NOS tubes - are they really better than current production tubes?

guitar_face

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And if you could spell properly, and knew how to write paragraphs and sentences correctly,

MAYBE WE COULD UNDERSTAND YOU BETTER?

Punctuation?

Anyway, what kind of tubes are in the 11 amps I have bought in the past....9 years, 'tard?

What do you think I listen to in the amps BEFORE I put in NOS tubes, RETARD???

If you'd {censored}ing read my posts, you'd see that I said I got them off Ebay when they were far, far cheaper than they are now, {censored}ING MONGOLIAN IDIOT.

Tight clean sound??? You do not know what the {censored} you're talking about. How many different tubes have you listened to,
genius?

goddamn

• Members

You are such {censored} CHUCK......
The words of someone desperate to win an arguement by saying the other is dim witted or lacking in english skills not the content of the arguement itself.
My sentences and puntuation are fine,,,,, I just read it back it and it makes perfect sense.....
My spelling is fine too if there are spelling mistakes your smart enough to work it out and get the idea ,arent you! and MY PUNCTUATION TOO...
I speak plain english not some other made up form of english ,,,,,its simple and easy
Now the fact that your so quick to jump on anyone elses opinions ,,quicker than a fly jumps on {censored} ,means you dont care what any one says, your gonna be right.
I read your posts and I knew you got cheap NOS tubes ,but there not cheap anymore.
Your "non musician friends" know how good these NOS tubes are and there far superior because you have done your home grown pole
Which proves NOS tubes are all that and are needed to get the best tone
or your great tone which we havent heard but personally ,
I dont want to hear because your too arragant to have any feel whatsoever (angry tone maybe)
This is a quote about what you said about new tubes QUOTE
New tubes suck, IMHO
Now thats a very broad statement blanketing all new tubes
I have tried a lot of new tubes and some NOS
Its you who hasnt tried many new tubes I think because you have a box of NOS tubes which you use and why would you bother if you have the golden tone
But you may have tried a lot of other types but you are so bias towards NOS you wouldnt like a new tube anyway.
This is because you have a box of NOS tubes which you think gives you a special or better tone than anyone else, because they are rarier than other, new tubes, leaving you with a unique and better tone than others.
A tone they cant get or very few others anyway.
Its in your interest to beleive NOS are better and tell others NOS tubes are better your BIAS.
Why dont you email places like the tubestore, the tubedepot and groove tubes and tell them and thousands of there customers that all new tubes and I will quote you" New tubes suck "
They must be selling a whole lot of crap to a whole lot of deaf people who know nothing of music or tube amps 1000s of idiots with bad tone.

• Members
Originally posted by tommythelurker

Ya, quality control was better back in the day, so NOS tubes typically are better built, last longer, and are closer to spec than current production tubes.

That's a very concise and concentrated bit of pop nostalgia. If you had been servicing and building tube gear when NOS was NEW STOCK you'd know differently.

Why did Marshalls US distributor put GE6550's in Siemens equipped Marshalls in the mid 70's class? All together now: BECAUSE THOSE PRECIOUS SIEMENS EL34S SHORTED OUT ALL THE TIME!

Sound different? That all sound just as different now as they did then. And there's a damn good reason that Sylvania 12AX7s were known as "churchbells".

:wave:

• Members

Thanks illroy but some of the guys wont beleive a word the NOS tube is god to them.
This my final thought on this question

TUBE tone is a good tone regardless of the conditions .
If you are lucky enough to get a few NOS tubes that are good for a descent price then thats good
There are many variables though, the same as with new ones, what brand are they ,the storage conditons, How will they break up.
The reliabilty of the model and longeviety and so on, how good is that particular NOS tube.
What you are forgetting here is, ONE DAY the NOS tubes will RUN OUT ,and what will you say then when you put in all NEW TUBES that your TONE IS {censored}> :mad:

Or will you look for a good quality new tube and be happy with good tone at a descent price

• Members

Well, there are two factors that come into play here:

The first factor is whether or not NOS tubes sound good to "you". That includes power tubes and preamp tubes.

The second factor is that NOS tubes typically do last longer if you buy them from someone who screens them. Screening isn't perfect, but it helps.

