Marshall SL-X 900 appreciation thread.

Sir Don

• Members

Originally posted by drucifer

Thank ye, sir! No boost in those clips. As a matter of fact, for those clips I've got a GE-7 between guitar & amp sucking out some pre input lows. Anti-boosted, I guess you'd say.

The GH50L sounds "meaty". The quality isn't as great as the SL-X recordings though. How would you compare them?

I blew a chance on an SL-X on ebay, and have a price of $720 on a brand new GH50L...

Decisons, decisions...Neither of which I can try out first.

• Members

The overall flavor is similar. The GH50L is a little more middy & has a sharper edge to the attack. I wouldn't say it's more meaty. The difference in tone between the clips in the "meat" frequencies can most likely be attributed to the cabs. SL-X was recorded using a 5150 cab with Vintage 30's; GH50L clips are with an Avatar 2x12 with V12's. You nailed it with the difference in quality you noted...my recording skill has somewhat advanced in the 4 years since that clip was recorded.

Originally posted by doomsdaymachine

The GH50L sounds "meaty". The quality isn't as great as the SL-X recordings though. How would you compare them?

I blew a chance on an SL-X on ebay, and have a price of $720 on a brand new GH50L...

Decisons, decisions...Neither of which I can try out first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by drucifer

I was under the impression that the Mk III incorporated diode clipping - as in the Jubilee, whereas the SL-X is an all-tube signal path.

You are correct sir, but I also get the impression that hardly anyone uses most of gain on the sl-x cause it supposedly turns to mush; I gather there's not much difference in them if you if crank the master on channel A and keep the gain on 10 instead of 20. But I might be wrong. But then again, if someone compares the mkIII with a SL-X carrying 5881's, they probably don't sound similar a'tall...

As a point of reference, I find the mkIII on zero gain with the preamp volume at about 8 and a les paul, gives me a sound exactly like GNR's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door.

Archived