As much as I love the Boards of Canada....

butterknucket

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once again, I wonder what will become of them. I hope they get darker.

i would love to hear them get darker too. i would also love to see them release an album of their short 'vignettes' or musical studies. BOC claims to be prolific in the studio, so i would love to see them release albums with greater frequency.

i grew up on the films from the national film board of canada, so for me, that's why their music reminds me of childhood. the pictures in those movies tended to be grainy and the sound was warbled due to age. both the opening and ending credits tended to be short riffs created on an analogue synth. the credits resembled the music that you would hear for television station IDs, and during the credits of news programs or shows from PBS from that era. a lot of the textures that BOC creates tend to be indicative of that sound, imho.

as was already mentioned, i think that they do take influence from hans joachim roedelius too.

it's getting late where i am and i'm experiencing difficulties tracking down the perfect example of a film from that period. i'll have to resort to the good old, 'who's who of the canadian hinterland' series. it's probably not the greatest example but it will suffice.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

here's an amusing spoof that i can't help but share. if has a bit of colourful language and references to drugs, so if those things bother you, this vid is not for you.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived