OT: Two quick questions...

Metrosonus

• Members

i need, and i mean
need
to find a way to get
real
guinness draught. nobody can pull one here at all and half the pubs cut it with water. i can get the kegs locally, but i'd have to store everything out in the garage.

Sounds like you need to build a kegerator. :) It's not too difficult to convert a fridge into a beer dispensing device.

Mine dispenses homebrew beer out of old-style soda Cornelius kegs. I could dispense regular kegs if I get a sankey coupler. I also could in theory change one of my taps to a Guinness style tap -- you need a different faucet, a second gas source and regulator, and (for tapping commercial Guinness kegs) the U-style coupler. Easily possible though.

• Members

pics or it's just an atari 2600

I don't have any pics of it handy ATM, darn it. :mad: I even had to fix it, I bought it busted. The horizontal CRT driver transistors had blown leaving a nice vertical line on the screen. I even have some spare transistors JIC it did it again, but I've since sold the thing to my neighbors down the street.

Sad thing is, they don't play it anymore. I'd buy it back if I could figure out where to keep it. They seem so much smaller in the arcade. :facepalm:

• Members

how do you go about getting a keg to own? i got one on my birthday a few years ago (virgin kegger then) and they said to keep it as long as i needed it (i payed the deposit). anyway, i was going to return it the next weekend but they relentlessly called me everyday since my birthday about bringing it back :idk: so what do you do then? just buy the keg out right and swap out the next one like propane?

• Members

No idea. I would have thought that it would be a keep-it-as-long-as-you-need-it type of thing, and that if they knew you were using it for a home kegerator, not a party, they wouldn't harass you. :idk:

I wonder if it would be easier using a distributor that normally caters to bars for home kegerators?

• Members

1) I think so-called "movie theater" popcorn tastes horrible and artificial. Real popcorn is made by popping corn kernels in pure oil using an old-fashioned pot or kettle. After that you season by adding pure melted butter and salt. You drizzle the butter on little-by-little, alternating butter-salt-butter-salt... and stir gently after each application to get a uniform coating. To make the popcorn, you coat the bottom of a cold pot or kettle with just enough oil to immerse a single layer of kernels about 1/2 the way up the kernel. Put the kettle on the stove and turn on the stove. Place 3 kernels around the bottom of the pot and put the lid on. Wait until all 3 kernels pop, then dump enough kernels into the pot to cover the bottom in a single layer and put the lid on. Shake the pot a bit to make sure the kernels are spread out nicely and continue shaking periodically, say every 20-30 seconds, during heating and popping of all the kernels. Remove the pot promptly from the stove as soon as the time between pops is greater than a second or two. Wait about 5-10 seconds for the last kernels to go, take the lid out and dump into a big bowl for seasoning and eating.

2) The songs are oldies but we still like them. There was a certain generation where it was okay to use the term "oldies" but since that term was used for music considered out-of-date by baby boomers and early X-ers in the 70's the term will never be accepted for "their" music. My 24-year old office buddy does not recognize many bands or songs from the 70's and early 80's and didn't get the phrase "this one goes to eleven" and lots of other sayings from the pop culture of the 70's and 80's. Likewise I see some young band in concert on Palladium that I have never heard of, look them up online, and find out they are major Billboard charters.

Archived