The Plexi: Unreliable POS amps? Discuss...

2B

• Members

Hi all Plexi / old Marshall fans...

I've played old Marshalls for years, mostly "metal-panel" amps from mid '69 to '75, and a couple of JMP 2203/2204 amps, + some other stuff like the Silver Jubilee, and Slash Signatures.

Most of these amps have been GREAT, with killer tone.

During years I've NEVER had any problem with these.

Ok, I've blown a couple of fuses on my old "workhorse", a '79 JMP2203, but thats just nothing.

Then, step into "plexi-territory", and problems DO exists.

Unreliable amps not meant for gigging hard?

I've had my turns with a couple of these..., on the positive side my '68 Super Bass is still 100% and killer.

But, are some just meant to be kept in the closet by collectors after 40 + years?

Hmmm, I'm starting to think so.

My point is, I guess I'll never drag a plexi to a gig without a

back-up.

Killer tone, yes. Reliable? IMO, NOT all of'em.

I guess Marshall after all did make some great "upgrades" for the metal-panel amps.

The old plexi trannies have great tone. But, they are not that well done (best quality). "Well-done" might sooner or later be like toasted "well-done".

Marshall did use cheap parts at that time, for the better or worse...

Maybe these amps are for the collectors anyway. Nice to look at, cool to stuff away, but not suited to be cranked on a regular basis.

What's Your opinion and experience?

T.

• Members

My Superbass has only give me one problem. It blew a power tube while I was onstage. Though I finished the show with it, I had no gain.

Ironically I was nailing SRV's tone at that point because I kept turning the volume up to compensate but there was no gain, only clean punch. :freak:

• Members

Well, mine isnt a vintage model by any means, but I run it hard everytime I play it.

I dime it all the time (albeit with a hotplate) and other than getting pretty damn hot, it's fine for me.

They worked for everyone in the 60s/70s okay, it seems.

• Members

Originally posted by blargh

I might be mistaken, but don't old plexis put out too much plate voltage for new production EL34s? I think I heard that somewhere, might be false. Those old Mullards could take a beating.

I dunno... My '71 has a plate voltage of 505-510... I've read it at 515 at times... SED's work fine

Every tube I had in there worked fine.

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

send me yours then if you no longer require it
:)

Nope... I'll be buried with that amp... :D

I played the XTC for a couple hours last night then turned on the SL... man o man... :D

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

Nope... I'll be buried with that amp...
:D

I played the XTC for a couple hours last night then turned on the SL... man o man...

I was recording some songs in a "studio" earlier in the week. Had an assortment of amps and used the plexi for the vast majority of them. It just reeks of dirty rock n roll :cool:

• Members

I was recording some songs in a "studio" earlier in the week. Had an assortment of amps and used the plexi for the vast majority of them. It just reeks of dirty rock n roll
:cool:

That's the best description. It just sounds like dirty '70's rock... :D

If you boost it, it's slimey '80's rock... :D

• Members

That's the best description. It just sounds like dirty '70's rock...

If you boost it, it's slimey '80's rock...

the wife is going out for a couple of hours tomorrow......

officially I am baby sitting..................

;)

• Members

the wife is going out for a couple of hours tomorrow......

officially I am baby sitting..................

;)

unofficially you will be damaging your son's hearing... :D

I hope you got a 100 watt Marshall Baby Monitor... :D

• Members

Originally posted by blargh

I might be mistaken, but don't old plexis put out too much plate voltage for new production EL34s? I think I heard that somewhere, might be false. Those old Mullards could take a beating.

Yes, I've heard something like this.

I guess some of the chinese EL-34's would face some problems with an old 100W plexi.

• Members

unofficially you will be damaging your son's hearing...

I hope you got a 100 watt Marshall Baby Monitor...

LOL - he can cope quite nicely in the car with ACDC/Darkness etc! I guess I will be hotplating whilst keeping the door open and an eye on him in the other room :)

actually, I need to redo all of my lead solos - i listened to them and they sound like a bag o {censored}e....... :(

• Members

LOL - he can cope quite nicely in the car with ACDC/Darkness etc! I guess I will be hotplating whilst keeping the door open and an eye on him in the other room
:)

actually, I need to redo all of my lead solos - i listened to them and they sound like a bag o {censored}e.......
:(

You used the Plexi for solos as well?

• Members

no I used the Herbert

lead tones were not a problem, lead playing sadly was
:(

I know the feeling... :D I've gotten some kick ass tones but the playing wasn't there... :D

Hit or miss with me. :D I need a few beers.

• Members

The old plexi trannies have great tone. But, they are not that well done (best quality). "Well-done" might sooner or later be like toasted "well-done".

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion? We've worked on a great deal of older Marshalls and the transformers we always rugged.

Marshall did use cheap parts at that time, for the better or worse...Maybe these amps are for the collectors anyway. Nice to look at, cool to stuff away, but not suited to be cranked on a regular basis.

What usually needs to happen with older plexis is they need to be gone through by a tech who has experience working on many of those amps.

For what it's worth

Trace

Archived