No love for the Randall Cyclone?

JnBroadbent

• Members

Got some great reviews and some members swear by the head. I'm getting one soon and just wanted to see what people though of it.

A few questions though, does it have a normal line out or a cab simulated line out to the mixer?

IS the EQ before or after the preamp?

What speakers would go best with the head? Right now I have a g-flex 212, but I want to shatter some souls and explode some heads at some gigs coming up.

:thu:

• Members

It has no simulated line out.

The EQ would be post preamp (I'm pretty sure).

I just nabbed one of these off of ebay for a pretty nice price. I really like it, its a fun amp. It is definitely a top notch rehearsal or back up amp for me. Years ago, also in search of a cheap SS amp, I bought one of those RH100 or whatever amps...that doesn't even get remotely close to the Cyclone in terms of power or tone.

I'm not really into the Dimebag type tone, but with this amp, its in there. If I leave the graphic flat and just use the knobs, I can get a great distortion tone with lots of sustain. It can get a little sharp in the high end, but it can be dialed out. The suggested settings in the manual sounded completely goofy to me.

Thus far I prefer the amp with V30s, but I've also used it with a Marshall cab with 75s - not as nice.

It wouldn't replace any of my tube heads, but you can't go wrong with this amp if you find one at a great price - its heavy and loud as hell!!

• Members

Originally posted by Rayneman

It has no simulated line out.

The EQ would be post preamp (I'm pretty sure).

I just nabbed one of these off of ebay for a pretty nice price. I really like it, its a fun amp. It is definitely a top notch rehearsal or back up amp for me. Years ago, also in search of a cheap SS amp, I bought one of those RH100 or whatever amps...that doesn't even get remotely close to the Cyclone in terms of power or tone.

I'm not really into the Dimebag type tone, but with this amp, its in there. If I leave the graphic flat and just use the knobs, I can get a great distortion tone with lots of sustain. It can get a little sharp in the high end, but it can be dialed out. The suggested settings in the manual sounded completely goofy to me.

Thus far I prefer the amp with V30s, but I've also used it with a Marshall cab with 75s - not as nice.

It wouldn't replace any of my tube heads, but you can't go wrong with this amp if you find one at a great price - its heavy and loud as hell!!

Well I bought a Marshall 8100 hoping to solve some gas, but that didn't work, and I'm currently unemployed I need a cheap amp that just slaughters. Hopefully this will be it.

But doesn't level line out mean that you can run it straight into the mixer?

• Members

Anyone try an EQ in front and do the 'dime' thing to it?

50footmidget says 362 sounds good in the loop.

I'm getting a Randall cab with v30's and want to do the 'X' pattern with it. What are two other good speakers I could throw in there?

• Members

Yeah, they dont have a lot of bass. my Randall Century 200II is the same way. A lot of times I will throw an EQ in the loop, and boost 100Hz like +15db, then after that, it sounds fairly similar to my 5150.

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

Yeah, they dont have a lot of bass. my Randall Century 200II is the same way. A lot of times I will throw an EQ in the loop, and boost 100Hz like +15db, then after that, it sounds fairly similar to my 5150.

And the 8100 didn't sound too much different then my g10 mkII Marshall :thu:

Old ass Marshall 10 watt.

• Members

Originally posted by JnBroadbent

I dig when I'm jammin by my self, but in a band situation, I don't know. It just doesn't seem to fill out enough.

ic....well i used mine next to a junky crate and it was WAAY better in that situation...but i do hear ya...ive tried it w/ a VHT UL and it wasnt the best mix...worked but wasnt the best

• Members

Originally posted by JnBroadbent

I know there are some more Cyclone followers?

Bought one as a lark off ebay just to try it a few years back. I thought it was just horrible. Amp doesn't respond well to picking dynamics........also gain on 2 or 10 sounded the same......I actually thought it was a pretty loud amp.......sold that puppy in around 2 weeks.....got about what I paid for it.......never tried it with a pedal.......maybe that would have helped.......hated it other wise.....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived