Did my boss pedal just fuck up my amp?

VanArnaoutov

• Members

Ok. I'm sitting here scared {censored}less right now. Just turned my amp off and back on after unplugging all the pedals.

I have a Boss DD-20 that I run on batteries. What it does when it is low on {censored}ing batteries is it starts flashing while cutting the signal on and off repeatedly (the geniuses at boss thought this would be a good way to alert you the batteries were low). When it did this it made my amp make popping noises each time it went on and off. I thought nothing of it and didn'T play until I put in a new set of batteries (just now) and my amp's volume is fading in/out and is acting screwy. I JUST HAD IT SERVICED TOO.

Can anyone chime in?

• Members

An egnater TOL 100.

Everything was bloody perfect until this happened, and I just tried it again and its still {censored}ed up.

No volume for 5 seconds then all of sudden there is sound for 2 seconds and it repeats.

Can I sue boss for this?? I'm dead serious. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

I know I typed the post fast and it might not be 100% understandable but here's what happened:

-Was playing with Boss DD-20 delay in the effects loop a few hours ago. It was running on batteries. Everything was perfect until the Screen on the pedal started flashing indicating "LO" for low batteries, as the screen flashed, the pedal intermitedly cut the signal, this made my amp make a popping sound each time it was cut out. I took me a few seconds to realise what was going on and turn off the amp (6-9 pops went through by then). I thought nothing of it because I was too lazy to change the batteries.

-Until just now. I changed the batteries, plugged everything in as usual and the amp started fading in and out the volume.. thinking I had a bad connection somewhere, I connected directly to the amp and lo and behold, the same thing.

• Members

Just tried the amp for a third time after waiting 5 minutes for the tubes to warm up.

Something is 100% blown in there. When I get back from my gig.. its back to the tech.

I have a legitimate question for you guys: can I sue Boss? I just checked the owners manual and it did NOT say anything about the signal cutting in and out when its low on batteries. All it said is that "the screen will get dimmer".

• Members

Originally posted by VanArnaoutov

Just tried the amp for a third time after waiting 5 minutes for the tubes to warm up.

Something is 100% blown in there. When I get back from my gig.. its back to the tech.

I have a legitimate question for you guys: can I sue Boss? I just checked the owners manual and it did NOT say anything about the signal cutting in and out when its low on batteries. All it said is that "the screen will get dimmer".

I really doubt you could sue Boss. You'd have to have some kinda evidence that proved that the pedal caused the damage.

• Members

Originally posted by anomaly

I really doubt you could sue Boss. You'd have to have some kinda evidence that proved that the pedal caused the damage.

Yeah, and haveing tubes in the amp doesn't help the case either. I say that because tubes are really the only part of the amp that's going to wear out from use. If it was just serviced, are they new tubes? If so and the tubes were the problem, I'd get the tech who worked on it to fix it for free. Good luck. I know if anything like that happened to me, I'd be pissed beyond all belief.

• Members

Originally posted by anomaly

I agree unfortunatly, but he could at least get a refund or a replacement of the pedal if it happens to be the problem.

• Members

I really doubt you could sue boss either.

I know you're super pissed and it made me laugh reading this just because I could tell how pissed you were.

But if you think about it in like three or four weeks you won't even care anymore.

But how about before you think about suing them you try to call them up and see what they have to say?

From what I know boss is a really respectable company.
Give it a shot.

Let them know that you've wasted way too much money now and you're scared to continue to use their product.

• Members
Originally posted by exposeenmity

^Yeah, and haveing tubes in the amp doesn't help the case either. I say that because tubes are really the only part of the amp that's going to wear out from use. If it was just serviced, are they new tubes? If so and the tubes were the problem, I'd get the tech who worked on it to fix it for free. Good luck. I know if anything like that happened to me, I'd be pissed beyond all belief.

I sent it to a tech because it was doing this (the volume fading and stuff) but to a much lesser degree.

He changed two pre-amp tubes and some kind of transistor (look like a pea-sized metal object) that he said burned out. He said I was lucky he was even able to find this "part". However, I have to hand it to him, it did sound incredible when I got it back, and it did NOT do the "fading" thing.. until this {censored} happened.

I doubt the tech did anything bad intentionally.. he's a good guy and very reputable..

I'm as confused as I am upset.. and angry... I had the exact tone I needed for tomorrow.. :cry:

• Members

I would check the power tubes first thing. I have a Laney head that did this once and I put some new power tubes in and it fixed the problem right away. The old tubes looked fine too and it really threw me off at first, so just because your power tubes may be glowing nicely doesn't mean that they don't need to be changed. Just a thought. Hope you're able to resolve it soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

UPDATE:

I know its been a while but I couldn't get back here until now.

So I had the tech look at the amp and he said it wasn't doing what I described to him when he tested it again (the fading in and out) and I asked him if he could check the tubes (he said if they all glow fine this shouldn't be a problem.. and if only one of them is problematic, it can'T cause the problem that I described... should this be a red light for this tech? I've only ever heard the contrary)

So anyway he said he just cleaned up all the pots and everything free of charge and I got back home and tried it out.

The clean channel sounded good... but channels 3 and 4 especially.. (no fading/in out.. volume was ok) I don't know how to describe it. Not as "tubey" and less low end for some reason. I don't know if its my head messing with me (placebo) or whatever... but I'M bumping this in case Bruce is lurking the forum.

• Members

UPDATE:

I know its been a while but I couldn't get back here until now.

So I had the tech look at the amp and he said it wasn't doing what I described to him when he tested it again (the fading in and out) and I asked him if he could check the tubes (he said if they all glow fine this shouldn't be a problem.. and if only one of them is problematic, it can'T cause the problem that I described... should this be a red light for this tech? I've only ever heard the contrary)

So anyway he said he just cleaned up all the pots and everything free of charge and I got back home and tried it out.

The clean channel sounded good... but channels 3 and 4 especially.. (no fading/in out.. volume was ok) I don't know how to describe it. Not as "tubey" and less low end for some reason. I don't know if its my head messing with me (placebo) or whatever... but I'M bumping this in case Bruce is lurking the forum.

I'll tell you that when I had my TOL 100, it was the most unreliable amp I've ever owned. That thing had problem after problem, and mine was hand built by Bruce. Bruce wasn't exactly helpful in fixing it either...sorry if you're reading this Bruce, but its true.

Anyways, I highly doubt the pedal messed up the amp. It was probably just coincidence that it screwed up when the pedal was on.

-Joe

• Members

...I asked him if he could check the tubes (he said if they all glow fine this shouldn't be a problem.. and if only one of them is problematic, it can'T cause the problem that I described... should this be a red light for this tech? I've only ever heard the contrary)

A tube's "glowing" only indicates that the heater filaments haven't broken. Since tubes are not light bulbs and have several other elements inside them (light bulbs only have the one filament, and all it does is glow), this is not a good indication that the tubes are working properly. Tubes can have catastrophically failed and their filaments may still glow normally.

Try new tubes.

Archived