Marshall SL-X 900 appreciation thread.

Sir Don

• Members
Yeah, I like my SLX converted to something else

Hey Duesentrieb, those chickenheads look cool! I have no idea what you did internaly but i really like the cosmetics
:) . Can you tell me if these are regular chickenheads or smaller? I allways thought that those knobs would bump into each other, that the pots are too close...

Oh and one more thing, i saw the kits on your homepage, do you already know when they will be available for commercial sale?
Cheers!

• Members

Love my SL-X!!! The one I have now is the second one I've owned. I had one in the early 90's (5881 version) and sold all my gear when I quit playing around '96. I got back into it about 3 years ago and had a few amps that didn't do it for me. Then the guy I sold the amp to lent it to me for a gig and I was blown away by it again. I searched high and low and found an immaculate one with EL34's (far better than the 5881 version), and I've been in heaven ever since. Paired with an Avatar 2x12 with V30's, I've never sounded better. I just had it retubed with JJ E34L's and ECC83S tubes, and holy crap, it is smokin' even more now. The guys in my band couldn't believe the difference. Great amp. I won't get rid of mine.

• Members

I've owned and played several Marshalls over the years: I owned an early '70s 50 watt Superlead (fantastic), owned an early '70s 100 watt Superlead (very good), borrowed a JCM 800 2x12 combo (pretty good), and I used a house 20th Anniversary JCM 800 halfstack (better).

But by far the thickest, crunchiest, baddest Marshall I've ever seen or heard is my '94 SL-X. It absolutely RIPS, and I'm using (gasp) a quartet of Mesa Boogie 5881s in it. And if I told you what color it is, the Marshall purists among you would faint.

• Members

Originally posted by STD

how does it compare to your tsl?

Well the TSL is far more versatile but it's missing something that the slx provides, the slx seems to have more balls so to speak, both amps have their place though.

Archived