As much as I love the Boards of Canada....

butterknucket

• Members

I guess Kansas is hipper than Massachusetts then
:cool:

maybe- I remember everybody I knew at the time bought copies of Chris Carter's The Space Between and Din A Testbild's TV Junk And New Beat Funk when the Wichita Camelot store at the mall had tons of them in the $1 bargain bin back in '93

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just get a little personal when I met people that love them yet hate Aphex Twin. Makes no sense.

i love BOC (especially the earlier stuff), but can't stand or couldn't care less about Aphex Twin for the most part. :idk: nice little tune there, but it does nothing for me compared to most anything by BOC. there's something about them that i can't put my finger on, but as someone said earlier they somehow trigger memories of being a kid. weird. i even love their zzzz hip-hop.

i don't like Squarepusher either. :D

• Members

i love BOC (especially the earlier stuff), but can't stand or couldn't care less about Aphex Twin for the most part.
:idk:

Selected Ambient Works Vol II is about the only Aphex Twin I listen to anymore. "Rhubard" is still one of my favorite songs of all time, from any artist. I'm not into his beat-oriented stuff as much.

• Members

Selected Ambient Works Vol II
is about the only Aphex Twin I listen to anymore. "Rhubard" is still one of my favorite songs of all time, from any artist. I'm not into his beat-oriented stuff as much.

Aphex Twin is yet another artist whose earlier works had more melody, and consequently I enjoy more than the later stuff which went too glitchy for my taste.

(Aphex Twin is also yet another artist of whom people debate gear way more than they should, ascribing mystical powers to relatively simple techniques. SAW II is pretty simple production wise after all.)

• Members

Aphex Twin from 94-95 is my favorite music I've ever heard. My favorite time for chillout leftfield techno (Oval Diskont94!!). After that, it's all about bangin minimal techno from the later 90's for me.

BoC feels like parody in comparison. I doubt we'll hear much more from them in the future. Their time as passed IMO.

Aphex. .. timeless. Has those childlike melodies without being forced like BoC.

• Members

, but as someone said earlier they somehow trigger memories of being a kid.

that is BoC sampling the 'childlike melodies' of Hans Joachim Roedelius- many of his melodies were used in children's programs and advertisements in Europe and the US during the 70s- so much so that these motifs are equated with children's music for modern generations the same way that the Barrons' bleeps are associated with deep space sounds- BoC are a 'plunderphonic' type band so you need to realize that like FSOL they borrow from older artists and make mash-up music

• Members

that is BoC sampling the 'childlike melodies' of Hans Joachim Roedelius- many of his melodies were used in children's programs and advertisements in Europe and the US during the 70s- so much so that these motifs are equated with children's music for modern generations the same way that the Barrons' bleeps are associated with deep space sounds- BoC are a 'plunderphonic' type band so you need to realize that like FSOL they borrow from older artists and make mash-up music

umm, that's quite interesting, but sounds like bollocks to me. :) got any links to some Roedelius? i don't think they necessarily conjure those feelings because they sound like something i've heard before, though who knows. can't explain it. honestly not very familiar with Future Sound of London either (somehow, unfortunately) but in what way do they borrow from older artists?

• Members

umm, that's quite interesting, but sounds like bollocks to me.
:)

Me too. :) The only album which really has a direct "child like" theme (my opinion) is Music Has the Right to Children IMHO, and that's mainly because of the playground samples and the slight happy-go-hippie vibe in some of their song titles and whatnot.

70s/80s educational programming is obviously an influence on their early work (hence the name "Boards of Canada"). So maybe some people will pick this up and have this evoke "childlike memories". However, even their early work went Warp-style glitchy every now and then, far removed I imagine from Roedelius.

• Members

Borrow = sample Ok, I'm turning this into a lil Youtube "sound of ambient 1995 thread" party thread.

mUT3KoxVzQg

tgTnqgaslXU&feature=related

4Q9fhvj3fv8

7sabZrjY_7U

9_AXq0NfHzg

qYU-zUEdZvE

DpWU_Nrwe10&feature=related

Thanks setAI. Never heard Hans Joachim Roedelius before. Very nice stuff.

• Members

The only album which really has a direct "child like" theme (my opinion) is Music Has the Right to Children IMHO

Cause it samples children? Hmmm... well I heard the childlike connection (personally and in reviews an such) with Aphex before BoC released their first record.

UMPa1WGU4n4

Reminds me of the hard minimal techno I liked that reminded me of a horror movie. Then I hear Kevin Drumm flat out sample a horror movie and he gets the credit? pfffffff... I think painters have more vision than photographers.

Btw - I've been diggin on Mort Garson lately.

tQF4FtM9I0U

• Members

BoC are a 'plunderphonic' type band

The term "plunderphonics" implies music that is comprised entirely of samples from the recordings of other artists, using cut-up/collage technique. I don't hear that at all with BoC.

You could easily say they are inspired and influenced by the work of Hans Joachim Roedelius, but have they sampled his recordings?

• Members

thanks for the Aphex and Oval vids. still not impressed. :D also, it's not like BoC was doing nothing until 'Music Has The Right...' in 1998. 'Twoism' came out in 1995 and they had plenty of material recorded before then. ever heard the 'Old Tunes' tapes?

back on topic...

AP1JrsMGiog

Zvfc5i1rmnw

bdTqwePboR8&feature=related

l09cDh0k9kI&feature=related

jNuQwwy-UK0&feature=related

gOQe3PFRlZM

• Members

Wasn't trying to win you over. You've made up your mind. It's for the others.

I hate those beats. I've said this before but I think their beats cheapen their music. Brings it "down to earth" as opposed to "other-worldly". Take the beat out. Write more parts... I made a comp of all their their vignette's and I have that little Skam cd. Love that one house jam on there. Hate the trip hop tracks though.

I like real hip hop more. Madlib!!!

• Members

Didn't say they did use Roedelius' music. just heard of him today.

Once again, I wonder what will become of them. I hope they get darker.

I was commenting more on setAI's use of the term "plunderphonics". I'd bet 90% of the samples BoC uses are made by themselves, not other people's music as plunderphonics implies.

As for dark, Geogaddi is quite dark for me.

• Members

It's amazing the stuff I think of as relatively obscure, that you can find on the Youtubes these days.

For instance, you can now find on the Youtubes Mort Garson's "Zodiac", an early heavily-Moog filled novelty record.

[YOUTUBE]debSnUausf0[/YOUTUBE]

No "Sensuous Lovers" by Mort Garson (sorry, "Z") though :lol:

Archived