I happen to prefer NOS preamp tubes to the new production preamp tubes. I like Mullards, Telefunken, GE, RCA, older Tesla (not JJ), Philips and RFT. Some amps do sound better to me with those preamp tubes in them. I've only had one NOS preamp tube fail on me within the first month of purchasing it. I have some preamp tubes that are still kicking it hard that are over 5 years old.

As far as new production stuff is concerned on the preamp side... Well, I like the 9th Gen Chinese stuff and I like EH's in some amps. I've also started taking a liking to the JJ Ecc83s again and I absolutely hated that preamp tube a few years ago.

From my POV, it's all a mix and match process. We have a lot of different NOS and Current Production tubes that we can acquire. We have that luxury at the moment. It all depends on how much money you want to pay and whether or not the risk of losing money is a big deal to you. Luckily for me, the risk of losing money isn't a huge factor, but it may be for others. Does that make my amp or tone any better than someone else's? Not at all! As long as you like the tone of your amp and you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

Again, in most amplifiers I prefer NOS preamp and power tubes, but I also like current production stuff as well. It's a mood thing! ;)

Dale

• Members

I have a THD Univalve. If anything, it's a good testbed to try tubes on. I have some NOS tubes, nothing like a huge collection, but a few.

Yes, I can hear differences between tubes in this amp, even some that are the same brand. I've ended up with a few "favorite" ATs, AXs, and AUs. I'm kind of partial to old Mullards, RCAs and Miniwatts.

I don't know if you could hear the difference on a recording, but they sound and feel different when playing. I guess everyones milage will vary.

• Members
Originally posted by Kelly

True, but on the average good NOS tubes last 5 times longer than new production. In the end you haven't really saved any money unless you splurged on Mullard 12AX7s or Genelex KT66s.

BALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY!!!!!!!!

I have a BF Concert amp that's still kickin' with chinese 12AX7s I put in there back in 1986 bubba......gee, does that make 'em NOS?

Sounds like you've been talkin' to Miles...

Originally posted by Kelly

In the end you haven't really saved any money unless you splurged on Mullard 12AX7s or Genelex KT66s.

A little perspective would be a great cure for this crap. NOS is what's left of all the DOS (Dead Old Stock).

:D

• Members

>>>The words of someone desperate to win an arguement by saying the other is dim witted or lacking in english skills not the content of the arguement itself.

Yes, 'tard.

That's why you apologized for your {censored}-typing skills in that other stupid thread of yours, right 'tard. And blamed your equipment for the problems -- the mark of a true hack-'tard.

Swagger my 'box of NOS' ( i really like that name), swagger it deep and taste the bitter dregs of new-production {censored} tone.

You frost your day-old pound cake with best choice frosting, I'll frost my homemade red velvet cake with homemade frosting,
common man.

Ur ryte, eye re-reede ur postz and tey mak prefect sinse u donno need nuh puncationtomhack sees cuz weall know ushtupdid cous ten alll nuprudunction peeple see i am bigsukfukz hu lys about NOS and ly'd tomi fiends to getum tahaggre taht,

ANGRY CHUCK-SO-{censored}ED B rhyte!! NOS BETTAH!!"

anyway. No need for me to deparatelee prove my argument, you did it 4 mi.

Angry NOS fool.

• Members
Originally posted by Dale B.

The first factor is whether or not NOS tubes sound good to "you". That includes power tubes and preamp tubes.

So you can see I'm not trying to be a dick, I agree totally, but...

...NOS tubes typically do last longer if you buy them from someone who screens them.

Same goes for NNS (New New Stock). ;)

I like Mullards, Telefunken, GE, RCA, older Tesla (not JJ), Philips and RFT.

RFT made tubes under contract for Amperex, Siemens, Telefunken, Mullard, RCA and Sylvania - later known as Phillips.
Guess what? The tooling and machinery used to make the EL34's is now pumping out Sovtek, EH and Svetlana EL34 in Russia. oooops....

Well, I like the 9th Gen Chinese...

Just read an interesting post on vhtusers.com about that...

As long as you like the tone of your amp and you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

We reach. I am not Herbert.......

It's a mood thing!

Maybe I should get a mood ring...;)

• Members

YOU cant play guitar can you thats what it sounds like to me
I dont need anything but a good quality tube amp with properly biased NEW tubes and descent guitar
I m not gonna bother trying to tell an obviosly bias person ,still calling gear QUOTE

new-production {censored} tone

A statement with no backup and the facts are lots of people using new tubes including most stage playing professionals.

