Versatile Amp for $800

fourthave_cafe

• Members

Need some help looking for the perfect amp. I play a wide range of things, from Dream Theater and Megadeth, to Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Strokes. Most of the stuff I listen to is Japanese, but anyone knows the bands LUNA SEA, or the pillows, would be nice for you guys to help out hehe.

It would be great for it to be loud enough to play gigs as well.

Thanks a lot :thu:

• Members

Actually, the Carvin Legacy is a great and versatile two channel amp that you might look into. It can really cover a wide range of styles with authority..except maybe really extreme metal sounds.

The clean channel is really remarkable. It can take a little getting used to, as it is sooo punchy and present. The overdrive is slightly Bogner-ish, but really, this amp is its own beast and has its own characteristic sound, with a lot of its own personality. The overdrive channel is very warm, and it not fizzy or buzzy at all. Some people find that there is not enough gain on tap in this channel, while others hear things differently and are more than pleased.

So, it's worth checking out, if you get the chance. They are relatively inexpensive, and good examples can be found affordably on E-bay and elsewhere.

I will confess that a Legacy head thru a 4x12 loaded with Celestion Greenbacks has been my main 'rock' rig for the past several years. I went through a period where I liked it, then didn't like it (I wanted more gain on tap); but recently, I really like it again. When ya vibe to what the Legacy can do, you realize that it has monstrous tone and vibe. Really cool. But it has its own sound; it sounds like a Legacy.

Also, I've heard reports that some have found that it performs differently with different guitars and set-ups, so 'test flights' might be recommended. And by the way, you won't necessarily sound like Steve Vai with this amp. It is a potential tone tool for any interested player.

And...it's loud!!!

Archived