NOS tubes - are they really better than current production tubes?

guitar_face

• Members

So basically I'm curious about nos tubes, since they're marketed as being far superiour to current production tubes with Mullards and Telefunkens going for insane amounts of money. I'm a little skeptical but I want opinions.

Do you or have you used nos tubes in the past?

Do you think they're really better than current production tubes?

It also seems that people think that nos tubes last longer too, such as the Telefunken ECC83's, which apparently last 100,000 hours??? true or bs?

So anyway if you've used nos tubes in the past did they sound noticably better and/or last longer than current production tubes?

Also, which makes a bigger difference to an amps sound, preamp or poweramp tubes?

Discuss :wave: .

p.s- Sorry if this has been done before, post a link to another thread if it has.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dont think there a 100 dollars better if thats what you mean
I once saw a quad of genelex lions for 800 bucks thats 200 each WOW and they sold.
I am sure the NOS tubes are good really good and "SOME" are probably better than whats around today.
notice how I highlighted some because some could be worse than the good quality stuff now.
Today we are lucky even luckier than 10 years ago there is so much variety of good quality tubes and a lot of the new tubes are made on the same machinery that was bought from the companies that made the NOS tubes in the first place.
And the NOS designs are being faithfully reproduced probably the most famous the lost Mullard tube an Icon of tubes.
Armed with that knowledge theres really no point in buying expensive NOS tubes sure if there cheap or just a little more expensive I would do it just for nostalga.And maybe I might spend a little more to get a good preamp tube cause it will last almost as long as the amp in some cases,
A power tube wont last more than a couple of years if you use your amp a lot so theres not as much value in buying expensive power tubes.
Basically the new tubes are so good its only worth it if the price is right.

• Members

Ya, quality control was better back in the day, so NOS tubes typically are better built, last longer, and are closer to spec than current production tubes.

Whether or not they sound better is subjective. Personally I'm not that picky. I've tried a couple in the preamp position but that's it. They did sound nice but I'm avoiding trying more, power tubes etc. I don't know if I'd get hooked on them but I don't want to take the chance :)

I suck at guitar anyway and the supply of NOS tubes is limited and ever dwindling, so I leave them for the people who really want them :thu:

• Members

I scored all these off Ebay, back when thay were quite a bit cheaper. They're all NOS or ANOS.

New tubes suck, IMHO.

The reissue Mullards are not the same. Same machinery perhaps, same materials--NO WAY.

I played clips for many non musicians, even they could tell that NOS is better.

You can't even get new production tubes for 10 bucks.

Well worth the extra price, considering that they last many times longer.
Would you rather replace 5 {censored}ty tubes often, or one good one that lasts as long as all 5 crap-os.

Preamp tubes make the most difference to me.

Save up and buy one, then decide for yourself (the only way to be sure)

Chuck

• Members

They dont make em like they use to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you buy a tube mic preamp ..... get a good NOS tube for it.

For guitar amps ... i prefer current production tubes.
They are easier to find, cheaper... and they do work.
The girl in the front club table doesnt care if they arent rare exotic NOS tubes.

When i listen to a gutiar album ... I cant tell if what I'm hearing was done with NOS tubes or current production.
Neither can anyone else.

• Members

Originally posted by chuckgp

I can, idiot.

"idiot" doesnt happen to believe you.

I would love to try an experiment though.

I would love to record a song 6 different times using NOS tubes in 1 of the recordings and current production tubes in the other 5 recordings..... and then having the uppity purists tell me which one was done with the NOS tubes.

• Members

I said I let even NONMUSICIANS listen to clips and they could tell a difference, and preferred NOS.

Sober up.

Originally posted by gafyagaton

"idiot" doesnt happen to believe you.

I would love to try an experiment though.

I would love to record a song 6 different times using NOS tubes in 1 of the recordings and current production tubes in the other 5 recordings..... and then having the uppity purists tell me which one was done with the NOS tubes.

• Members

Just buy current production tubes. Dont fall for the "i'm so uppity and need uppity high class tubes because that will help me sell more albums" propaganda.

We all know tubes were made better back in the day....but... screw it.

Tubes dont sell albums. Songs do.

• Members

Meth?

Just buy current production tubes. Dont fall for the "i'm so uppity and need uppity high class tubes because that will help me sell more albums" propaganda.

We all know tubes were made better back in the day....but... screw it.

Tubes dont sell albums. Songs do.

• Members

Thanks guys, anyone know where I can learn more about tubes?? When I look on ebay tubes are rated and I want to understand these ratings. Plus I want to see picture of nos tubes so I don't get ripped off by imitations etc.

Is there a site dedicated to this kind of stuff?

I think I probably will end trying nos tubes in preamp position atleast.

• Members

Originally posted by chuckgp

Meth?

That and I cant stand the Pied Pipers of the world trying to lure people down NOS tube alley needlessly.

Its a waste. And not all NOS tubes sound great in every amp anyways.

Does Satriani need NOS tubes to sound better than CHUCKGP??? no. He uses Groove tubes. CURRENT PRODUCTION.

Forget NOS tubes (except for tube mic preamps)... if only because the best NOS tubes... are hard to find or are too expensive to be justifiable.

• Members

They dont make em like they use to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you buy a tube mic preamp ..... get a good NOS tube for it.

For guitar amps ... i prefer current production tubes.

They are easier to find, cheaper... and they do work.

The girl in the front club table doesnt care if they arent rare exotic NOS tubes.

