Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha! I bought a Classic Cases 4x12 road case built for a Marshal 1960 for the cab, and it fit beautifully.

Shreder...what's with the 11:00 gain in 3rd gear? Are you afraid your {censored} is going to drip down your leg if you try the gain @ 3:00??? Gain @ 3:00 is like guitaral masturbation... I use 3rd gear for rhythm and hit the lead boost for solos. The only time I jump out of 3rd gear is for the intro in Hells Bells.

damn Beau.. i had a quick rod playing through that thing and it's a Line 6 cab?!?! I feel like the guy who enjoyed time with a hooker only to later learn that her adam's apple was big for a reason.

just joking.. it sounded damn good to me

• Members

I think line 6 makes a good cab actually..it's their amps I have issues with..tee hee..but they have their place as well...

my fingers are so fiendishly metal that I don't need any more gain than 11:00...my guess is you gotta make up for those anemic dimarzios you're using

BAHAHahaHaHahaHA....

seriously though..the clip of miracle man I have in my sig was done on third gear, OD 1 with the gain at around 2:00 or so...

I like to mess with first gear at home..but I always end up on third gear at gigs...sounds bigger to me

• Members

Originally posted by Gitfiddler

damn Beau.. i had a quick rod playing through that thing and it's a Line 6 cab?!?! I feel like the guy who enjoyed time with a hooker only to later learn that her adam's apple was big for a reason.

just joking.. it sounded damn good to me

maybe beau also does work on mercedes

BAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAA

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

the clip of miracle man I have in my sig was done on third gear, OD 1 with the gain at around 2:00

I never use the overdrive on my Quickrod. So, your 2:00 with overdrive might actually have hairier balls than my 3:00 without it. I recant any statements previously made about your drippy {censored}, Shreder.:p

• Members

QUOTE #1: I feel like the guy who enjoyed time with a hooker only to later learn that her adam's apple was big for a reason.

QUOTE #2: just joking.. it sounded damn good to me

#1: Confession is on Sunday, bro.:freak:

#2: Toldja!!!

• Members

I never use the overdrive on my Quickrod. So, your 2:00 with overdrive might actually have hairier balls than my 3:00 without it. I recant any statements previously made about your drippy {censored}, Shreder.
:p

if yer not usin' the OD then we're on the same setting..roughly...just slightly less gain on my part...

so my balls are only slightly less hairy than you give me credit for =D

• Members

people can chime in and say what they want..some say i have raved about all my amps when i first got them..blah blah blah...but you guys can totally back me up on this...the splawn is UNREAL...i sat there playing it tonight again and practice and could not whipe the cheezy smile off my face...never in my life have i heard a tone so damn huge...i cuts like no other..the gain is so crushing..yet its SO clear....i do not know how Scott did it but he built my freaking dream amp and named it the QuickRod...with the exception of my old engl savage 120(and i still like the splawn alot more than it), this amp just kills anything i have owned...and that is a very long list that includes about every boogie, diezel, vht, engl, framus, bogner, etc....

• Members

Originally posted by Boogieman

people can chime in and say what they want..some say i have raved about all my amps when i first got them..blah blah blah...but you guys can totally back me up on this...the splawn is UNREAL...i sat there playing it tonight again and practice and could not whipe the cheezy smile off my face...never in my life have i heard a tone so damn huge...i cuts like no other..the gain is so crushing..yet its SO clear....i do not know how Scott did it but he built my freaking dream amp and named it the QuickRod...with the exception of my old engl savage 120(and i still like the splawn alot more than it), this amp just kills anything i have owned...and that is a very long list that includes about every boogie, diezel, vht, engl, framus, bogner, etc....

if I didn't know any better I'd say yer happy with the QR..heheh

what speakers are in that dragon cab??

• Members

v30's..and i have tried other cabs with v30's..but for some reason, the dragon cab sounds better to me...maybe its contructed a little different..not sure...i would like to try a splawn cab at some point though

I had a mesa cab with V30's in it..and it sounded like ass..that's pretty much what turned me off from boogie cabs and V30's..

also played through an Orange cab with V30s...loved the rockverbs I was playin' through, but the V30s are still a little too harsh for my liking

• Members

were you playing the oversized recto cab with v30s?...if so, that cab sucks ass to begin with..the traditional recto with v30's sounds WAY better...but even then, i like the framus cab more...cab construction really makes a difference to me...i guess that's why scott mods marshall cabs...because for metal, i hate stock marshall cabs..they sound like they are gonna explode in the back...whompy as hell

• Members

were you playing the oversized recto cab with v30s?...if so, that cab sucks ass to begin with..the traditional recto with v30's sounds WAY better...but even then, i like the framus cab more...cab construction really makes a difference to me...i guess that's why scott mods marshall cabs...because for metal, i hate stock marshall cabs..they sound like they are gonna explode in the back...whompy as hell

yeah, a triple recto through an oversized mesa cab...

yep, cab construction has an assload to do with it as well!

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

P50's

are those VHT factory speakers?

for some reason I'm thinking they're eminence?

Yes, they are Eminence. 50 watts each.

I've read somewhere they're kind of a v'30 's clone.

Don't know if it's true, though.

VHT cab's are front loaded, and this is another factor to be considered, isn't it?

• Members

Originally posted by dogmikael

Yes, they are Eminence. 50 watts each.

I've read somewhere they're kind of a v'30 's clone.

Don't know if it's true, though.

VHT cab's are front loaded, and this is another factor to be considered, isn't it?

if you could, how would you describe them tone wise?

I have no idea what the differences are between front and rear loaded are..

• Members

The only cab i compared my VHT with is a laney GL 4x12" with HH Invaders which sounded worse...more treble and upper mids in the laney, and a muddiest and "boxed" sound.
A/B using the same head the VHT won...but the laney isn't that great so this should not be a great surprise.

I heard front loaded cab have a brighter tone compared to rear loaded ones, but i'm not the right person to talk about this...there's a lot of people with a lot more knowledge than myself in this Forum...

• Members

I played through one of those Metaltronix M-1000 heads yesterday. At the time, those were the {censored} among 80's guitarheads (Gilbert, Wylde, the guy in Loudness, etc). It has a good 80's tone, but once i got it dialed in and was playing, the first thing that came to mind was "the Quickrod kills it".

• Members

I played through one of those Metaltronix M-1000 heads yesterday. At the time, those were the {censored} among 80's guitarheads (Gilbert, Wylde, the guy in Loudness, etc). It has a good 80's tone, but once i got it dialed in and was playing, the first thing that came to mind was "the Quickrod kills it".

did you put your order in yet? hehe

Archived