sot: Compressors for metal?

cincy

• Members

Originally posted by Code-001

The only real uses for a compressor are:

A. Clean tone

B. Lead tone

They're not great for rhythm. I use one for my clean tone personally.

Hey thanks for the info, I seen one in a fellows rig and never seen him use it.

• Members

Originally posted by cincy

Hey thanks for the info, I seen one in a fellows rig and never seen him use it.

The thing is, metal tones are already heavily compressed. Adding more compression generally makes them really thin sounding. A lot use them as solo boosts for added sustain. Some use them in the clean tones to make them stand out more. Most country players use compressors in their clean tones if you need some examples. Petrucci almost always uses a compressor in his clean tone, IIRC.

• Members

Comps for high gain rhythm, especially staccato stop-n-go stuff, aren't very good.

The comp will grap the attack of your guitar and smoosh it down with the transients. So instead of a big thud when you palm mute a low E, you'll lose that attack, the initial pound from the speakers. That can be taken care of when you fiddle with your attack and release settings, but it isn't needed.

There is two parts to every note you pick on the guitar: attack and transients. Which I have pointed out on the pic below.

newwaveform.jpg

Starting from square one, the function of a compressor is to grab all the peaks in a wave form and limit them from going over a threshold. They have an attack setting, which is how fast the comp will react to the signal; how quickly it will grab the peak. They also have a release setting; how quickly the comp will let go of the peak.

When you pick a note on a guitar (clean, not high gain), it looks like the waveform I just posted. Now you can clearly see the sustain (transients) after the two first peaks, it's there but it isn't nearly as loud as the initial attack. Now if I wanted to get more sustain, I could yank that peak down to the level of the transients, and boost the volume. So effectively the attack and sustain would be the same volume. Well there ya' go, now you can turn up the volume a little to make up for the compressor and you instantly have more sustain. You're adding sustain by subtracting the attack and adding volume.

Now with high gain, there aren't very many clearly defined peaks, because overdriven guitar is already heavily compressed. So you want to keep what little dynamics you already have...don't use a compressor.

• Members

A friend of mine puts one in between his 50s reissue strat and his mesa just because the single coils have such low output...or maybe it's in the effects loop.

I'm not really a fan of compressors though. I like high ouput pickups and overdrives, lets me use my volume knob and pedal more effectively if I want to mess with the volume dynamics.

• Members

A comp can be good or bad depending how you use it...
Alot of people use much too extreme of a setting, which is not needed....
They will always work best for clean guitar and for singing leads. They do sound better when using less gain, just to give you an even sound.
A good comp like a Keeley or Tone Press can add life to any sound.
They don't work well with very heavy sounds, and can add noise if pushed too far.
The trick to a compressor is setting it so that it's almost not noticeable. You simply want the pedal to even everything out and add sustain. But soooooooo many people set them too high.
I always kept my Keeley knobs at about 12 O clock, maybe a little less, and utilized it for singing leads, and funk lines...
When you "squish" the sound too much, it can sound pretty bad....
Be subtle with a comp....
Steve

Archived