NOS tubes - are they really better than current production tubes?

guitar_face

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NOS tubes are cool, but in my experience it has depended on the amp. Some newer amps just don't show that much difference between tubes, while the tweed and blackface fenders I've owned were much better sounding with telefunkens, mullards or RCAs. I do think the NOS tubes last longer, and in some cases that's good enough reason to use them if you can get a good deal on them.

Scary thing about newer tubes is that even when they try to make them 'just like the old ones' - like the GT Mullards - they still have problems. There are guys on this board that had several failures or problems with the GT Mullard 'reissues' that were never really cleared up, other than Myles popping on here to say that their tubes work great on a tester.

Pete

• Members

Thanks everyone, especially the guys with valid opinions who refrained from bitching and whatnot.

Sinasl1
Wow, I noticed differences for sure! JJs sounded the very worst easily imo, and the Mullard copy is really accurate! too bad they only last 3 months tops according to most reviews :( .

Thanks again.

• Members

Yeah, the Mullard copy seems to be pretty unreliable.. I have a few around, they seem ok but the insides look a little sketchy... tone is pretty nice, not a ton of gain and a little dark. Real mullards have this great fat warm forward mid character, and remain clear- the copy is similar but darker and not as gainy....

• Members

I will say this also- there's some new tubes that people seem to dig as much if not more than some of their NOS counterparts:

EI 12ax7- allthough they can go microphonic quickly and you might have to search for a good one, many people like the tone of these better than the Telefunkens they were modeled after. I like em, they used to sound great in my Top Hat King Royale (Brian from Top Hat liked these tubes quite a bit, along with the EI EL84's)

JJ 6V6- I've got a quartet of these here, but haven't tried them yet- they evidently sound great from what I've seen around the net, although maybe a bit more like a 6L6 than a 6V6, and they are reliable as hell evidently. People say they'll take high voltages all day long too. Look at the Watford Valves site for some test reports on these.

SED 6L6- I've never heard any complaints about these, people seem to love them.

TAD 6L6/5881- there's a couple different 6L6 variants from TAD, they are a chinese made tube, and people rave about them on the net, saying the 6L6 sounds as good as an RCA blackplate and the 5881 is great for that early breakup thing, and evidently they are very reliable...

Tung Sol reissue 5881- Guys like Doug Roccaforte say this tube rules, very reliable and sounds every bit as good as the original...

I think the bottom line is things are getting very promising in new tube production and there's lots of choices out there these days.

Anybody out there try any of the above mentioned tubes, or other new tubes, and what did you think??

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

NOS tubes are cool, but in my experience it has depended on the amp. Some newer amps just don't show that much difference between tubes, while the tweed and blackface fenders I've owned were much better sounding with telefunkens, mullards or RCAs. I do think the NOS tubes last longer, and in some cases that's good enough reason to use them if you can get a good deal on them.

Scary thing about newer tubes is that even when they try to make them 'just like the old ones' - like the GT Mullards - they still have problems. There are guys on this board that had several failures or problems with the GT Mullard 'reissues' that were never really cleared up, other than Myles popping on here to say that their tubes work great on a tester.

Pete

Agreed.
I just bought a Fender Champ and replaced the crappy tubes that were in it with a good RCA rectifier, a Mullard 12ax7 (the cv) and a Tung Sol 6v6gt. The difference in sound was amazing.
:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by guitar_face

Thanks, do you know of any tube review sites by any chance?

watfordvalves.com

but they are dealers, so I don't know how impartial their reviews are... there's reviews on thetubestore.com site as well...

Archived