recommend a good 25-30 watt amp

Bassified

• Members

it's that time of year again where you purchase new gear, well sorta.

i play rock and i'm looking for a good 30 watt amp that sounds nice with my effects. yes i like effects, but i know not every amp gives out good distortion or works well with effects processors and pedals. specifically, i have a zoom gfx1 processor through my bass amp. which is the best amp with that processor?i just think it's still limited and wanted to have a larger sound range through a guitar amp. i have an esp ltd ec-50.

my price range is anything from $0 - $225 USD.

oh right, solid state only and would be nice if it had recording line out. that's why i am still considering the roland cube30 ($225).

suggestions needed!

• Members

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but good and $225 are pretty close to mutually exclusive. For a bit more you can get a used Classic 30, but $225 will get you anything from sucky to marginally acceptable.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but good and $225 are pretty close to mutually exclusive. For a bit more you can get a used Classic 30, but $225 will get you anything from sucky to marginally acceptable.

a lot of people recommend the peavey classic 30, but i don't see it around often. or maybe i'm not looking hard enough.

i don't know if $225usd is not enough, but most 30 watt amps fall in that range. again, i'm not looking for a 5watt - 30 watt tube amp. so tha's the main difference.

what's a good solid state amp (30 watts) that is more than $225usd? i heard bad reviews from marshall, especially on distortion.

• Members

If you are going to keep your zoom then you don't need an amp with DFX (which is the basically the same stuff again). I also don't think you should worry too much about the line out feature - you could also probably use the output from the zoom directly into a recorder.

I still would like to know what bass amp you are using otherwise it's hard to know what to suggest that would improve on it.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

If you are going to keep your zoom then you don't need an amp with DFX (which is the basically the same stuff again). I also don't think you should worry too much about the line out feature - you could also probably use the output from the zoom directly into a recorder.

I still would like to know what bass amp you are using otherwise it's hard to know what to suggest that would improve on it.

oh right, well i currently have a yorkville xm100c. the effects are okay on the amp, but it's still a bass amp.

one thing that's kind of annoying is that it's 100 watts and when u play guitar through it, it sounds like 120 watts. the volume is just way too much for my bedroom. the volume is close to zero, but when you have the volume at such a low notch, then the tone doesn't come out distinctively. not sure if you ever used a bass amp.

but that's why u buy guitar amps for guitars. i used to be a bassist, so yeah.

i assume 30 watts is what i need. small jam sessions with friends and practice in the bedroom.

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

one thing that's kind of annoying is that it's 100 watts and when u play guitar through it, it sounds like 120 watts.

That's sort of like saying "I was driving at 70 mph but it felt like 72!"

If you're as limited in funds as you say you are, I'd go with a Cube. Everyone seems to like those. $225 won't buy you hardly anything. Most of the pedals on my board cost more than that.

• Members

If it were me I'd sell the Zoom and buy a Vox AD30VT. I think the effects will be an improvement, it has the line out and it sounds pretty good.

Second choice would be the Roland Cube.

Try them both.

BTW: Many guitarists play through bass amps.

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

That's sort of like saying "I was driving at 70 mph but it felt like 72!"

A guitar will seem louder than a bass because it is pitched in "voice" part of the frequency band which your ears are more sensitive to.

• Members

A guitar will seem louder than a bass because it is pitched in "voice" part of the frequency band which your ears are more sensitive to.

exactly.

actually, i thought about the vox, but i think the roland is a safe choice. i dun wana sell the zoom gfx1 anyway.

but if roland digi effects?

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

what's the difference between cosm, efx, and dfx?

Nothing really. They're just different labels for digital modelling of analogue effects.

Use your ears to decide what, if anything, you want.

• Members

If it were me I'd sell the Zoom and buy a Vox AD30VT. I think the effects will be an improvement, it has the line out and it sounds pretty good.

Second choice would be the Roland Cube.

Try them both.

BTW: Many guitarists play through bass amps.

the bass amp guitarists use isn't the actual bassman for bassists. there's another bass amp that is actually for guitarists and they use it for blues i heard.

all bass amps give such a clean sound, and it doesn't make the guitar sound unique. i tried a guitar through yorkvilles and ampegs. they just don't sound right and the cleans are kind of disturbing. way too trebly.

i think i'll just have to settle for a small amp. most likely the roland, unless there are other suggestions. so far, i am really leaning on that based on all the positivity around it. even a reconding line out!

Archived