looking for a good small gig amp: recommendations needed!

Bassified

• Members

it's time to buy a new guitar amp. i am currently playing my ltd through my bass amp (i play bass as well) and i'm not getting the sounds i want. the sounds i want are distortion and reverb and those effects do not exist on my bass amp

now i only have $200cad (approx. $160 usd) and wanted some suggestions with my tight budget. essentially, i want an amp powerful enough to overcome my drummer, so around 40 watts is good. also, i'd like reverb. the one i am currently thinking about is the traynor reverbmate 40 or the fender frontman 25r, but again 25watts might not be enough.

i don't think i'm going to go for a modeler/preamp, because the store owner told me i wouldn't get the effects through a bass speaker, due to frequency. so combo amp it is.

if you used to own any of these small gig amps, tell me please and feel free to give suggestions.

i play punk and rock.

• Members

I'm no expert, but I would think you could find a used SS amp that would be plenty loud to gig with. If you can find a used Crate GFX 120, you get a lot of features (effects, 3 channels, footswitch) and it doesn't sound that bad. I'm sure there are other amps that might have a better sound, but with $160, your choices are severly limited.

You might want to look at Behringer, too.

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

i don't think i'm going to go for a modeler/preamp, because the store owner told me i wouldn't get the effects through a bass speaker, due to frequency. so combo amp it is.

BS. I plug my Pod into my friend's bass amp and use it for effects all the time, and he uses it as a keyboard amp for his Micro Korg, which does tons of crazy effects sounds, and it's all just fine. It's not like the speaker just chops everything off at 1 KHz or something.

I have no idea about that Traynor, but avoid the Frontman.

Unless you can find an decent amp for that cheap, I'd just get a cheap effects processor/modellers, like one of those Korg or Digitech ones, or a V-Amp. That will work fine with your bass amp, and then you can also keep using it when you get a decent amp later on.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

• Members

Originally posted by BeauNasty

Check out the Behringer Vampyre 2x12 combo. You can probably get a used one on E-bay and still have money left over. It's a Line6 rip off, but it'll do the trick.

I agree with this. You're going to have to go on ebay for a used Crate, Peavey, Behringer etc. to get enough watts for a gig and at $160 usd. I've never played the Vampire, but if it sounds like their desktop Vamp modeler and doesn't blow up then it should be pretty decent.

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

BS. I plug my Pod into my friend's bass amp and use it for effects all the time, and he uses it as a keyboard amp for his Micro Korg, which does tons of crazy effects sounds, and it's all just fine. It's not like the speaker just chops everything off at 1 KHz or something.

I have no idea about that Traynor, but avoid the Frontman.

Unless you can find an decent amp for that cheap, I'd just get a cheap effects processor/modellers, like one of those Korg or Digitech ones, or a V-Amp. That will work fine with your bass amp, and then you can also keep using it when you get a decent amp later on.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Hm, well I heard bad things from the Behringer V-Amp and the guys at the store aren't even promoting it much. They tell me to go for the SanAmp GT2 instead, but that's already $239.99cad.

i think with this budget of $200cad ($160usd) , i'm going problems picking out something good and i rather not spend a bit of money and then having to replace it later on. i did that with my first bass gear and then sold both the jay turser and some no name amp, which is a waste of money, waste of time finding someone to buy it. i eventually had to pawn the turser.

say if i increase my budget to $300cad or even $400cad, any suggestions? i'm sure i can get a good 65 watt crate or something and that's plently enough for a small gig.

Archived