6550's or El34's-- 2203 for metal

c2dzmm

• Members

I have an 81 jcm 800 2203 marshall. It currently has NOS El34's. I have to say I like the tone and sound. But I have been wanting to try 6550's.

My question is not the difference but----what would be better for playing stuff like: metallica, pantera, disturbed, mudvayne, Ozzy?

thanks guys

• Members

OK----I wish i had 2 i could compare. I want harmonic response too. This amp is OK now, but could be better---i ordered some high gain JJ's i'm going to try. Sometimes when I play fast alternate picking on the high notes---the amp seems to loose power. Weird, but true.

• Members

Originally posted by c2dzmm

ben j-----did you ever use a mt-2 or the like before yo had you hex mod? How much did the mod cost you? What did the mod do for you?

I bought it directly from Voodoo Amps with the mod already done, so I don't know what it sounded like pre-mod. I do know that it's the meanest, deadliest Marshall-voiced crunch known to man.

I had a metal zone waaaay back, but ditched it when I got my first "big boy" amp (hex). I never even bothered trying it on the hex.

And I believe 6550's might have a bit more harmonic response than EL34's, but you won't have as much crunch.

• Members

I am an EL34 guy but from what you are describing it sounds like you could be experiencing a lack of tightness or something similiar? Try using an EQ first or a boost in front of the amp and lower the gain slightly on the amp. In my experience, and from hearing many others discuss it, this can tighten up the amp and give you a better tonal palate to work with. Personally, I haven't been able to use any amp stock without doing this and I don't even play fast picked runs on the lower strings. I just like to hear the definition of what I am playing no matter how much gain I happen to be running at that point in time.

• Members

do you have any sound clips you could send me please---i would love to hear it.

I would if my audio setup wasn't being so difficult. It seems that everything I try to record clips and distorts horribly, so until I get a nicer mic pre, there won't be any clips.:( There are some good clips on the voodoo amps site though.

http://www.voodooamps.com/soundclips.html

• Members

Thanks guys. I am really happy with my 800 containing the el34's. I was just curious if the 6550s would give me a more metal sound. I am going to have an effects loop installed in the amp soon---I will give the eq thing a try.

• Members

I don't know what the rave is about 6550's in the 800s....I think the EL34s are so much better with more crunch.

And Zakk's tone sucks IMO....someone here mentioned tubby...and that's exactly how his tone is. Yeah....blasphemy...I know...but I think his one is so over-rated.

• Members

Actually I like Zakks tone from the late 80's and early 90's. I would like to know what artist are using 6550s and which are using el34's.

Well, he wasn't using Marshalls back then. Here's his late 80s rig according to the BLS site.

2 custom Metaltronix 100 watt heads

2 Ashley FET 500 power amps

(In The Rack)

3 Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 preamps

(one for clean and two dirty )

Simmons SPM 8:2 midi mixer

(splits signal from Heads to rack, only on clean the heads are off )

Furman LF-8 power conditioner

2 Nady 701 wireless receivers

2 Roland DEP-5

• Members

Thanks guys. I am really happy with my 800 containing the el34's. I was just curious if the 6550s would give me a more metal sound. I am going to have an effects loop installed in the amp soon---I will give the eq thing a try.

If you really want to shape the metal tone, put the EQ in the loop and tweak it. Then, still use the boost trick in front of the amp.

I can email you a clip of the Mig 60. PM me with your email addy and I will send it on Monday. I don't have it on this computer.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

I don't know what the rave is about 6550's in the 800s....I think the EL34s are so much better with more crunch.

And Zakk's tone sucks IMO....someone here mentioned tubby...and that's exactly how his tone is. Yeah....blasphemy...I know...but I think his one is so over-rated.

I used to almost have his tone nailed with my Mig 60 plus some tweaks. Remember, he started using those EV 200 watt speakers somewhere along the line too. With Pride and Glory, it was the JCM's and cabs loaded with GT 75's. That tone sounds muffled to me but it could have been the recording technique. Very dry tone.

Archived