I love my tone and I have no need to change it and the majority comes from playing abilty anyway
You are just making a fool of yourself and showing what a true tool you are
Gear snobs are really boring and pathetic and a lot really lack feel and playing abilty and thats why they compensate with special gear which will never improve your playing
Amplified crap playing is just louder crap.

• Members

Originally posted by LiquidPCB

Gear snobs are really boring and pathetic and a lot really lack feel and playing abilty and thats why they compensate with special gear which will never improve your playing

Amplified crap playing is just louder crap.

Werd....

• Members
Originally posted by illroy

So you can see I'm not trying to be a dick, I agree totally, but...

Same goes for NNS (New New Stock).
;)

RFT made tubes under contract for Amperex, Siemens, Telefunken, Mullard, RCA and Sylvania - later known as Phillips.

Guess what? The tooling and machinery used to make the EL34's is now pumping out Sovtek, EH and Svetlana EL34 in Russia. oooops....

Just read an interesting post on vhtusers.com about that...

We reach. I am not Herbert.......

Maybe I should get a mood ring...
;)

Not necessarily. See, the New New Stock stuff does have flaws here and there.

The quality of the steel used isn't what it used to be when they were making tubes back in the day, so that's strike one. The steel runs in Russia, Slovakia and China aren't of the same quality of what it was back in the day.

The cathode materials aren't as good as they were back in the day. That's strike two.

Also, you mentioned the 80's Chinese 12ax7's. Those are considered to be NOS these days as well. People were chomping at the bits to get them a few years ago. They have gobs of gain. Some folks don't like them, yet some do. They were in fairly good supply up until about a year ago.

You left yourself open on the Genelex KT66 comment that Chuck made. Those tubes are rated at 11,000 hours of hard playing time. 11,000 hours!!! Good Mullard preamp tubes can hold up for years on end and so will Telefunkens.

If you can find one current production preamp tube that will last for 11,000 hours before they decide to short, I would really like to know about them. That's playing one hour a day for 30 years or two hours a day for 15 years.

It won't happen any time soon.

Have fun with your childish, internet argument about tubes. :bor: I've got better things to be doing. :wave:

• Members

Maybe, but I'm gonna buy new tubes anyway because I don't want tube manufacturing to shut down entirely.
I'm not a cork sniffer, if a mic can't tell the difference I don't really care. Go listen to those recorded tube comparisons on the gear page... the difference is not noticable.

• Members

Tried to be nice and look where it got me.....

OK. Your rules now pipsqueak.

Not necessarily. See, the New New Stock stuff does have flaws here and there.

As did everything else 'back in the day", see...

Also, you mentioned the 80's Chinese 12ax7's. Those are considered to be NOS these days as well. People were chomping at the bits to get them a few years ago. They have gobs of gain.

This is comedy central material. :D Obviously you don't have any or you wouldn't have just dropped such terrific trou...

If you can find one current production preamp tube that will last for 11,000 hours before they decide to short, I would really like to know about them. That's playing one hour a day for 30 years or two hours a day for 15 years.

Your maxplexion is showing again herbie. I've got a 12 year old set of Svetlana KT88s that are doing just fine. I already mentioned the chinese preamp tube in my Concert...in all those other words up there...but just to give you the benefit of the doubt, let's speak again in 15 years, mmmkay?

I've got better things to be doing.

Hopefully you're better at that than this!

• Members

Almost forgot...

The quality of the steel used isn't what it used to be when they were making tubes back in the day, so that's strike one. The steel runs in Russia, Slovakia and China aren't of the same quality of what it was back in the day.

The cathode materials aren't as good as they were back in the day. That's strike two.

Right on herb! That lesser quality Russian and Eastern European steel used to make all your fave NOS tubes at the RFT factory in....where class? EAST GERMANY is of much lesser quality than the lesser quality Russian and Eastern European steel used to make the new tubes using the same machinery.

Strike Three.

OK, back to whatever it is you really do for a living...

• Members

Originally posted by chuckgp

Wow, all NOS tubes were made in East Germany at the RFT plant.

Never knew that.

There is a distinction to be mede between......................

What I said and ...................................................................

What you say I said.........................................

Why do I speak to you like this?

Because when I speak to you like an adult......................................

You don't listen.

Archived