When i listen to a gutiar album ... I cant tell if what I'm hearing was done with NOS tubes or current production.

Neither can anyone else.

This is the stupidest point people always seem to make, when it comes to anything tone. It could be pickups, strings, speakers, cables, guitars, effects, amps..... "do you think the audience can tell that you are playing a boutique amp?" "do you think that hot red head cares if I use 6l6's instead of el34's?", "The audience will never know if I use seymour duncans, or the stock pickups" , " My gay lover would never be able to tell the diff between a MIA strat and a MIM one"

Your tone is composed of everything between the material of the pick you use to your pickups, cables, amp, pre and power tubes, cab, speakers, cab positioning (a big one people overlook) etc.

Just because you or anyone else listening cant pick up where the individual nuances in your tone are added, taken away, or changed, does not mean they will not subconciously (I cant spell) enjoy your music even more as a result of having good tone.

Tone is underrated (not so much on this forum though)

As far a NOS tubes, well my Hot Cat is loaded with nos rca and tele pres, and my IIC+ has nos philips in it. Power tubes are new production though, power tubes make a big diff, but I would rather not burn through them unless I was recording.

Yes they make a difference.

• Members

http://www.watfordvalves.com/reports.asp

Very good info here. Compares many different tubes.

There have been fake tubes that look exactly like NOS, appearances can be deceiving.

I suggest you go with Doug's Tubes, or one of the quality dealers

that are mentioned here on HC.

I also got some good NOS from a local radio-repair guy. Check your local yellow pages.

Beware Ebay.

Chuck

• Members

You've never heard my tone, how the {censored} do you know?

Might want to read some of the other posts. No telling what alley you'd lead him down.

You buy current production tubes at Brokeback tube store right?:D

That and I cant stand the Pied Pipers of the world trying to lure people down NOS tube alley needlessly.

Its a waste. And not all NOS tubes sound great in every amp anyways.

Does Satriani need NOS tubes to sound better than CHUCKGP??? no. He uses Groove tubes. CURRENT PRODUCTION.

Forget NOS tubes ... except for tube mic preamps... if only because the best ones... are hard to find or too expensive to be justifiable.

• Members

It is so funny how no one can have an opionion here without causing some jerk to flame them.

If you have an old amp get old NOS tubes. If you have a newer amp get tubes that the amp was designed to work with.

An audience member will not be able to tell the differend but you will and it will effect how you play.

Old tubes were built to more exacting specs. Medical, and military equipment used them and they had better be reliable. Not so much anymore. Who cares if a jerk off has his amp melt down?

• Members

Originally posted by Mongoloid

This is the stupidest point people always seem to make, when it comes to anything tone. It could be pickups, strings, speakers, cables, guitars, effects, amps..... "do you think the audience can tell that you are playing a boutique amp?" "do you think that hot red head cares if I use 6l6's instead of el34's?", "The audience will never know if I use seymour duncans, or the stock pickups" , " My gay lover would never be able to tell the diff between a MIA strat and a MIM one"

Your tone is composed of everything between the material of the pick you use to your pickups, cables, amp, pre and power tubes, cab, speakers, cab positioning (a big one people overlook) etc.

Just because you or anyone else listening cant pick up where the individual nuances in your tone are added, taken away, or changed, does not mean they will not subconciously (I cant spell) enjoy your music even more as a result of having good tone.

Tone is underrated (not so much on this forum though)

As far a NOS tubes, well my Hot Cat is loaded with nos rca and tele pres, and my IIC+ has nos philips in it. Power tubes are new production though, power tubes make a big diff, but I would rather not burn through them unless I was recording.

Yes they make a difference.

You NOS tards want me to believe that EVERY hit song or popular album was recorded with NOS tubes. I happen to know thats not a fact. I happen to know that MANY big name guitarists.....use current production tubes. Why? because Current production tubes are all you really need.

For as long as hit songs/albums can be created with current production tubes.... the need for NOS tubes is extremely questionable.

You want me to believe "NOS" tubes are the secret ingredient that makes one album sell more copies than another.

BULL{censored}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuff your NOS tubes where they belong! Underneath the rubble of some 1950s tube factory.

I am hereby ANTI NOS TUBE (except for tube mic preamps).

Reminds me of a certain poster from 1 year ago who told me on the phone how much he spent experimenting with NOS tubes to find out which works best for his amp.... and I was thinking to myself:

"dude. YOUR MUSIC SUCKS with or without NOS addiction. Why not spend that $400 on a music instruction book?"

• Members

You NOS tards want me to believe that EVERY hit song or popular album was recorded with NOS tubes. I happen to know thats not a fact. I happen to know that MANY big name guitarists.....use current production tubes. Why? because Current production tubes are all you really need.

For as long as hit songs/albums can be created with current production tubes.... the need for NOS tubes is extremely questionable.

You want me to believe "NOS" tubes are the secret ingredient that makes one album sell more copies than another.

BULL{censored}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuff your NOS tubes where they belong! Underneath the rubble of some 1950s tube factory.

I am hereby ANTI NOS TUBE (except for tube mic preamps).

Reminds me of a certain poster from 1 year ago who told me on the phone how much he spent experimenting with NOS tubes to find out which works best for his amp.... and I was thinking to myself:

"dude. YOUR MUSIC SUCKS with or without NOS addiction. Why not spend that $400 on a music instruction book?"

your either trolling or you are a {censored}ing idiot, if you dont figure it out by re-reading your post, I will tell you later.

Archived