Amps that don't suck.

djchase7

• Members

Tell me what you know. I'm looking for the most versatility possible.

What amp can do it all?

I need something for playing live shows, dynamic rock, soft and heavy, slow and fast, clean and dirty. I like distortion from mesas, the overdrive from Marshall

• Members

I own a custom YCV40 (had some things done to it just to improve reliability, the tone is only slightly refined through tube and speaker swaps). It can do it all, but it cant do it all well enough. The area where it shines is cleans (beautiful sparkling cleans with a good weber speaker), and a smooth mid-gain lead and rhythm.... with gain from 3-6 on the dial... (think Gary Moore, etc)... once you go past that it gets too bass heavy and out of control.

Other amps to look at. Mesa F-Series. Particularly the Mesa F-30 head because it has el84 amps so it will give you a good mix of booth chimier brit character as well as typical smooth mesa distortion. I run mine into a fender supersonic 4*12 and it sounds incredible, very versatile amp.

Other amps I can recommend you from my experience when shopping around. Rivera Chub 40, fantastic combo and incredibly versatile. I almost bought it but went for the mesa in the end. I will probably go back and buy that Rivera eventualy though, it does everything you want perfectly.

• Members

Genz Benz El Diablo 100 is really versitile. 1/2 power switch, nice clean, solid crunch, built in compressor and lead attack. 5 button footswitch.

I'm selling mine in like new condition if you're interested.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Other amps I can recommend you from my experience when shopping around. Rivera Chub 40, fantastic combo and incredibly versatile. I almost bought it but went for the mesa in the end. I will probably go back and buy that Rivera eventualy though, it does everything you want perfectly.

No greater truth I can think of. I told my wife the Traynor would be the last amp I ever buy, but.......

If I have a windfall or win the lottery or something, I will go directly to the Rivera store, no questions asked, and THOSE will be the last amps I ever buy!

• Members

Originally posted by soundchaser59

No greater truth I can think of. I told my wife the Traynor would be the last amp I ever buy, but.......

If I have a windfall or win the lottery or something, I will go directly to the Rivera store, no questions asked, and THOSE will be the last amps I ever buy!

Its a very nice combo. I'm thinking about getting one in the future, and getting a custom matching cab for under it so it looks like a mini stack. Theres a few other things I'd want first though.

• Members
Originally posted by ss454

Genz Benz El Diablo 100 is really versitile. 1/2 power switch, nice clean, solid crunch, built in compressor and lead attack. 5 button footswitch.

I'm selling mine in like new condition if you're interested.

what this guy said, but if you dont want 100watts (it does switch to 50) you could find a sixty watt one (switches to 30 :thu: )

Archived