A little "heads up" for the Laney crowd.

math2014

• Members

Hi all.

Lately i had serious issues with my tone, and noise with my Laney LC30II amp.

My tone was too bright, harsh and brittle. Furthermore, my notes on the low E string sounded undefined and buzzy and i blamed my technique and/or my guitar's setup for this.

With respect to noise, i had serious popping and crackling noises coming of from my amp (even without anything pluged in). On top of that when i was playing (rarely though) the pop and crackle was causing very quick drops in signal. Some other (boutique amp maker) told me that i got a cheapo-chinese mass made amp...

Some people told me i got a crappy cheap amp. Some others suggested my pcb/solders are heading south. Some others said that my valves are going south and that they are crappy Chinese valves (TAD valves). Laney themselves told me that my valves are causing the issue, but they recommended to replace them with TAD ones (WTF???). Anyhow i thought they were trying to avoid a repair claim on me.

To cut a long story short... i took the plunge and got myself a full set of JJs for both pre and power amp.

Result:

1. Noise... GONE ...completely, no pops no crackles no nothing nadda.

2. Tone, Creamy, Thick, Treble is smooth and puncy and not piercing and irritating

3. Bass is super tight, my low E string notes sound tight without any buzzing.

4. Full spectrum sound with growling mids

5 Finally... out of nowhere i got TONS of sustain, and my pedals seem to react much better to my amp, ie the fuzz now nails Page's tone in Black Dog, my OD nails GnR etc...

Anyhow. If you got a Laney and you still got stock valves, be aware that your amp is severely constrained by the TAD valves (to my ears).

I do apologise for the long post, but i was troubleshooting my amp, and researching into tone for the last 3 weeks for valves so i thought of sharing the knowledge.

Yannis

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi all.

Some other (boutique amp maker) told me that i got a cheapo-chinese mass made amp...

Whoever this amp maker was, hes a moron if his diagnosis of popping and static is "cheapo-chinese made amp" before "bad preamp tubes"

Some others suggested my pcb/solders are heading south.

Not very likely given that everything you described points to tubes.

Some others said that my valves are going south

These are the people that fall into the "smart" category.

and that they are crappy Chinese valves (TAD valves)

There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with Chinese valves, 9th GEN Shuguang 12AX7's are some of the best out there.

Result:

2. Tone, Creamy, Thick, Treble is smooth and puncy and not piercing and irritating

5 Finally... out of nowhere i got TONS of sustain, and my pedals seem to react much better to my amp, ie the fuzz now nails Page's tone in Black Dog, my OD nails GnR etc...

This should be attributed to now having 12AX7's that are in spec and not going microphonic as apposed to the fact that they are not Chinese.

• Members

My Laney did not like JJ's... the same tubes sound great in my Mesa though. It's just a case by case basis... unless, of course, the tube in question is just old and needs replacing. Right now my Laney Lionheart has a Mullard in the power section and a Tung Sol in the V1 spot... the V2 and V3 spots are still occupied by the original TADs which I always thought were nice tubes compared to some other brands.

• Members

Anyhow. If you got a Laney and you still got stock valves, be aware that your amp is severely constrained by the TAD valves (to my ears).

Your amp was having issues because the tubes were not working properly. A new, fully functional set of TAD tubes would have given you pretty the same results.

Tubes can go bad any time for any reason or no reason at all. What you are comparing here is working tubes/bad tubes, not JJ/TAD.

• Members

JJ stands for Junk Junk in my opinion. I've used about a dozen or so of their 12AX7's, their EL34B's, KT77's and 6L6GC's and never been impressed with any of it.

I've done myself a favor and just settled down with the ruby 12AX7 HG's.

And for what it's worth, TAD 6L6GC's sound awesome. never tried their pre's.

• Members

Your amp was having issues because the tubes were not working properly. A new, fully functional set of TAD tubes would have given you pretty the same results.

Tubes can go bad any time for any reason or no reason at all. What you are comparing here is working tubes/bad tubes, not JJ/TAD.

Oh hey fella! Wher eyou been lately? Lurking in the murky waters of "not posting all that much'ville"?

-Curtis

• Members

Hi all.

Lately i had serious issues with my tone, and noise with my Laney LC30II amp.

My tone was too bright, harsh and brittle. Furthermore, my notes on the low E string sounded undefined and buzzy and i blamed my technique and/or my guitar's setup for this.

With respect to noise, i had serious popping and crackling noises coming of from my amp (even without anything pluged in). On top of that when i was playing (rarely though) the pop and crackle was causing very quick drops in signal. Some other (boutique amp maker) told me that i got a cheapo-chinese mass made amp...

Some people told me i got a crappy cheap amp. Some others suggested my pcb/solders are heading south. Some others said that my valves are going south and that they are crappy Chinese valves (TAD valves). Laney themselves told me that my valves are causing the issue, but they recommended to replace them with TAD ones (WTF???). Anyhow i thought they were trying to avoid a repair claim on me.

To cut a long story short... i took the plunge and got myself a full set of JJs for both pre and power amp.

Result:

I do apologise for the long post, but i was troubleshooting my amp, and researching into tone for the last 3 weeks for valves so i thought of sharing the knowledge.

Yannis

I've always said that the TAD tubes that comes stock in the current Laney amps really makes the amp sound like crap. It will hinder the sales and unfortunately many people won't know or care about it until the tubes are changed. Good post. I always replace the stock tubes from just about any new or used amp I get with better tubes. This is the best way to hear what the amps is suppose too. Good post!

• Members

Oh hey fella! Wher eyou been lately? Lurking in the murky waters of "not posting all that much'ville"?

-Curtis

Hey Curtis! Yeah I left my band and I have been busy writing new material and auditioning musicians for a new band so I have not ha much time or energy to post much lately. But I am still lurking here everyday :lol: Once the new band is up and running I am sure I will be back to my regular posting schedule lol

• Members

Doesn't matter, Laney's cool. I got myself a GH50L last week. It's more or less a JCM 800 2204 with a switchable boost. Made in UK, good quality amp.

I just don't know if it's a stayer, I'm not really a Marshakll guy and I doubt it's gonna get a lot of playing hours next to the Mark IV and Crate BV150.

• Members

Hey Curtis! Yeah I left my band and I have been busy writing new material and auditioning musicians for a new band so I have not ha much time or energy to post much lately. But I am still lurking here everyday
:lol:
Once the new band is up and running I am sure I will be back to my regular posting schedule lol

Good, we need more cynical, real time points of views to intersperse with the "normals" :lol: What sort of jams you looking to create??

-Curtis

Archived